Author Topic: How do I start fishing perch?  (Read 3218 times)

Offline Riffer

• IceShanty Rookie
How do I start fishing perch?
« on: Dec 16, 2007, 11:31 PM »
So I'm trying to plan a trip next weekend for perch and I have never never fished them before, so how do I find were in the lake to make my holes, what should I use or anything else I should know.

Thanks

Offline MacEnvy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: How do I start fishing perch?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2007, 08:11 AM »
Get a bathymetric map of the lake from your provincial Fish & Wildlife department (or get a commercial topo map that includes lake bottom features), and look for structure - dropoffs/points/inlets/etc.  That's how I always start when I go to a new lake.  Be prepared to drill a lot of holes - you'll need to find and follow the school.

Offline holeinhide

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • have ice will fish!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2007, 09:40 AM »
Perch like flats they form large schools and graze across the bottom allmost like cattle. They also need to hide so any structure on or near the flat is a plus. I find in the areas I fish they hang around the 20' depth range but I have caught them in 1' up through 55 FOW. When you hook up with one bring it almost to the ice and then let it run, they always try to get back to the school so watch which way the line goes and you will know the direction the school is moving.

Offline MacEnvy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2007, 09:53 AM »
When you hook up with one bring it almost to the ice and then let it run, they always try to get back to the school so watch which way the line goes and you will know the direction the school is moving.

What a great tip!  I hadn't heard that before, but I'm definitely going to try it.

chimo

« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2007, 09:55 AM »
Theres 2 ways I like to start.  I'll either drill a bunch of holes over an area I think looks good and then take the fish finder to each one until I find one with fish and only start jigging when I get a mark, or, if I don't have the fish finder, I will still drill a bunch of holes but this time I will put some tipups in with small minnows and jig the rest of the holes.  Move alot until you get some action and then move again when it slows down.  When you get a fish on the tipups go over and jig that hole and when it slows down, put the trap back in.  good fishin

chimo

Offline icefishinman88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2007, 10:42 AM »
 When you hook up with one bring it almost to the ice and then let it run, they always try to get back to the school so watch which way the line goes and you will know the direction the school is moving.
[/quote]
Good tip!Never gave that a thought.Thanks :tipup: :tipup:

Offline walkonwater1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2007, 01:04 AM »
"When you hook up with one bring it almost to the ice and then let it run, they always try to get back to the school so watch which way the line goes and you will know the direction the school is moving."

Interesting tip!
During open water I have caught fish and "jugged'em" by tying a long length of line to a balloon and then follow the balloon to stay on the school.
I don't think we are far from the age of having pocket transmitters and receivers to electronically tag fish to stay on the school..Ya never know!

Anyhow, perch are a fairly easy fish to catch...Usually. Keep moving and don't waste time on unproductive holes...This is where a flasher can save you a huge amount of time.
There is an old saying " Big moves find fish, small moves catch fish." Look for transition zones like islands, points, weed lines...But don't overlook the basin either. Also, I like to look for trees that have fallen into fairly deep water.
I like to start using a fairly heavy jig (pimple, rocker, rapala, etc)..until I get some action then if the action slows, drill a series of holes in the area and possibly downsize..Hard to say without a flasher to see what is going on. I am a firm believer in bait (mealies, wax, spikes) over plastics. Let your jig drop to the bottom then raise the jig a few inches to a foot off the bottom.  If you do get into fish watch to see if the fish is spitting up any bait and look down its throut. It is not uncommon to recover a fresh or partially digested herring etc..  I have smeared my jig in the regurgitated bait and done very well with that..Especially on perch and crappies. Also, I frequently take some fatheads with me in a ziplock bag. No water, just fresh fatheads in a bag. The bait dealer may think your goofy, but I hate carrying a bait bucket with me and fresh dead on a jig works just fine and kept cool, you'll be surprised at how long those little buggers can last!
Be patient, keep moving and good fishing!...If you are  tip-up kind of guy: Please ignore the for-mentioned!   ;D
Kids that hunt, trap and fish don't mug little old ladies.

Big moves to find'em, small moves to catch'em!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.