Author Topic: Who measures fish like that?  (Read 2211 times)

Offline lv2huntandfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Who measures fish like that?
« on: Feb 19, 2010, 08:53 PM »
Not trying to diss the tourney, I appreciate lonewolf doing this as I am sure it is quite a time commitment. Why would you measure a crappie or any fish on the top lip to the tail? this makes absolutely no sense to me. Why not just have the rules be all fish measure from longest distance rather than measuring from the top lip. Also much harder to get an accurate reading from the top because most fish have some sort of hump on their back requiring the measuring device to be farther from the fish. Am I crazy or does this make sense?

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Who measures fish like that?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2010, 08:55 PM »
makes perfect sense. whether the fish has its mouth closed or open, the top lip never moves. When the fish has its mouth open it could gain a full inch or more.

Lay the rule 3" below the fish and you should be good.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline lv2huntandfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2010, 09:02 PM »
why wouldnt you want to have all fish as long as they can be not as short as they can...idk never heard of fish being measure like that. 

Offline LoneWolf

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2010, 06:37 AM »
Not trying to diss the tourney, I appreciate lonewolf doing this as I am sure it is quite a time commitment. Why would you measure a crappie or any fish on the top lip to the tail? this makes absolutely no sense to me. Why not just have the rules be all fish measure from longest distance rather than measuring from the top lip. Also much harder to get an accurate reading from the top because most fish have some sort of hump on their back requiring the measuring device to be farther from the fish. Am I crazy or does this make sense?

Your crazy !! LOL

I do !

First it's in the rules, I wrote the rules and it's been in the rules for years :
7) a)The length is "as the fish lays" - not by squeezing the tail. The entry is measured from the furthest point to
     the rear (tail) and front (lip). No open jaw .. if open measured from shortest point at head.(usually upper lip)

After some complaints one season (many years ago) I did an experiment .. I believe it was on LM Bass, Perch and Crappie. I went out and caught a few and took some measurements. First measurement mouth closed and the second with the mouth open (extended). There was a huge difference and it wasn't fair to other entries in the tournament. A bass with mouth closed was 19" and the same bass with mouth open and extended was 20 1/8" ... two different measurements on the same bass.

So the answer is this is done to keep the playing field fair.  :callcops:

Doug >))))>
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2010, 10:55 AM »
you do it fair!  now just pick me in the weekly once! lol
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline KissMyBassNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • KissMyTroutNH ?
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2010, 08:35 PM »
why wouldnt you want to have all fish as long as they can be not as short as they can...idk never heard of fish being measure like that. 

ive never heard of the top lip measureing to but i like the point behind it for the tourney because like lonewolf said, some people might have the mouth open and some may not and its not as fair , also with the mouth closed and going by top lip people are less likely able to "stretch the fish out" as it is supposed to be just down laying flat no curling and what not .

Catch A Buzz

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.