Author Topic: Windy today on LK WPG  (Read 2550 times)

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
Windy today on LK WPG
« on: Jan 23, 2012, 08:34 PM »
Whoa....the temps were mild today.......but the windchill was something else.  >:(  Snowdrifts accumulating out there are getting higher and harder as my buddy's SUV got hung up on one at the start of the morning. Was advised to bring a shelter and a heat source for today's outing.........sure glad I did  :)
FF on the other hand proved his mettle once again by fishing hardcore.......mocking and challenging Mother Nature.....he's one tough dude  :flex: :flex: :flex:
Fishing was ok as no skunks today......got rid of "Scooby's Curse"..........passed on to me by Rudy  :P
Biggest of the day was released and the rest were all eater size along with 4 perch.
Getting off the lake was not bad except we accidently jumped a few small pressure ridges that weren't there in the morning.....damn wind  ::)
Blue Igloo  :tipup:

Offline jetsfan

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Windy today on LK WPG
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2012, 09:21 PM »
Hey Blue nice FISH buddy! We are heading out in the morning and just wondering if you fished east oe west on the lake?
Go Big or Go Home!

Offline Fish Camp 24-7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2012, 09:22 PM »
Nice fish blue, What was the length on that girl?
At what point do you think FF will get himself a portable?

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2012, 09:51 PM »
East side......not a MA......FF has a hardside (Ford)  ;D ;)

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2012, 10:15 PM »
Hi blue,
Nice looking green back walleye. :)

WW

Offline mikeypikey

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2012, 10:39 PM »
good job on landing that one! great pics, keep them coming..  what size holes do you drill 8" 10".  i find 8" hole i lose way more fish, lately been drilling two holes side by side. since doing that i land more fish
Where ever you go.. There you are!

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2012, 04:48 AM »
Nice one Blue, my Dad and myself were out yesterday as well, lots of fun setting up my big fatfish in that wind, especially with one broken hub, we ended the day with 17 fish, not to bad, slowest day I have had in the last 4 outings, nothing big yesterday a 24inch was the largest, its like the biggies left this area?  We did really well on jumbos the past 3 times.

Mikey, I don't like the 8inch holes, too small, I have a 9inch auger,  good size, but small enough that it won't eat a vexilar where a 10" can.
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2012, 07:57 AM »
good job on landing that one! great pics, keep them coming..  what size holes do you drill 8" 10".  i find 8" hole i lose way more fish, lately been drilling two holes side by side. since doing that i land more fish
10 inch......go big or go home  ;D ;)
A little senior advice on drilling 2 holes side by side.......many moons ago while on my very first trout trip to the backwoods lake of the Duck Mountains.......my buddy drilled 2x8 inch holes for me so I could land those BIG Browns. Well the first Brown I ever hooked grabs my tiny Rapala and I proceed to land him. Just as he gets to the "figure 8 hole" he turns sideways to show me his 16 inch length and flips over releasing the barbless treble hook.......gave me a nice cold shower and said......"see you later sucker"  ::) Once you get a fish coming up that water column in the hole it's usually a done deal  :)
Never got another trout on that trip.......but will always remember never to do that again  :P

Offline firefighter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2012, 12:36 PM »
East side......not a MA......FF has a hardside (Ford)  ;D ;)

Only "hardside" I see in the second photo has to be the guy with the thick skull hiding behind the wheel of that SUV... especially with two helpers ready and willing to help set up his pop-up ;D

FF
He who hesitates is lost...

Offline mikeypikey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2012, 01:02 PM »
10 inch......go big or go home  ;D ;)
A little senior advice on drilling 2 holes side by side.......many moons ago while on my very first trout trip to the backwoods lake of the Duck Mountains.......my buddy drilled 2x8 inch holes for me so I could land those BIG Browns. Well the first Brown I ever hooked grabs my tiny Rapala and I proceed to land him. Just as he gets to the "figure 8 hole" he turns sideways to show me his 16 inch length and flips over releasing the barbless treble hook.......gave me a nice cold shower and said......"see you later sucker"  ::) Once you get a fish coming up that water column in the hole it's usually a done deal  :)
Never got another trout on that trip.......but will always remember never to do that again  :P

i find if i trout fish i like the 8" holes cause once that trout is in the hole they cant go back down, i fished footprint with 10" hole and those trout had to much room to move around and the hook would pop out and they had the room to swim back down..

Offline firefighter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2012, 01:35 PM »
8 inch hole works fine for me. Just have to be careful when nosing a bigger fish into the hole and it might take a bit of doing with a hog walleye or crazy jumbo whitefish. I usually put a swivel 3-4 feet above the lure. When I see the swivel appear I know the fish is close. With this said, it sure is nice change to fish a 10 inch hole though! :)

FF 

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2012, 01:57 PM »
Nice report Ron!!  @) I haven't been out since jan2nd and 3rd I'm going crazy!! My uncle is coming out on my next monday, tuesday off and were planning on hitting big windy both days!  ;D I'm sure glad I had a 10" hole when I hooked the walleye in my avatar there's no way it was coming up an 8" it barely fit up the 10"!!

Offline mikeypikey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2012, 02:12 PM »
Nice report Ron!!  @) I haven't been out since jan2nd and 3rd I'm going crazy!! My uncle is coming out on my next monday, tuesday off and were planning on hitting big windy both days!  ;D I'm sure glad I had a 10" hole when I hooked the walleye in my avatar there's no way it was coming up an 8" it barely fit up the 10"!!
WOW  nice fish!!!  How big was that one??

Offline BigZ

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2012, 02:41 PM »
Hi all, first time user.  We are heading out to Balsam this weekend and was wondering how the ice is and what areas we should stay clear of ?  Going to try just south of the harbor and will try and find 12' or more if possible as I have heard that area was doing okay, any advice or tips on what they are going for would also be very much appreciated.  I will hopefully have some pictures and some Wally's in my belly when we are done. Will post during fishing if I can get a signal on the lake.

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2012, 03:57 PM »
My last fish of last season almost didn't fit through my 9" hole, took a little force to squeeze her through, very thick 30", I would be a little nervous using a 8"
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2012, 04:01 PM »
8 inch hole works fine for me. Just have to be careful when nosing a bigger fish into the hole and it might take a bit of doing with a hog walleye or crazy jumbo whitefish. I usually put a swivel 3-4 feet above the lure. When I see the swivel appear I know the fish is close. With this said, it sure is nice change to fish a 10 inch hole though! :)

FF
Yesterday, my friend, it looked like your 8 inch hole  was only 5 inches.  :o
 Add an inch of snow that was on your line  :P.......now that leaves 4 inches at the top of the hole.... ;D ;D ;D ;)
Just bugging ya bud.   ;)
From the icicles on your stache though.......I'd say you were a popsicle and you didn't give a hoot  ;D

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2012, 04:03 PM »
I hear you Shane......been there done that  ;D
Catching any tasty burbies your way this winter  ???

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2012, 04:11 PM »
Hi all, first time user.  We are heading out to Balsam this weekend and was wondering how the ice is and what areas we should stay clear of ?  Going to try just south of the harbor and will try and find 12' or more if possible as I have heard that area was doing okay, any advice or tips on what they are going for would also be very much appreciated.  I will hopefully have some pictures and some Wally's in my belly when we are done. Will post during fishing if I can get a signal on the lake.
Welcome BigZ  :)
Your plan is good but stay away from high drifts....they're getting harder to plough through. Easy enough to find smooth ice around there. If it's your first time out there in the winter just follow the main trail left by others. Lots of people out there on weekends so you'll have help if you get stuck. Don't get too close to any shanties.....the drifts around them are truck catchers  ;)
PS Bring a shovel for each passenger  ;D

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2012, 10:58 AM »
I hear you Shane......been there done that  ;D
Catching any tasty burbies your way this winter  ???

Haven't even been on lake manitoba this year Ron. My step dad and quite a few friends have tried from langruth to delta and the best reliable report I've had from them is 12 perch  :P i'm hoping things pick up out there it's been brutal for a few years now  :-\

Offline firefighter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 26, 2012, 11:42 AM »
Yesterday, my friend, it looked like your 8 inch hole  was only 5 inches.  :o
 Add an inch of snow that was on your line  :P.......now that leaves 4 inches at the top of the hole.... ;D ;D ;D ;)
Just bugging ya bud.   ;)
From the icicles on your stache though.......I'd say you were a popsicle and you didn't give a hoot  ;D

Thought something funny was going on there Blue :-\. Was hard to see with my eyelids frozen shut ;D

FF

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 26, 2012, 02:52 PM »
 :roflmao:
Blue Igloo

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com