Author Topic: Greenbrier  (Read 1452 times)

Offline acornice

• IceShanty Rookie
Greenbrier
« on: Jan 18, 2016, 10:24 AM »
anyone know if Greebrier is starting to freeze up yet?  I am hopeful that the cold temps this week will do the trick.

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yelling at the fish on my screen
Re: Greenbrier
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2016, 07:16 AM »
As of last week it had 2 ft of ice one the edges.  I would bet it locked up yesterday

Offline acornice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2016, 10:11 AM »
Swung by this morning to take a look.  I would say ice covers about 95% of the lake with the only open water by the spillway.  The vast majority of the coverage looks like beautiful black ice.
I walked to the edge of the lake to check it out but didn’t have any gear to poke the ice or drill a couple of holes.

Offline flyfishbowhunticefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2016, 12:34 PM »
Thanks for the update!   This weekend will b safe for sure then
Y'all catchin?

Offline acornice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2016, 12:45 PM »
I am hoping it will be good by Friday morning.  I plan to swing by again tomorrow morning and maybe drill a few holes.

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yelling at the fish on my screen
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2016, 01:08 PM »
If we get this snow they are potentially call for it may put a damper on the ice.

Offline acornice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2016, 01:37 PM »
That is why I am hoping the ice is good on Friday morning.  I hope to get out for a few hours before it starts dumping snow.

Offline acornice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2016, 11:08 AM »
Swung by this morning but didn't have much time to check things out.  From the parking lot it looked like the whole lake is now frozen.  Wish I could have drilled some holes but I just didn't have the time.
I'll probably swing by again tomorrow.  I wouldn't be surprised to see some guys fishing.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2016, 07:35 AM »
Heading out to see if there's good ice....a buddy would b great if anyone wants to join...b up there around 11
Y'all catchin?

Offline Mac58

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2016, 08:35 AM »
Thanks for  the updates guys, much appreciated. 

Offline West by Virginia

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2016, 11:09 AM »
My fellow Greenbriar fishermen -

I was there yesterday afternoon.  I just now posted a picture in the Reports & Conditions under Greenbrier.
There were still very big open areas in the middle of the lake.  I tried to walk out a little bit to drill a hole, and the ice broke. 
I walked around the lake, and it all looks about the same - a few areas supported me, but most were cracking.
I don't know how long it will take to grow with these nice cold nights, but be careful out there today!

I might visit again tomorrow morning before the snow.  But I doubt I will get to fish. 
I live about 45 min from the lake, and MD needs my $5 park fee...

WbyV

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2016, 01:55 PM »
Just got off the nice...its not thick enough to get out to the deeper water....had a few marks in 10 ft...but that's as deep as I can get...the farthest punch with my chisel gave way like paper and started cracking under me...so I backed up n fished where I could....ranger said they may close it until later...b safe if u go guys, there's still a good bit of open water and the ice thTs there is pretty uneven....I fished on 3 inches today....had a pretty solid mark chase a chubby darters though...but its not worth getting wet....
Y'all catchin?

Offline acornice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2016, 03:50 PM »
Thanks for the update guys.  I think I may still check it out tomorrow morning knowing that I may just turn around and go home.
I really don't like to be on the ice unless it is at least 4 inches thick.  I think the sun yesterday and today did not do us any favors.
Darn....I really wanted to get on the ice before the storm.  Thanks again.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.