Author Topic: Eskimo Sierra Shelter  (Read 10296 times)

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Chasing anything that swims in the Midwest
Eskimo Sierra Shelter
« on: Oct 11, 2017, 09:36 AM »
Has anyone been able to check out the new flip over shacks from Eskimo this year? I worked the Thorne Bros Annual Portable Mods event in September and was able to check out the new Sierra Thermal. I have to say that I really liked what I saw and felt. 75% of the times that I use my 2 man flipover I am pulling it out and around on the ice by hand because of this I don't want a shack that's more than 85lbs or so as I like to stay mobile if I can. My old shack weighed 72lbs and fit this niche perfect but I wanted an upgrade to the seats and Thermal fabric.

The Sierra is offered in a non-thermal and thermal option. The non-thermal option weighs in at 74lbs and the Thermal option weighs 82lbs. The seats are very sturdy, have high backs, are made of breathable mesh and swivel. Another feature that I really like is being able to remove 1 of the seats (and added weight) if I choose to. I also liked the feel of the Square poles/tubes. I think my decision to upgrade and sell my old flipover is made up.

http://www.geteskimo.com/sierra-thermal-sled-shelter

Offline JaminWI

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Eskimo Sierra Shelter
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2017, 10:09 AM »
Seems like a nice flip over balancing size and weight.

I keep getting tempted to buy one from SG with the double discount option, but, something of this size and price and lack of returnability, I really prefer to see it first.  One of the many things I plan to check out at the St. Paul Ice Show in December. 

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2017, 11:16 AM »
I keep getting tempted to buy one from SG with the double discount option, but, something of this size and price and lack of returnability, I really prefer to see it first.  One of the many things I plan to check out at the St. Paul Ice Show in December.

I definitely agree. That's a purchase that warrants seeing and messing around with it in person before making a decision!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2017, 01:18 PM »
I haven't checked one of them out in person but from what I saw on the website I like it.  I was also looking at the Grizzly and like it also but I don't think it's worth double the money. 

Offline JaminWI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 11, 2017, 01:31 PM »
...I was also looking at the Grizzly and like it also but I don't think it's worth double the money.

My thoughts exactly. Plus the weight penalty. 

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 12, 2017, 09:38 AM »
That does look nice and at a great weight... I mostly walk also.  What were your thoughts on the tub, durable and deep enough? I'm guessing that's one of the big spots they cut weight. Wonder how it compares to the clam nanook, I've fished in one and it did the job, not a favorite though.

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 12, 2017, 10:35 AM »
That does look nice and at a great weight... I mostly walk also.  What were your thoughts on the tub, durable and deep enough? I'm guessing that's one of the big spots they cut weight. Wonder how it compares to the clam nanook, I've fished in one and it did the job, not a favorite though.

The tub seemed shallower then my current Frabill Trekker II but I am okay with that. The bigger/deeper the tub the more stuff I seem to cram into it making it heavier and defeating the purpose of trying to stay light and mobile. If I pull the trigger I will be buying the Hyfax Runner kit and installing it while assembling to protect the investment.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Oct 12, 2017, 11:52 AM »

•Item Number: 702551
•Capacity: 2 people
•Set-up Size: 60" x 84"
•Opened height: 67"
•Collapsed Size: 19.5" x 31.5" x 60' l
•Sled Size: 7" x 31.5" x 60"
•Fishable area: 22.5' sq.-ft.
•Weight: 74 lbs.

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 2017, 11:14 PM »

Offline KinnickResident

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 16, 2017, 09:59 AM »
I sat in one at the Ice Institute in Sioux Falls and I don't like the seats. They felt flimsy and definitely aren't as comfortable as Clam seats in my opinion.

It was enough that I wouldn't buy one based on that.

Offline rags

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 16, 2017, 08:59 PM »
I looked at the Sierra and grizzly at the Sioux Falls show and liked them both , I ended up buying the Grizzly and the show price wasn't bad

Offline MinnesotaPike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2017, 06:43 PM »
Anyone used one of these yet with any thoughts on them?

Offline Big Red Shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2017, 08:06 PM »
I was wondering the same thing. Anybody gotten a chance to check one out? You can get one for $321 on Sportsmans guide with the free trial membership and double discount.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 04, 2017, 07:23 AM »
I've been doing a lot of research on a flip over since I am getting tired of the work in setting up my hub shanty. I need to see a Grizzly in person, hopefully will this week. I like the windows in the Grizzly and the tub. Mine will likely live in a trailer, so weight isn't an issue.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline HammyDavisJr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2017, 09:32 AM »
A buddy and I picked one up last month, and are just waiting for safe ice to try it out.  We assembled it pretty easily, and it seems sturdy enough for our use.  I do need to get a runner kit, as the sled is not the most robust one I've seen.  I'll post more info after we are actually able to use it.

Offline Bfishn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2018, 07:44 PM »
Just got one last weekend. Never on the ice. Button latch on pole is broken. Checked on Eskimo parts and they are out of stock.. anyone have one with same problem?

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2018, 07:52 PM »
Checked it out in a local store and I felt like it was very poorly made using cheap materials. I realize it is lower priced, but in this case...just yuck.

The grizzly feels a lot better but is priced almost as high as otter or jm clam in that size.

Pass

Offline Bfishn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2018, 12:54 PM »
I returned mine to the store. I tried the Eskimo service ha ha 20-60 minutes waiting on hold.  So disappointed.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.