Author Topic: Zipper lube and zipper replacement  (Read 6197 times)

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Zipper lube and zipper replacement
« on: Jan 18, 2012, 05:51 PM »
A couple of weeks ago I purchased a new fatfish 9416 and I am having major issues with frosting of the zippers especially on the lower half, we are thinking that the flaps covering the zippers on the exterior of the tent are causing this,  I'm sure i am not the only one having this issue, so my question is what is the best zipper lube, where can I get it? and if this does not work what is the best place to have the zipper replaced in Winnipeg, or Selkirk?  Thanks for any advice, I could take the tent back and get my money back but I love the size and all the windows.
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Offline tommy jr.

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Zipper lube and zipper replacement
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2012, 06:32 PM »
A couple of weeks ago I purchased a new fatfish 9416 and I am having major issues with frosting of the zippers especially on the lower half, we are thinking that the flaps covering the zippers on the exterior of the tent are causing this,  I'm sure i am not the only one having this issue, so my question is what is the best zipper lube, where can I get it? and if this does not work what is the best place to have the zipper replaced in Winnipeg, or Selkirk?  Thanks for any advice, I could take the tent back and get my money back but I love the size and all the windows.

Zipper replacement is pretty expensive no matter where you go. I would try silicone spray or graphite spray.

Offline JAMOKIN

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Pay No More
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2012, 06:35 PM »
I had same kind of zipper problem on my snowmobile sadle bag and used candle wax.
Worked it into zipper and it worked way better.
Used a small birthday candle-rubed it onto zipper teeth.

Offline biggamefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2012, 07:00 PM »
Don't use anything other than JIG-A-LOO, non staining, no oil in it, no grease in it......repels water like nothing, therefore no frosting up........
>}}}}}}''> FISH PANIC AT THE MERE SIGHT OF ME AND MY G3  >}}}}}}''>

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2012, 08:39 PM »
Don't use anything other than JIG-A-LOO, non staining, no oil in it, no grease in it......repels water like nothing, therefore no frosting up........
Thanks, but where can I get it?

Offline tommy jr.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2012, 09:18 PM »
Thanks, but where can I get it?

CANADIAN TIRE for $5.99
Most big box stores / hardware stores have it

Offline biggamefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2012, 09:25 PM »
CANADIAN TIRE for $5.99
Most big box stores / hardware stores have i

Yup!

Offline buckmrkguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2012, 06:48 AM »

X2

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2012, 11:10 AM »
Would you recommend Jig-a-loo for frozen door locks? Damn carwash ::)
Blue Igloo

Offline biggamefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2012, 05:56 PM »
Don't know if it will thaw them, but it would prevent them from freezing in the first place.

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2012, 07:25 AM »
Picked up some Jig-a-loo yesterday at Canadian tire, set up the fat fish, sprayed the zippers, messy, but I don't care, also the other day I had a rod pop out when I took the tent inside to dry out, noticed that one of the hubs is not sitting flush against the tent wall?  Something is causing it to torque, either the rods are not the proper length or the tent sewing is off, anyhow this is causing the rod to pop out, it happened again yesterday.  So I am hoping for a replacement or my money back, to many issues for a tent I paid 500$ I do love the size, but it doesn't help when you can't us the thing!

Offline HighlandGlen Guide

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2012, 11:01 AM »
When the rod is out make sure the little pin that holds it into the hub is centered. One of mine came out and just had to center it

Offline jeeper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2012, 08:50 PM »
If the pin has moved I found that it will not stay in place and the pole will continue to come out. Go to Eskimo's web site and contact them through customer service. They were great she sent me 3 new poles to replace the one bad one I had!!! Shipping on them and had them in less than a week. Can't beat that deal  ;D

Tight Lines
jeeper

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2012, 06:00 AM »
Are they still selling Eastman 4-man Cubes  ???
Blue Igloo  :tipup:

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2012, 11:56 AM »
Are they still selling Eastman 4-man Cubes  ???

Looks like Eastman was bought-out by Gorilla Gear which now offers the Ice Cube models ... check out the 'Find a Store' link on the website http://dev.gorillablinds.com/cms/content/ice-shanty-4-person .
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2012, 05:57 PM »
Thanks  :)

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2012, 04:57 AM »
Best Advice, holy crap, this stuff really works, yesterday was windy and cold, zippers stuck as usual just after set up sprayed the jig-a-loo on them and fixed, wow, thanks biggamefisher?  TAKE THIS ADVICE AND DON'T USE ANYTHING OTHER THAN THIS PRODUCT!  I also pinned the outside zipper flaps back to allow air flow, as I have never had ice build up like this on any other tents and none of my other 3 tents have this zipper flaps.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.