Author Topic: Safest way  (Read 739 times)

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
Safest way
« on: Jan 11, 2009, 05:10 PM »
Possibly heading to Matlock on Tuesday AM.  8)
Anyone have new info on which place is best to cross the ice ridge with a 4x4 truck? (Warner or Chalet Beach Road)
Won't have a convoy with me to rescue me should trouble arise  :D
Thanks  :)
Blue Igloo

Offline tibbs42

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • the 1st one on...and the last 1 off
Re: Safest way
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2009, 06:45 PM »
i drove by there like 3 weeks ago...i know stuff can change but i dont know how drastic it changed...all we did...was stayed the HELL away from the ice ridge...by atleast 100m-150m away id suggest stick along the shorelines until your well past the ridges and if you know the spot..then just ride the shorelines and then drive directly to your spot...i think drivin in the middle part of the lake new those ridges in a big vehicle is pretty much asking for it...anyways hopefully this was some helpful advice...
I'm El Capitan Of The Wally Destroyer

Offline spyder97

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2009, 08:25 PM »
today i went to the end of shalley beach road, turned right at the end  and it leads you to another launch  is a nice and packed down. i was able to drive fine on to the ice with my grand marquis .but their is a pressure crack that its 6 inchs wide do be carefull crossing.

Offline Max Power

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2009, 09:01 PM »
Was out Saturday with quads and sled. Really didn't need them as my 4x4 could have taken us out there with out a problem. lots trucks on the ice, Just follow the main trial going out and cross where the other trucks have crossed. Better yet  stop and check the ridges before you cross. There isn't that much snow on the ice compared to last year but there are few places where it has drifted up. Didn't see any large gaps at any of the ridges. We did mange a few keepers and caught and released a 30" . You should be fine if your truck has 4x4,good clearance and a decent set of winter tires but don;t forget to bring a shovel and tow strap just in case. Just follow chalet Beach road that leads you out onto the lake.Good luck

Offline fshmanmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2009, 09:09 PM »
Blue, maybe I can meet you there? Better with 2 vehicles. Was there on Fri....did so-so. Maybe try closer to mouth next time. Let me know.

Offline camoshack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2009, 08:35 AM »
We Walked out from the main approach to Chalet Beach RD last Sunday.  Then we noticed the trucks driving on from another approach to the South.  I wish we found the second approach earlier, it would have shortened the walk.

We fished from 12:30 to 3:00 but none were iced.  They were showing up on the flasher and I lost a heavy one due to a nott breaking.  It still was good getting out with my 4 year old for the first time this season.

Offline Ac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2009, 09:23 AM »
Heard stories from Sunday that driving on at both Chalet + Warner were no problem. As Max Power stated, go around the deeper drifts and the shovel will stay in the back of the truck.  ;D
Good luck Blue.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.