Author Topic: Jigging Rapala's tails falling off  (Read 6900 times)

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Jigging Rapala's tails falling off
« on: Jan 12, 2013, 09:10 PM »
I have had them come off here and there over the years but this past week I  had 7 come off! A couple of them did not actually come off but they were spinning on the hook shaft. It was predominately the glow and the chartreuse in #3 and #5.  Anyone else have this issue?  :%$#!:

Here is an Astronomy lesson - The world revolves around the sun, not you!

Offline nissannutzsx

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Jigging Rapala's tails falling off
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2013, 11:07 PM »
I had a couple do that, too. For as much as they cost, they shouldn't fall apart that easy.
Jeff Lucas

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2013, 12:47 PM »
If I had seven come off on me in a week I would be either taking them back or talking to customer service,there not cheap,maybe they had a bad batch and will send you some new ones i hope

Offline Edm87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2013, 12:50 PM »
I'm definitely not too happy with the strength of the hooks and the tails do fall off.  I will continue to fish with em cause they definitely catch fish.

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2013, 02:42 PM »
Stay safe  ....    Tom

Offline sorenson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing - it's not just for breakfast anymore.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2013, 06:11 PM »
Yep, I've got a ziploc bag full of 'em in the basement w/o tails.  I keep hoping to find a source for replacements but so far Rapala hasn't even allowed me to purchase them.  I even contacted HT (they make a reasonable knock-off) and they don't have any tails available either, but at least they did say to contact them again in a month to see if it was a possibility in the future...
s.

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2013, 06:55 PM »
Yep, I've got a ziploc bag full of 'em in the basement w/o tails.  I keep hoping to find a source for replacements but so far Rapala hasn't even allowed me to purchase them.  I even contacted HT (they make a reasonable knock-off) and they don't have any tails available either, but at least they did say to contact them again in a month to see if it was a possibility in the future...
s.

Well, that's BS! I took some of my rod building epoxy and epoxied a batch of them yesterday, today on the water I did not lose any. So, from now on before I take new ones out I am going to give them a dose of epoxy, for the price I shouldn't have to but they are junk without them. They work great for walleye and I am going to keep using them even if I have to fix them. I've tried the knockoffs but cant catch the numbers on them.

Offline tt350z

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2013, 09:12 PM »
My very first fish on a snap rap broke one of the tails off. It was like a 21'' pike.

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2013, 03:44 PM »
Gillfisher,

What brand of epoxy do you use?  Do you run a bead between the tail and body?
Stay safe  ....    Tom

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2013, 05:27 PM »
Gillfisher,

What brand of epoxy do you use?  Do you run a bead between the tail and body?

Flex Coat low build formula, I cleaned the tail piece and the body where it attaches with denatured alcohol, I hung them off a rod blank by the treble hook and then brushed a dab of epoxy down in the two side joints and the bottom where the hook wire hit the tail. I did my whole box of jigging raps now in hopes that I don't have any more problems.

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2013, 05:49 PM »
Do you think 5 minute epoxy would work?
Stay safe  ....    Tom

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2013, 06:00 PM »
5 min should work great.
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2013, 06:50 PM »
Yeah I think it would work but don't try to do too many at once, make small batches and give it a go.

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2013, 07:02 PM »
Great  ....  I'll beef up two "Snap Raps" for lake trout and two "Jigging Raps" for walleye.
Stay safe  ....    Tom

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2013, 07:11 PM »
Four glued up.  Let see what happens.
Stay safe  ....    Tom

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2013, 09:59 AM »
Let us know.
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2013, 11:48 AM »
Get a strip of clear plastic corner protector from your local hardware store.  You can make replacement fins fairly easily from one.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2013, 12:22 PM »
I haven't lost any yet. I make my own lures and attach tails I also make. One thing I will tell you is Epoxie is one of the worst things to use on polycarbonate. The way I go is using my clear coat which is a mix of Cellulose Propionate mixed with acetone. This is the same material as what the tail is made from so using it as a glue well it melts both pieces together and makes one solid piece. Even if it does break off (which never happened yet) I got hundreds of these tails made.  Here is a picture of the lures and tails.

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2013, 07:52 PM »
Cold Feet - do you make your own molds for them? They look great by the way!!!

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 18, 2013, 08:07 PM »
GillFisher  First thanks . Yeah I made the mold but these are not all lead. They are light weight with a Lead  center section and wood sides epoxied to the lead center. Then shaped with Dremmel and sanding drum. Some are covered with foil and painted some just painted depending on species or design I am duplicating. Such as the Perch in the picture is covered with Silver foil, I use a coarse sand paper and emboss the side for texture then paint with some transparent paints some of which is mixed to archive the  colors I want. One mix is like 4 drops yellow and 1 drop orange makes enough gold to paint like 5 lures with the airbrush. You can see the gold effect on that Perch belly area. looks sort of yellowish. I use a lot of transparent paints they give you so much more to work with blending and shading.

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 18, 2013, 08:15 PM »
Cold Feet - that is cool, someday when i have more time on my hands I would like to poke around making lures (or trying at least)

Offline sorenson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing - it's not just for breakfast anymore.
« Reply #21 on: Jan 19, 2013, 12:54 PM »
Wow Cold_feet; those look way better than the commercial ones!  You people w/ talent just kill me...
Where can you find the polycarbonate raw material?
S.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 19, 2013, 02:07 PM »
Well this is what I use These face shields are perfect for making the tails or bibs for summer lures. This material cuts easy with snips and heated with a hair dryer or being careful can be heated with a torch then bent to shape. With a little work using a dremmel or even a exacto knife you can shape these into the tails used on the jigging rap.  If you decide to try this method take half the shield and melt it into a glass jar using acetone to make a honey thick glue. Then you make the tail and glue it to the lure take and dip the whole lure into the jar and let it dry. This material I use to topcoat all my lures, glue on foil, and glue tails. It is the best stuff I found so far although many lure builders also use Devcon 2 ton epoxy. Just make sure the lenses are Propionate!!! This is  a must  Plexiglas and the likes of Plexiglas will not work as well.

http://www.coopersafety.com/product/sperian-prolok-replacement-propionate-faceshield-visors-1277.aspx

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 19, 2013, 02:15 PM »
Just a few more of these style Lures I build.  I've got boxes of these just waiting for the ice to show up again to put them to work. 

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 19, 2013, 06:49 PM »
CF that is awesome, now I have to find out what our face-shields at work are made of. I'll have a lifetime supply they way the guys go through them.

How do you make that blue/silver sparkly one?

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 19, 2013, 08:17 PM »
That's done with the holographic glitter Basically the "glue" is applied to the lure and sprinkle the glitter on. a couple dips in the sealer then airbrush paint and seal again. Add tail eye's and dip 3 to 4 more times. when it is done take razor knife and clean hooks, and eye areas. A quick blast of acetone though the airbrush to seal the edges where you clean everything with knife and it is good to go. They are sealed well and can take quite a beating in the tackle box. If they do get a little dull looking a couple dips in acetone refurbishes the finish to like new.

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 19, 2013, 08:26 PM »
Thanks for all the information on this, I can see some experimenting in the future once the fishing slows down.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 19, 2013, 08:34 PM »
Just a little different design again. Done the same way with foil base and a little holographic glitter added for just a little sparkle.  You can really see how using the transparent paints make things Pop as far as the glitter under the paint. You need to be careful of the glitter size if you go this route. The shine on these lures is the propionate finish. Much like plastic but in actuality it is made from Cotton fiber It is flexible but tough and does not crack like a plastic would with temperature changes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.