The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: I Closed this crappy ice season!  (Read 461 times)

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I Closed this crappy ice season!
« on: Feb 27, 2024, 07:46 AM »
Well, Sunday was my last day on the ice this year. I have some commitments Fri/Sat and then I leave for Hilton Head S.C. early Sunday morning for the week. GOnna take my kayak and "soft water" gear and do some inshore fishing.

This was the shortest and worst season (for ice) since I have been ice-fishing(25+ years).  Looking back on my pics, I got on first ice on Jan 17th(latest start to the ice season ever) and Feb 25th was my last day. Had the sketchiest ice ever.................. .......only measured more than 5" one time and that was Sunday on Belmont. Had to drive a bit further this year and take some days off during the week, but managed to fish 13 days.

But we made the most of it and had some good times. Got a new flasher and tried out some new accessories, so next season should be a banner year if we have better ice. Never got to do an overnighter, but did do a bit of nite fishing twice.

Got big plans for next season and hope to make up for the lousy seasons we have had the last couple................ .........

As bad as it was, we did have some good days! 😎

Where's the FISH?!

Offline kmu70

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: I Closed this crappy ice season!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2024, 08:21 AM »
Me i only got out 4 times, didnt even fish my favorite lake ,shohola, between work and lousy ice ,terrible year. worst year in my close to 50 yrs.
RUTT Nutt want to thank you for all your reports, without you, there would of been very few reports. not sure whats up .theres only small core of people
on here these days. Good luck in S.C. Hope to meet one day on the ice.

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "If you plant corn you get corn!"
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2024, 08:52 AM »
Pretty rough season on the hardwater.  Between bringing another child into this world and my pops getting ill I only got out 1 day of the possible days to fish around here.  I'll relish on that until next season as sometimes you gotta be happy with what you got not what you want!  My gear has been put away since the beginning of February.  Time to break out the long poles and hit the trails with the wheeler.

Rutt - Poseidon's is a solid place for some cold beer and fresh oysters.  Hilton Head is a nice spot.  Rode a bike across that island several times always make a stop or two at the Salty Dog never did any fishing there on the island, enjoy and watch for gators!

If only God would come down in the form of a man and explain everything to us.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2024, 09:29 AM »
Me i only got out 4 times, didnt even fish my favorite lake ,shohola, between work and lousy ice ,terrible year. worst year in my close to 50 yrs.
RUTT Nutt want to thank you for all your reports, without you, there would of been very few reports. not sure whats up .theres only small core of people
on here these days. Good luck in S.C. Hope to meet one day on the ice.

You’re quite welcome! Just trying to do my part................

Yep- hopefully we get better ice next year and can organize some type of informal gathering on the ice somewhere for an Ice Shanty “meet and greet!”  ;)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2024, 09:35 AM »
Pretty rough season on the hardwater.  Between bringing another child into this world and my pops getting ill I only got out 1 day of the possible days to fish around here.  I'll relish on that until next season as sometimes you gotta be happy with what you got not what you want!  My gear has been put away since the beginning of February.  Time to break out the long poles and hit the trails with the wheeler.

Rutt - Poseidon's is a solid place for some cold beer and fresh oysters.  Hilton Head is a nice spot.  Rode a bike across that island several times always make a stop or two at the Salty Dog never did any fishing there on the island, enjoy and watch for gators!

AMEN on the “grateful for what we got!” 😜

Thanks for the info! I’ll be staying at my uncle’s place but probably not fishing fresh water. They get some gators in their ponds on a pretty regular basis- he’s in Okatie. My daughter’s college tennis team will be down there, so I hope to try the saltwater fishing in between matches.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2024, 02:04 PM »
Only got out for a total of 6 times this year, including the 3 days this weekend up in NY.  Caught so many fish on the Lake of Isle, Chipawau and Goose bay in NY this weekend.  Mostly small perch, but fun.  2 of us caught a solid 400 fish in 3 days.  On better note, had one of the best days on Black Moshannon with first ice.  Caught a fair amount of quality fish that day, but next day was poor.  It's Blacky, enough said.  Gonna start getting boat out this week.  Nez

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2024, 03:01 PM »
I’m on the fence.  I haven’t put my gear away, but I know it’s probably done.  Holding out for one last hard freeze.  You just know we’ll get a snowstorm in March, will we get safe ice, too?

Offline arkansaspete

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2024, 04:20 PM »
Thanks again Rutt from the Sepa guys or my season would have been even shorter this was the worst season ever started ice fishing in the 70s I hope next year is better don’t have many more seasons left in me. God bless an hope to chat next year. A/P :tipup:

Offline pabassman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2024, 06:39 PM »
 There is a report of two guys going thru on Prompton today. Sounds like both got out.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2024, 07:09 PM »
Thanks again Rutt from the Sepa guys or my season would have been even shorter this was the worst season ever started ice fishing in the 70s I hope next year is better don’t have many more seasons left in me. God bless an hope to chat next year. A/P :tipup:

You’re welcome- I know you guys gotta really drive to find ice the last couple years. Always glad to help out my fellow hard water diehards when I can!  ;)  Hope to meet some of y’all on the ice next season.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline onlyhrdwtr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 28, 2024, 02:57 PM »
Yep, it was a tough season. But at least I got back 3 times for a total of 11 day's. The hard part was 7 of those days I had a life jacket on, and tied to a tree or my truck with about 200 foot of rope, felt like a dog on a run.  Made it tough getting around my gear. But still had a great time, and always caught fish, sometimes not many. So I really can't complain. Just looking forward to a better season next year.  And just want to thank everyone for the reports of the conditions on the lakes. Plus, really happy the 2 fishermen that  made it out safe on Prompton.  Enjoy the summer. (Just different gear.)

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2024, 11:43 AM »
This season was ruined by El Niño. Look what happened in CA. This weather pattern will change in a few years. Hang in there till next year.
AKA Dinkmaster

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.