Author Topic: Winter fishing  (Read 588 times)

Offline eskimoman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Winter fishing
« on: Dec 31, 2009, 04:23 PM »
Ok ive always wondered where all the catfish carp drum ect fish go in the winter?? Are they still there or do they go anywhere else??

Offline firefighter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Winter fishing
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2009, 04:42 PM »
The "other species" likely winter in deeper water in lakes and rivers as the deeper water is usually most dense and therefore holds ample amounts of oxygen. I strongly believe that a lot of the fish marked by guys with electronics during the winter are those of species such as suckers,goldeye or cats that happen to slowly move by.

On L. Manitoba...a location that I often frequent I have the habit of checking out piles of non-marketable fish left on the ice by commecial fishers after lifting their nets. Very common to see drum, carp, suckers, etc...species not often caught by angling in the winter...but not nearly as many as one would expect to see if netting was done during the summer. Therefore my theory of these fish being very active and travelling around in warm water and almost "dormant" for the lack of a better words in cold water... holds some water.  :)

FF
He who hesitates is lost...

Offline Fish Camp 24-7

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Winter fishing
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2009, 05:58 PM »
I agree with firefighter on this one. Water temp is the major factor in my opinion. Here's an example, when i was a kid my dad would take me and my brother down to cooks creek in East Selkirk in mid winter. The steam plant would discharge warm enough water that would keep the creek wide open. We would use are summer gear and cast jigs all day hammering white bass. Also snaged a lot of cats on our retrieves also! Only thing i can think of is water temp, never caught a white bass through the ice or heard of anyone doing so. Any other ideas?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.