The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Any Pa. Old Timers still around?  (Read 3571 times)

Offline nepa old man

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Any Pa. Old Timers still around?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 22, 2024, 02:12 PM »
I’m still around, 20 yrs on here, just not as much as I’d like to. 67 now and old age & health issues did me in, being on blood thinners for a DVT blood clot last year and havin ms makes it hard to handle the weather anymore, but I still chomp at the bit to get out, met some great guys, and always had a good time fishing with AP and Van, at least I got to teach my grandson the ropes before I involuntarily retired, but ya never know, Brady came back, lol.
Good Friends, Good Family, Good Food, Good Fishin.

Offline jitterbug

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #31 on: Jan 22, 2024, 07:30 PM »
I joined this site in 03 I’ll be 81 years old next week, but I met some nice people from this site through the years.   I didn’t get out at all last year and I’m hoping to get out maybe tomorrow for the first time this year.   Tight lines to all….

Offline Nam 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Never Forget Them! All Gave Some but Some Gave ALL
« Reply #32 on: Jan 23, 2024, 05:47 AM »
I am around still and checking out the site for years. I have not been out in over 10 years I think. I do miss it but I have some issues to prevent me getting out there. Be careful venturing on the ice.

Offline digger953

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • build a bridge an float under it
« Reply #33 on: Jan 23, 2024, 06:26 AM »
im still around dont post to much anymore because of the lack of ice but still get out as much as i can

Offline Gambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #34 on: Jan 23, 2024, 08:07 AM »
I'm still here.
Mainly just a lurker anymore. I joined in 2002. I'm 60 years old now and a little bit rounder than I used to be. I still get out when we have ice. It has come full cicle for me. I used to take my son (lil maggot) out and keep him baited up and warm. Now that he is a spry 23, he does all of the work and takes care of me.
Take Care and God Bless
Rick

Offline PaCarpboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 23, 2024, 08:10 AM »
You’ve got a good boy. You did well.

Offline icecube

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #36 on: Jan 23, 2024, 12:32 PM »
  I am still here. Went fishing yesterday! Takes a little longer and a lot more energy to go icefishing. But still love it! ;)

Offline Preacher_man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Have a Real CRAPPIE Day!!!!
« Reply #37 on: Jan 23, 2024, 02:33 PM »
 Well I got out last nite for the first in 2 yrs. Didn't tear them up but I did manage a few gills. One was 9". It was just felt good to back on the ice with my Vexilar. 
        And to all you Ol'Timers I salute you from an Ol Vietnam Vet. God Bless you all and Tight Lines!!!
TEAM  PA.

Offline caddy084

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Jan 23, 2024, 03:33 PM »
   It's been 20 years on this forum for me. I don't post as much as I use to these days.
   It's purely due to the fact that the last few years we're slim pickings for ice. It seems the days of having good ice mid December to mid March are long gone :'(

Offline Jonebo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 24, 2024, 11:50 AM »
I'm still kicking. Will be 70 in a few months. I started ice fishing in the mid 80's and been on this site from 2003. I still enjoy it {when we have ice}. I must admit, it's not as easy as  it used to be. I'm on blood thinners dealing with AFIB, so I mind the cold more, but I will keep on fishing as long as I can. I didn't realize how many "oldtimers" were out there. Good to see. Gotta keep on moving and enjoy it when we can.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 24, 2024, 11:54 AM »
Reading thru this thread makes me feel YOUNG again! I'm only 58 so hopefully I have many ice seasons left!  ;) ;D

I started ice fishing many years ago mainly just to break cabin fever. Never really cared if I caught a fish or not. The goal was just to get out in the fresh air.  I started with a hand auger, one rod, a bucket to sit on and a couple lures. Over the years I made friends with some hard core ice anglers and started really getting into it! Now I probably have more gear than most. ANd I am out there as much as I can when we have safe ice.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
« Reply #41 on: Jan 24, 2024, 12:00 PM »
Lets see if we can buddy-up. My son dinkmaster moved to State College and fishes the lakes down there. I modified his Garmin Livescope for icefishing. I can see the fish, but I still can't get them to bite. LOL :)
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline newberry kid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 24, 2024, 03:49 PM »
Joined January 2008 getting closed to 20 years .Started back in 1975 , made a spud bar in shop class to cut through the ice ! Rose Valley was hot back then .

Offline kmu70

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 25, 2024, 08:22 AM »
Been here since 2009 ,dont post much but enjoy listening, started fishing with my dad when i was 4,early 70's still doing same dads 77 now. hes an absolute fanatic.
worst year ever. usually go north , cant even do that  ,only little bit better there.

Offline fred46

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Jan 25, 2024, 04:53 PM »
Been a lurker on iceshanty for years and a recent transplant to Pa but started ice fishing in 1970. Was still in high school. Used hand me down gear that probably belonged in a museum. Home made tipups with lead weight slides. An iron chopping bar with a leather thong for the wrist. A strip of white bacon fat for bait. Fished the NYC reservoirs. Very few people on the ice back then.. it took a few years to learn how to catch fish.

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
« Reply #45 on: Jan 26, 2024, 11:55 AM »
I am retired and drive a school bus. I spend my pay on ice fishing equipment. PM me if you want to buy up in Luzerne or Lackawanna County on a weekend? By the way, how are lakes in the Poconos holding up?
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #46 on: Jan 28, 2024, 11:32 AM »
I'm still here but not sure of being an old timer to the page since I joined in 2011.  Now in actual age I'm creaping up on that and with the lousy ice fishing season last year and how this year is turning out I have the grumpy part down big time.   ;D

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
« Reply #47 on: Jan 28, 2024, 06:01 PM »
Hey guys, why don’t you put your age on your profile. I remember fishing on Tuscarora about 15 years ago and an old timer in his 70,s walked out using a cane. My son was 10 and He said, “hey dad I hope you can do that someday.
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Jan 29, 2024, 06:02 PM »
I’m 72 this year. I’m probably gonna make this my last year on the ice. Gonna be selling a lot of really good stuff in February. When I’m done I’ll post pics of some of the gear. Eskimo shanty, Humminbird ice 5, portable livescope LV 32 only a year old, rod case, jet sled, rods and reels and jigs and spoons. Auger and chisel too. Extra lithium batteries and Aqua vue 5 micro camera too. Lots of great stuff. Pics will be posted in February. I’m hoping some guys will enjoy using this stuff for years to come. Chauncy.

Offline chapru

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 30, 2024, 05:31 AM »
I watched the site for a few years before I joined in 2017, and have been ice fishing for 45 years. Every year I pray we have seasons like the early 90’s when we were cutting through 20” of ice and fishing into late March/early April.
   At 63 I’m still pretty active, but with the latest disappointing seasons I envision fishing the next great 20” ice season in a Jazzy with spiked tires dragging my junk behind me. Hope the battery holds up.

Offline saphireblue99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 30, 2024, 06:42 AM »
I watched the site for a few years before I joined in 2017, and have been ice fishing for 45 years. Every year I pray we have seasons like the early 90’s when we were cutting through 20” of ice and fishing into late March/early April.
   At 63 I’m still pretty active, but with the latest disappointing seasons I envision fishing the next great 20” ice season in a Jazzy with spiked tires dragging my junk behind me. Hope the battery holds up.
  Ive entered the world of lithium power, now I have to worry if I will hold up ;D

Offline chapru

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 30, 2024, 01:17 PM »
  Ive entered the world of lithium power, now I have to worry if I will hold up ;D
    I’m not worried; if I “dirt nap” during the season my buddies will do “A Weekend at Bernie’s” with me.
    They’re the kind of guys that kept calling my cellphone after I dropped it down a hole to see if it would bubble when it rang.

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #52 on: Jan 30, 2024, 01:52 PM »
I've been around since the beginning of IS and am now 65 going on 66 this year. I'm still here now and then. Crappy short ice seasons are partly to blame, and the rest is my supreme ability to procrastinate.
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #53 on: Feb 03, 2024, 11:33 AM »
Reading thru this thread makes me feel YOUNG again! I'm only 58 so hopefully I have many ice seasons left!  ;) ;D

I started ice fishing many years ago mainly just to break cabin fever. Never really cared if I caught a fish or not. The goal was just to get out in the fresh air.  I started with a hand auger, one rod, a bucket to sit on and a couple lures. Over the years I made friends with some hard core ice anglers and started really getting into it! Now I probably have more gear than most. ANd I am out there as much as I can when we have safe ice.

I'll vouche for him being out as much as he can.  Heck he even resorted to Operation Dingy.  I'm a hardcore die hard ice fisherman but Rutt takes it to a new level.   ;D

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Feb 03, 2024, 03:06 PM »
I'll vouche for him being out as much as he can.  Heck he even resorted to Operation Dingy.  I'm a hardcore die hard ice fisherman but Rutt takes it to a new level.   ;D

LMBO! I haven’t had to activate OPERATION ICE-DINGY in a few years. Although if we lose much more ice, I might have to ...............to get back on the ice next weekend!  ;) ;D
Where's the FISH?!

Offline lovethoseyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Feb 04, 2024, 06:18 AM »
I'm 77 and if this year is done, I'll only put my gear away until next year.  God willing if I'm healthy, I'll be out on the ice.  I remember being at camp years ago in turkey season with my uncle when after supper he told me he couldn't wait to go ice fishing.  He was in his early 80's then and made it on the ice a few years after.  He's passed away since, but I think about him every time I get a chance to go.  He started me hunting when I was 14 and also took me fishing.  I wish he was still around; he was great company and a great teacher.  I'm sure he could still give me a tip of two on hunting, fishing, ice fishing and life.

Offline arkansaspete

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #56 on: Feb 04, 2024, 08:55 AM »
Still around lookin for ice this year to try out my new knee that’s attached to my new hip miss fishing with my buddy nepa old man. Hope meet up again we have to get some ice here soon but just in case I cleaned the leaves out da boat . A/P :tipup:

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
« Reply #57 on: Feb 04, 2024, 01:28 PM »
We should have an outing/get together next ice season. We could have it at a state park area near the water. I was in a club where we had one every year. I can contact a State Rep for info. if you are interested.
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #58 on: Feb 04, 2024, 06:11 PM »
I'd be interested in that but the big problem is Mother Nature needs to get her act together and give us a good ice fishing season, Lord knows we deserve it.  The other idea is we can start a GoFundMe to get a tanker load of liquid nitrogen to freeze a lake over for us. 

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Feb 04, 2024, 06:19 PM »
We should have an outing/get together next ice season. We could have it at a state park area near the water. I was in a club where we had one every year. I can contact a State Rep for info. if you are interested.

Why not have it ON the lake? I’d be up for something like that...............

Maybe have a chili cookoff or something like that. Take a short break from fishing at mid-day and walk around and taste a sample of everybody’s cooking! 😋😋😋
Where's the FISH?!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.