The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Guide service/resort  (Read 2268 times)

Offline Jig_Head

• Team IceShanty Addict
Guide service/resort
« on: Oct 18, 2022, 03:07 AM »
Hey guys, an Indiana guy here. I'm sure y'all get similar questions all the time but im looking to make an ice trip and could use some help. I got the fiancé out on the ice 3 times here last year and she actually enjoyed it. I think a 1 or 2 night trip somewhere would really get her into the sport. Was wondering if anyone could recommend any guides or good resorts to go out of. Any lake, any area, long as we can get on a good perch and walleye bite as both are terrible fishing in Indiana. Any help is appreciated
When hell freezes over ill ice fish there too!

Online cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Guide service/resort
« Reply #1 on: Oct 18, 2022, 07:34 AM »
Jig_Head if you are looking for a perch and walleye lake, then I would suggest you look around Leech Lake.  There are alot of good resorts along that lake and its large enough that you can have plenty of options.  You may want to look up this in Google and decide if this is what you are looking for.  There alot of guides up in that area and depending on your timing or schedule you can find something that fits your liking.  Perch may bite more towards the later part of the year, but its a big lake, so you can decide where to go and when to be there. 

I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #2 on: Oct 18, 2022, 09:27 AM »
I'd also suggest LOW...Lake of The Woods. Big walleye and perch lake; many guide services up there. With LOW or Leech you can't go wrong. Upper Red Lake is also a good one; all three are huge lakes. And there's also huge Mille Lacs to hit. All of those have many good guide services/sleepers/ pkgs available.
Just a couple places I can recommend:

https://lybacks.com/

https://www.cookiesonupperredlake.com/pictures-photos/

https://www.resortsandlodges.com/lodging/usa/minnesota/northwest-minnesota/zippel-bay-resort.html
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 18, 2022, 09:52 AM »
Are you looking to do an over night sleeper house on the lake- the resort/outfitter generally puts them in good spots, checks on you throughout the trip (if its a good owner).  Use it as your base camp during the day and hop around  the lake with your own gear if you want, or stay put.

Or do you want a full service guide trip during the day and then stay on land somewhere? Or back at a sleeper house.

Online cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 18, 2022, 11:06 AM »
I usually head to LOW two times during the season, and this is mainly targeting walleye.  We go through a resort and fish out of their fish houses.  Later you wait in the season, the more the fish are scattered, so plan accordingly for these times.  Resorts on the Rainy river at the mouth tend to fill up fast.  You can do day trips out of there, but you need to find lodging elsewhere. 

All the other suggestions are good lakes, so you can't go wrong with those lakes. 

You need to determine what fits your needs and then members can suggest options to look at.  If you are in any Facebook groups for MN Ice Fishing you will find a ton of info on local guides and houses. 

It all depends on how far you want to travel. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 18, 2022, 01:34 PM »
What kind of trip, how far you want to travel and time of year are the biggest things.

Us guys in the know up here can refer you to a lot of different options with that info.  Fyi I've seen a lot of the well known guides filling weekend's FAST already... that's not to discourage you at all, just saying the sooner you book the better the trip will be  :thumbsup:

Offline Jig_Head

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 27, 2022, 02:47 AM »
Thanks for all the quick replies guys. I need to figure out some dates and an exact lake

Offline Jig_Head

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 27, 2022, 02:49 AM »
Are you looking to do an over night sleeper house on the lake- the resort/outfitter generally puts them in good spots, checks on you throughout the trip (if its a good owner).  Use it as your base camp during the day and hop around  the lake with your own gear if you want, or stay put.

Or do you want a full service guide trip during the day and then stay on land somewhere? Or back at a sleeper house.
I was thinking staying in the sleeper but definitely open to either option

Offline Jig_Head

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 27, 2022, 03:43 AM »
I'm definitely an experienced open water fisherman. I've done several bass tournaments and got some monster catfish to my name but ill openly admit I'm not great at ice fishing. I've been doing it for years. I've got all my own equipment. Flasher, rods, shanty, heater, auger etc but I wouldn't know where to begin without a guide up there. So maybe a full service guide trip day 1 then a sleeper house on our own? As for distance, I looked and Leech Lake is 10 hours away and Red Lake 11. Long way to go but who knows, maybe I could do 3 days. I'm going on a blue catfish and crappie trip in 2 weeks so that's all that's been on my mind lately. I'll look at dates when I get back. Thanks again for the tips

Online cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 28, 2022, 08:11 AM »
I'm definitely an experienced open water fisherman. I've done several bass tournaments and got some monster catfish to my name but ill openly admit I'm not great at ice fishing. I've been doing it for years. I've got all my own equipment. Flasher, rods, shanty, heater, auger etc but I wouldn't know where to begin without a guide up there. So maybe a full service guide trip day 1 then a sleeper house on our own? As for distance, I looked and Leech Lake is 10 hours away and Red Lake 11. Long way to go but who knows, maybe I could do 3 days. I'm going on a blue catfish and crappie trip in 2 weeks so that's all that's been on my mind lately. I'll look at dates when I get back. Thanks again for the tips

If distance traveled is an issue, you may want to look into the eastern Wisconsin lakes - Winnebago comes to mind.  Seen plenty of YouTube videos from guys that fish that lake and they seem to do pretty good.  I have never fished it, but you could ask on the Wisconsin page site, they might be able to give you some information. 

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #10 on: Oct 28, 2022, 08:33 AM »
Well, if distance isn't TOO much of an issue, and it's Perch and Walleye you're after, I'd suggest Lake Gogebic at the western end of the U.P. in Michigan. Plenty of guide services available and it's a darn good fishery.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 28, 2022, 08:37 AM »
Well, if distance isn't TOO much of an issue, and it's Perch and Walleye you're after, I'd suggest Lake Gogebic at the western end of the U.P. in Michigan. Plenty of guide services available and it's a darn good fishery.
X2. Also check out Burt and Mullet in the Northern Lower Peninsula. Walleye and Perch are there and it isn't too bad a drive.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.