Author Topic: Northland Live Forage Minnow lures  (Read 5493 times)

Offline schaffman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Northland Live Forage Minnow lures
« on: Dec 21, 2010, 08:54 AM »
Anyone out there have any tips on using these or have found a particular one that seems to work well.     They look great.

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
Re: Northland Live Forage Minnow lures
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2010, 09:08 AM »
No tips as of yet. Fished one for the first time this past weekend. Only used it for maybe half an hour. I did manage one gill on it before switching. I ended up going to an old faithful.

I did notice that if it was left to sit after jigging it would have some spin on it. Of course I have noticed this with some other horizontal jigs. And as with the others, if it is being lightly jigged there was no spin, but as soon as jigging was stopped there was some spin. Of course this was after some heavy jigging. I know I didn't have any twist in my line when I tied the jig on as I get all the twist out before I even start to fish for the year.

I like the looks of them but just haven't been out enough and fished with them enough as of yet to have any reall insight as to how effective they are or may be.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2010, 09:12 AM »
I picked up a few, they have not yet seen time on the ice, but they will for sure. I like the looks of them, cant wait to give them a shot

Offline bullheadlodge

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2010, 09:55 AM »
Forage Minnows are one of my favorite lures for perch. I usually hook a whole minnow on, right through the middle, and let it swim around. Caught quite a few walleyes using them too.

Offline CT-iceguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2010, 10:58 AM »
i bought a couple, they work pretty well. I landed a bunch of calicos and a few gills on them the other day. I can't wait to try them on some bass.
-Christian Genarelli

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2010, 03:34 PM »
Caught some nice 'eyes and gills this weekend on the smallest perch fishfry tipped with waxies. Walleyes just hammered it. I actually switched some of the hooks to the mouth end of the spoon, caught fish either way. You cant buy the Moxie style as small as the fish fry, plus the Moxies dont have the real image on both sides??? The fish trap worked well also, but I did not fish as much with it, I had to add split rings to the fish trap as they didn't "dance" enough without them. I LUV TO SPOON 2!

Spoonie

Offline berg285

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2010, 10:24 PM »
i have been steadly picking up a few of these new lures in the moxie minnow and fish fry minnow spoon.. I have been having good luck with the new fish fry minnow trap for walleye i really like the way they fluter on the way down i kinda wish they made them a little bigger

Offline BIGPAPA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2010, 08:55 AM »
We use these a lot around here for panfish. Killer on crappie, but will twist your line. Use a small swivel to correct this problem, I use the smallest Spro brand swivel I can find, about a foot above lure. Hope this helps.

Offline ratsotail

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spring bobbers and ratsotails!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2010, 04:05 PM »
The forage minnow spoons are one the most versatile little spoons on the market. I love the smallest size and the super sharp treble hooks. I've caught everything from Pike to Bass to Catfish to Walleye and the entire range of pannies on them. They are by far my favorite lure for gills, crappie and perch when they are in moderate to aggressive moods. I use the Ice Blue rods since they are very sensitive and pick up hits better than spring bobbers. Pick a variety of colors and experiment in different levels of water visibility.

tight lines

ratsotail

Offline fishfeind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2010, 05:28 PM »
The forage minnows is awsome if been hooked for three seasons I usualy replace the treble with a #4 gold aberdeen hook works awsome on crappies perch and gills.  as for the spin i let her spin I have alot of fish hit on the spin I think its that now they see it now they don't that makes em whack it before it goes away again.
Getem caught

Offline kchamp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2010, 11:02 PM »
The forage minnows is awsome if been hooked for three seasons I usualy replace the treble with a #4 gold aberdeen hook works awsome on crappies perch and gills.  as for the spin i let her spin I have alot of fish hit on the spin I think its that now they see it now they don't that makes em whack it before it goes away again.
do you have to get hooks bigger opening on the top of the hook

Offline oldbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • usmc 1972-1976
« Reply #11 on: Dec 23, 2010, 05:02 AM »
I tried a forage minnow yesterday for the first time. I tipped it with spikes. The first time down I hooked what I thought was a big Bass.Turned out to be a 18" Walleye. Also caught some jumbo perch and big sunnies. Might be my go to lure.

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 23, 2010, 05:11 AM »
So are we talking Forage Minnows or the newest Live Forage Fish Fry Minnow Trap, Moxie Minnow, Fish Fry Minnow Jig, and Fish Fry Minnow Spoon? There is a difference and I think some are confusing the two. The four newest are the ones with the HD finish. The Forage Minnow has been around for some time and has been a proven lure. The newer ones just came out this year and I thought we were talking about them?
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline schaffman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 23, 2010, 06:57 AM »
I should have been clear in the original post.   I was asking about the new ones out this year

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 23, 2010, 07:06 AM »
 ;)
Thought the new ones were what you were asking about. I am hoping to try them again this weekend and see how I do. I'll have some new finishes thanks to Santa (fishingirlpa) since I only have the Redtail and Golden Shiner right now and will be fishing a different body of water.

I've thought about modifying them a bit by changing out the hooks to either some smaller trebles (on the smallest size) or maybe even adding a single hook using a split ring.

Funny thing I found was that to buy them from Northland that wanted $1 more then I paid for them at Cabela's. A friend called them to oder some and I had him ask them why they cost more. He was told it was because the retailers buy in bulk. Didn't make sense to me since Cabela's (in store) only had two color choices and sizes.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline schaffman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 23, 2010, 07:11 AM »
I have a couple of the new ones as well, the perch fish fry minnow trap and the moxie minnow.    I've got some time off next week so I'm hoping to get on the ice and really give them a work out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.