Author Topic: Smitty sled question  (Read 686 times)

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Smitty sled question
« on: Feb 23, 2021, 06:38 PM »
My question for the guys who use eye bolts to attach your rope to the skis is do you put the eyes on the top or the bottom of the skis?  The reason I got thinking about this is I was thinking if the eye bolts are down the rope tends to lift the ski tips more than it would if the eyes were on the top of the ski tips.  Maybe I'm over thinking this but I figured I'd ask and see if anyone noticed this, tired both ways to see which is better, or if there's no difference. 

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Smitty sled question
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2021, 06:46 PM »
Bottom ...you want to be lifting the ski up.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline mugsy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2021, 06:48 PM »
yup...bottom

Offline Fishingjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2021, 07:41 PM »
My question for the guys who use eye bolts to attach your rope to the skis is do you put the eyes on the top or the bottom of the skis?  The reason I got thinking about this is I was thinking if the eye bolts are down the rope tends to lift the ski tips more than it would if the eyes were on the top of the ski tips.  Maybe I'm over thinking this but I figured I'd ask and see if anyone noticed this, tired both ways to see which is better, or if there's no difference.

Hey Chris, I use carabiners. I drilled holes in the tips of the skis then put the carabiner through the hole. I then tie the tow rope to the carabiner, I don't have a problem pulling the sled at all.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2021, 05:15 AM »
I just drilled a 3/8" hole and stuffed the 3/8" rope through from the bottom and tied a knot.

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2021, 08:26 AM »
I just drilled a 3/8" hole and stuffed the 3/8" rope through from the bottom and tied a knot.

Same here plus I added a large fender washer between knot and ski.

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2021, 08:57 AM »
I have my eyebolts facing down.  Attach the rope via carabiner to the eyebolt.  When pulling the sled, this provides a lift to the skis and helps it pull. 

I use the carabiners to allow me to remove the rope when storing, and to use as a way to throw the rope if there is an emergency. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.