The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Any Pa. Old Timers still around?  (Read 3570 times)

Offline Preacher_man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Have a Real CRAPPIE Day!!!!
Any Pa. Old Timers still around?
« on: Jan 20, 2024, 06:11 PM »
  Hey, Was just wondering if there were any ol timers still out there. I've been posting on here since 2003. Seems like yesterday!!   ::)
TEAM  PA.

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Any Pa. Old Timers still around?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2024, 06:19 PM »
  Hey, Was just wondering if there were any ol timers still out there. I've been posting on here since 2003. Seems like yesterday!!   ::)
Im still on here. Van-cleaver is too. This site isn't the great site like it used to be. Most people do all the posting on waste book now. I wish they would post conditions on here. This site has been to good me over the years I’ve met some great friends on here as well. Ice fisherman are the friendliest people.  :thumbsup:thumbsup:

Offline Eddie Spaghetti

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2024, 06:38 PM »
18 years for me. I miss those days, PA got a little more ice then. Come on Polar vortex!

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2024, 10:27 PM »
Indiana Lou still here. I guess I'm an old timer. Started back in 2002. Been ice fishing since the mid nineties.

Offline Jiggerdoodle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2024, 04:18 AM »
Don’t post a lot.  Just an old lurker.  Been ice fishing since 1979.  My how things have changed.

Offline Butkus51

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2024, 06:08 AM »
Started in 1980, with an old spoon auger, on Upper Bucks county lakes. My first trip was on Peace Valley. When do you think the last time that lake was iced fished. Towhee was always the best lake and back then you even could get on Nockamixon.

Offline after-4

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2024, 06:15 AM »
Chopped first hole with a hatchet late 60s with high school.buddies think I woulda learned. Going today Milwaukee and clam plate, sold Jiffy 5 yrs ago

Offline lovethoseyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2024, 06:53 AM »
"Chopped first hole with a hatchet late 60s with high school.buddies think I woulda learned. Going today Milwaukee and clam plate, sold Jiffy 5 yrs ago"
That's sounds almost like me, except I had to scrap my Eskimo 2 years ago. Hope everyone is well and the rest of the old timers are around for a long, long time.

Offline builder

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • don't get drug in
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2024, 07:57 AM »
Builders here. Don’t get out out anymore. Got sick in 2016 and that knocked me out good. Better now but can’t handle the cold anymore. Sayers was my heaven on earth for many years. Miss it now. I get out there in my boat in warm weather and sit comfortably jigging with my ice rods and vexilar in the cut over the side of the boat. Can’t wait to get out there again. Everyone safe safe and dry

Offline saphireblue99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2024, 08:31 AM »
Yeah legs aren't as nimble as they used to be, don't know how I would handle drilling through 25 inches with a hand auger at Tobyhanna anymore. Now My sons drag around my 10 inch  Jiffy dinosaur to drill holes. Met alot of good people, many not around anymore or retired from the sport, remember always seeing Perchjerker at Promised Land no matter what the weather, The fun Gouldsboro Tournaments. Went first time in early 70's when I was a pup at Beltzville, that was the day that 2 guys fell through the ice and drowned by Preachers there, Think it was a Sunday , late season Feb or early March, 70 degree freek heat wave, some open water, something I would never ever do today, Still some great, accurate,  condition reports on here from spider and other guys . Amazing how the equiptment has evolved the last 20 years, life goes on :(

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2024, 08:55 AM »
Not sure if I count as an old timer, but I  have been ice fishing for probably 35+ years and have been a member of the IS site for about 17 years.

I agree, not as many quality posts as there were years ago, but there still are  enough to keep me coming back.

Hope to meet some of the old timers on the ice soon.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2024, 09:44 AM »
Blessed to have reached 70 so I guess I qualify. Sadly this is shaping up to be he shortest ice season in memory. Be careful out there; there were two incidents here yesterday (SE PA) and probably will be more today. Be safe all!

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2024, 09:58 AM »
I’m still visiting the site but not fishing much anymore. Guess I’ll formally retire from the ice this year. I’m 72 now and dragging all that stuff up and down the hills to get to the ice takes its toll on me now. Even with my Smitty sled. You guys keep on enjoying your time on the ice. I have for a long time. Enjoyed this site greatly over the years.

Offline jarhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2024, 10:03 AM »
Well I know I'm definitely one im just shy of 75 and feel it.Ive ice fished since i was a kid I'm also calling it a day for hard water fishing just don't like the cold any more.Ive had the pleasure of fishing with some great people on this forum. Thats what i will miss You guys stay safe enjoy whats' left of the season.I will wait for your fish pics!!

Offline richinpa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2024, 10:05 AM »
This thread had me looking at my join date. 15 years went by way too fast!

Offline dohall21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2024, 11:48 AM »
Started in 1981 am 66 years old still going not as spry as past years lol but it’s still my favorite type of fishing

Offline Preacher_man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Have a Real CRAPPIE Day!!!!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2024, 02:22 PM »
  I'll be 73 in March. Not giving up yet. Hoping to get out tomorrow. Let you know how I make out. :)
TEAM  PA.

Offline Charman03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 21, 2024, 05:01 PM »
I joined shanty in 2003 probably using dial up internet connection

Offline beerduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • beer and fish nut
« Reply #18 on: Jan 21, 2024, 05:38 PM »
been on here  long time   just wish i typed better or would have more post   

Offline deadcold

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 21, 2024, 05:52 PM »
Wow,  I was feeling old at 62 until I read this thread.  Now I feel spry and agile again. Some of you guys still going into your 70s makes me feel great.  I've been posting in here for 16 years.  Hopefully,  I'll still be here 16 years from now.

Offline Creektroll3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 21, 2024, 06:57 PM »
I've been on here for 17 yrs. Went ice fishing for the 1st time in 1979 been hooked since. I'm 52 now, just wish we'd get ice like a normal season !!!

2009 Iceshanty Tourney Leader for Crappie

Offline after-4

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 21, 2024, 08:18 PM »
75 next Sunday just came back from Prompton and no heart attack what a drag no evening bite

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #22 on: Jan 21, 2024, 09:13 PM »
still here but not there though  not the lake that is.
 no lol.joined 2003  ;D but been ice fishing since 1975. praying i get to go this year GOD willing.
GOD BLESS you all
mo

LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline deam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 22, 2024, 08:27 AM »
I'm 70 been doing it since 1975 miss them days hatchet,spoon augers,charcoal bucket, woolritch outerwear and micky mouse  boots. Been on Ice Shanty since 2005 started with dial up network, could drink a cup of coffee waiting on a picture to download. Here in the SE last good ice season was 2015 think I'll just head to FL to get some pullage!! Anybody going now in the SE be careful, don't let this recent cold snap fool you I believe the water column hasn't churned all the way yet.
YO!!! Give a local fellow a chance!!!

Offline PaCarpboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 22, 2024, 08:41 AM »
Hey After4, happy birthday next Sunday.   Same date for me, just 9 years younger.  Glad you are still dragging them out onto the ice.   Keeps us young. 

Offline Kov619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 22, 2024, 09:28 AM »
I’m 72 been fishing hard water  when I was in my teens….I have seen many changes from getting on the ice in late November  to being lucky to get on in January. Fishing feet of ice to be lucky to have  4  ins …I do not fish skinny ice even with a  float site. Be safe and don’t take charges. There. Is no fish worth your life…be safe tip ups  rod tips down…
Bad ice is bad for your health....walk with care....

Offline shaved ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 22, 2024, 10:39 AM »
been here since 2004  pushing mid 70's but still enjoy the hard water can still remember drilling through 20 inches on  erie , boy they don't make ice like that anymore, things are forever changing and we are growing older each day, hope everyone gets in a half decent season this year,  FLAGS UP !!!

Offline PaCarpboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 22, 2024, 10:47 AM »
You know that old trees just grow stronger
And old rivers grow wilder every day
Old people just grow lonesome
Waiting for someone to say, "Hello in there, hello"
(John Prine)
Can't say we are lonesome old timers thanks to good friends on the ice.  Keep going as long as we can and never take it to seriously.  Just enjoy every minute. 

Offline Trout Sen-Sei

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trout fanatic
« Reply #28 on: Jan 22, 2024, 11:54 AM »
have been on for a while. not ice fishing due to medical condition. good luck everyone.

Offline slider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 22, 2024, 12:15 PM »
been on here since 2003. First ice fishing trip was on Canonsburg dam with a few buddy's used dads hatchet chopped 2 holes. we had old Zebco reels and a "few beers "to stay warm.
guess we were out about 90 min. and all we heard was a loud cracking and felt the ice shaking . we ran like hell to shore .left my dads hatchet amid the beer never went back for either of them.
later that year dad asked if i saw the hatchet i said not recently.
your all right this is not the same  anymore I.S has gone south. I met tons of new friends on I.S.  found lakes the i had no idea where they were. lost track of most of the OLD TIMERS from here
in 71 now had open heart 2 yrs ago   I  find it hard to convince myself that is about time i hang up the auger
to all my friends thank you for the times we spent on the ice, didn't matter if we caught any thing or not  we had a blast .

to all of you good luck stay safe on the ice
 :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

i the

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.