The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: New auger and some scouting  (Read 1361 times)

Offline Nmcbean413

• IceShanty Rookie
  • It ain’t over till it’s over
New auger and some scouting
« on: Jan 19, 2023, 02:25 PM »
So this morning at about 0800 I met with a gentleman selling his mako m43 because he just upgraded to electric. I just love the smell of 2 stroke in the morning. Started first pull engine was sound I tested her on on the second lake of Cheshire and I drilled through 6 inches of clear ice in not even 10 seconds I was ecstatic.

I then drove over to check the ice near Narragansett park in Pittsfield where I found 4 inches of ice down to skim further out.

On my way home the messy weather started but I stopped at my back yard (fish pond) to check the ice there to find 5 or 6 inches of clear black ice I set a couple tip ups in for an hour during that time trying to jig up some perch with no luck. While picking up I had 1 flag which took my shiner about 50 feet and spit her out.

All in all great day… no more killing my shoulder with the hand auger anymore!
FLAGGGG!!!

Offline V Menzone

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: New auger and some scouting
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2023, 02:31 PM »
I was working south of you in lee this morning lots of open water or unsafe ice.

Offline Nmcbean413

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2023, 02:39 PM »
I was working south of you in lee this morning lots of open water or unsafe ice.

Yeah south county seems to be horrible as well as onota
FLAGGGG!!!

Infiniti

« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2023, 05:21 PM »
Congrats on the new auger! I used a chisel my whole first season on the ice and then a hand auger for the next 2 years after that. I figured I was a strong young man and it was good for me, but I was wrong lol. Never hurt my shoulders but a couple times it destroyed my elbows drilling through thick ice. After one particularly rough day where it took me over an hour to get 5 tip ups in (about 2 feet of ice) I said enough was enough! The power auger really increases your ability to move around and drill a lot of holes which should help you catch more fish. Hopefully you get many years out of it and hopefully we get some freakin ice so you can put it to work this season.

Offline Nmcbean413

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2023, 05:40 PM »
Congrats on the new auger! I used a chisel my whole first season on the ice and then a hand auger for the next 2 years after that. I figured I was a strong young man and it was good for me, but I was wrong lol. Never hurt my shoulders but a couple times it destroyed my elbows drilling through thick ice. After one particularly rough day where it took me over an hour to get 5 tip ups in (about 2 feet of ice) I said enough was enough! The power auger really increases your ability to move around and drill a lot of holes which should help you catch more fish. Hopefully you get many years out of it and hopefully we get some freakin ice so you can put it to work this season.

Yeah I’ve been using a hand auger for 4 years and the biggest reason for the switch was being able to hop around if bites slow in initial setup area. Allows me to definitely get on the hunt more.
FLAGGGG!!!

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2023, 05:05 PM »
I've been using my super ultra light chisel. No need for the heavy propane auger right now. I built it for popping open old holes but found out it cuts full holes extremely well up to 8" thick.
It weighs in at 2 lbs ! Made with a wood chisel head and ultra light but very durable pipe. (Not cast iron). Definitely going electric soon for an auger.

Offline Nmcbean413

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2023, 07:11 PM »
I've been using my super ultra light chisel. No need for the heavy propane auger right now. I built it for popping open old holes but found out it cuts full holes extremely well up to 8" thick.
It weighs in at 2 lbs ! Made with a wood chisel head and ultra light but very durable pipe. (Not cast iron). Definitely going electric soon for an auger.

I usually chip and chisel or hand auger my own holes but I have had 2 shoulder injury’s and loads of broken wrists so anything that cuts down in making my joints hurt worse then they already do is for me. And I’ve seen to many dead battery’s due to cold or other malfunctions with those electric augers for me to want to rely on one I don’t mind pulling the weight in my sled.
FLAGGGG!!!

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2023, 04:58 PM »
I usually chip and chisel or hand auger my own holes but I have had 2 shoulder injury’s and loads of broken wrists so anything that cuts down in making my joints hurt worse then they already do is for me. And I’ve seen to many dead battery’s due to cold or other malfunctions with those electric augers for me to want to rely on one I don’t mind pulling the weight in my sled.

I have a 9" propane jiffy for sale , if you want extra weight to pull 😁

Offline Nmcbean413

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2023, 09:30 AM »

I have a 9" propane jiffy for sale , if you want extra weight to pull 😁

You won’t catch me dead with another jiffy those things are easily 15-20 more pounds then any other gas model 😂
FLAGGGG!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.