Author Topic: Your Favorite Hooks/Techniques On The Red River 4 Ice Fishing  (Read 1204 times)

Offline tibbs42

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • the 1st one on...and the last 1 off
see im a straight boater...ice fishing is fairly new to me and so is the red river...im usually out in lac du bonnet..whiteshell or lake of the woods... and i find fish at the red river bite like noooooo other.....soooooo  dammmmmmnnnnn   slllooooowwwwwww.... so i was wondering if people had certain colors they used or certain techniques to increase your hook set percentage, different approaches or a certain color that maybe triggers them into biting a little more aggressive.. anyways id like to hear some feedback
I'm El Capitan Of The Wally Destroyer

Offline Levista

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Your Favorite Hooks/Techniques On The Red River 4 Ice Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2009, 06:31 PM »
see im a straight boater...ice fishing is fairly new to me and so is the red river...im usually out in lac du bonnet..whiteshell or lake of the woods... and i find fish at the red river bite like noooooo other.....soooooo  dammmmmmnnnnn   slllooooowwwwwww.... so i was wondering if people had certain colors they used or certain techniques to increase your hook set percentage, different approaches or a certain color that maybe triggers them into biting a little more aggressive.. anyways id like to hear some feedback
                 pink 1\2 oz jig with live minnows. dont forget to invert the hook part of the jig.

Levista

Offline tibbs42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2009, 07:39 PM »
Ive Been Usin 1/4-38/yellows greens and pinks..and it starts to slow down...im gonna go back on the live minnow bandwagon...i heard lindy rigs were good to use...any idea if theyre good in the winter time???

Offline Levista

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2009, 10:09 PM »
Ive Been Usin 1/4-38/yellows greens and pinks..and it starts to slow down...im gonna go back on the live minnow bandwagon...i heard lindy rigs were good to use...any idea if theyre good in the winter time???

Lindy rigs are meant to be used while in motion. so like trolling behind a boat or reeling in. they wont do what they are supposed to while ice fishing. stick with the jig's for icefishing. salted minnows also work real well.

Offline tibbs42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2009, 10:43 PM »
yeah but what about sizing down your weights and puttin a live minnow on lettin it do all the work givin it the natural approach

Offline tibbs42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2009, 10:44 PM »
i guess the current dies down soo much in the winter time..it makes it a little difficult unless your closer to the locks

Offline k-von

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2009, 10:53 PM »
where do you buy live minnows near selkirk

Offline tibbs42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2009, 12:53 AM »
i dont buy my live bait in selkirk...i get it from the fishing hole in winnipeg

Offline tibbs42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2009, 12:55 AM »
ive just been gettin into bucktails...anyone else have luck with em??

Offline eyeguy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2009, 06:46 AM »
wouldn't really say it's sloooooow!  They are there , just have to find them , after 4 outings and catching small greens and saugers..... Lady luck shone her face on me today.... 3/8 - 1/2 oz , Variety of presentations but a very light bite.... They would come up ...tap , and when they felt resistance ....let go!  opened the bail....Tap, fed them a little line... and drive the hook home! 
Flashers play a key role in catching these Brutes.... my LX3 is the first thing that goes into the truck EVERY time....
Both broke the 29 inch mark but not quite the 30.......

Oh yeah, Fas Gas in Selkirk usually has Livies...... Salted work just fine!!!!

Offline Levista

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2009, 07:24 AM »
where do you buy live minnows near selkirk

red-fin in selkirk sells all the bait you could ever need including live minnows. located just off main street. you can see the sign from main street. small store built inside of a house.

Levista

Offline tibbs42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2009, 10:39 AM »
NICE WALLY!! see...the way i look at it...i havent caught mine yet this year....but i went all out in the fall time...that was a disapointment..i didnt land too much because of the late season or i was just fishing the wrong spots...never caught nothing but a cold...so i bought a new ice shack which is my 2nd now.. so i usually round up a crew 2-3 times a week.. so i figure...if i keep pullin through the hard times... eventually there has to be a light shed upon me...or dayuuummmmmmmmm...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.