Author Topic: First impression on new Clam "Ice Team" rods.  (Read 1182 times)

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
First impression on new Clam "Ice Team" rods.
« on: Feb 12, 2014, 09:33 PM »
I'd been wanting to add ML rod to my arsenal for a while now for perch and some of my smaller walleye jigs and just couldn't find anything I liked locally so finally decided I better order something.  Found the St. Croix Premiere, Fenwick ELITE-Tech, and Clam Ice Team rods on the Cabelas site all on sale for like $22.50 each.  I'm a Wisconsin guy, and St. Croix is the rod that needs no introduction, but after reading WAY too many bad reviews that one was out.  The Fenwick I really liked but they only had it in 26" and I really wanted a 28" so I went with the Clam.

Out of the box I was really impressed.  It's a great looking rod, light weight, guides are laser straight, really thin flat black blank with a lot of backbone, and the classic plain cork handle with rings.   I did notice right away though that the guides seemed a bit on the small side.  It was also a bit stiffer than I was expecting it to be.  I laid it and my 28" M Bro next to each other with the same lure and they loaded up almost the same, that said the Clam has a bit more bounce in the tip, and a much faster taper.

Got it on the ice tonight for a couple hours, it was a slow night so I didn't get to give it too thorough of a workout but I did manage one short Eye on it.  The guides are indeed a bit small, I had a to pull my swivel through the last couple guides by hand or really pop the rod tip to get them to go.  It's good and sensitive, the one fish I did manage came right after the drop when my spoon had fluttered outside the ducer cone so he took me by surprise but I felt him just fine, and the fast taper drove the hook home quick. 

All in all it's a good rod for the price, but I wouldn't go with it if I fished primarily outside in the elements as I think the tip would be iced up constantly.  It's a bit stiffer than I expected a ML to be, it's very close overall to the Bro M just different taper and bit softer tip, but maybe that's my bad and I should have gone with the L.   

Would I buy another one?  Probably/maybe.  I will say this though, if they put bigger guides on them I would for sure add a couple more to the collection.

I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline Swampstud

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish on!
Re: First impression on new Clam "Ice Team" rods.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21, 2014, 01:14 AM »
Is this the split handle rod?  I bought a dave genz clam rod n while i like it, the guides are too small and not quite spaced right. I got mine for walleyes. Jiggin darters, spoons or raps. Each bait no matter the weight each crank of the reel makes the lure hop up instead of a real smooth climb. Personnally i dont see how clam didnt notice this, as this will be my last clam ice rod. Now ill just suck it up an have new guides put on, cost out of my pocket.
Keep those hooks sharp, or watch em swim away!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.