Author Topic: Cant find the keepers!!!!  (Read 1696 times)

Offline icehouserlt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Cant find the keepers!!!!
« on: Jan 15, 2013, 04:05 PM »
Ive been catching alot of walleyes in one of my fishing wholes but i cant seem to catch a legal fish to take home! we r catching between 25 and 50 eyes a day from this spot on a slow day!! Could it be a nursery? Big ones bite better at nite? Ive tried dead sticking, tip ups, spoons, jigs........... Should i try a different section of river? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Cant find the keepers!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2013, 05:27 PM »
It's my experience that if you catching the small one the big ones are somewhere else. Try shallower with bigger baits and see if that helps.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2013, 06:02 PM »
agreed...try shoaler or deeper...bigger baits...
It's all about Karma.....

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2013, 10:26 PM »
Try something obnoxiously big...and give it a fair effort ;)
AW

Offline icehouserlt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2013, 03:01 PM »
Thanks for the tips! Going to try them tommorow morning

Offline CrappieNutJustin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2013, 11:06 PM »
all my huge walleyes always come at or just after dark and in shallow water, like 3-8 fow, alot of people around here give me funny looks when i say it but all my trophy winter walleyes come at that depth, and on a few different lakes as well so its not just that one particular lake, i also fish big, theres alot of small walleyes in the same spots, still catch quite a few of em even with the larger presentations but alot less than i would otherwise, my overall absolute best combo for 5-8 pound walleyes has been at or after dark in 3-4 fow with a large buckshot spoon and good sized fathead minnow, my guess is that the walleyes are doing the same thing they do at night in summer, chase the baitfish into the shallows, and especially with the ice being able to trap the bait becomes easier.

Offline line dropper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2013, 04:40 PM »
When you move to the shallow waters at dark. Do you fish close to the same areas as the day time?  Are the shallow areas that are fished during dark close to drop offs, or sunken islands or under water pennsyilla or slow rising bays?

Thanks for any help

Offline CrappieNutJustin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2013, 10:32 PM »
yep im always pretty close to the deep water yet, on the one lake, its just a gradual drop off and a stumpy shore line, other lakes its points or islands, and the the main lake its, in a bay, the bay is about 5 feet deep but drops off into the main basin of the lake which gets 30 feet, one night i decided to spread tip ups around and instead of my usual line from shore outward, i put them all parallel to the shore in the bay in about 3 fow about 300 yards from where it drops off into the lake, and only like 10-20 feet from shore, figured if they sucked id just move em back deep, turns out that was the night i started popping bigger walleyes out of that lake than normal even, i know in the summer and early winter that bay is loaded with panfish, not sure sure about mid winter as it slows down jigging, but for whatever reason, come dark the walleyes love that bay, and especially that area near shore in 3 fow, seems like my tip ups closest to shore are always the one that produce the biggest walleye on all the lakes i go to, which i still find weird cuz i have always focused on deeper water for walleyes.

Offline line dropper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2013, 05:26 PM »
How far do walleye travel.  Does every one have good luck in one area consistently?

Offline icehouserlt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2013, 06:27 PM »
What r some of the baits u guys r using at night? R ur tip ups rigged different for nite fishing?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.