Author Topic: Reflective Safety Tape  (Read 4936 times)

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Reflective Safety Tape
« on: Oct 25, 2003, 11:06 AM »
I would like to put some type of Safety Reflective Tape on my portable shanty for night fishing. Anyone know a good source? It would be for a Shappell (plastic tarp). Thanks :'(
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline Cooley

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re:Reflective Safety Tape
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2003, 11:47 AM »
I think you might want to find something other than tape.
I really dont think it would stay on very long,you might want to try sewing on  a reflective patch,if you know anyone that can sew.good luck...........
How many men does it take to open a beer,
None...it's open when she brings it! ! !

bohica

« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2003, 06:23 PM »
 fishinnut
 very good idea, just funny no one else has mentioned it. now you got me to thinking of some old times and a few close calls.
                                                     bohica

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Live life hard........ICE FISH
« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2003, 06:39 PM »
Here in Indiana Reflective tape is required on Shanties that are on the ice after dark. Another alternative to sewin is just posssibly using saftey pins to pin the material to the tarp. But if you choose to go ahead and stick the tape you might want to use a hair dryer to warm up the tarp and tape to get a awesome bond. It makes both materials adhere to one another great.

Offline Yellow Belly

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Don't horse 'em
« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2003, 07:28 PM »
I don't know where you are located but here in Ontario, most heavy truck parts stores or repair shops carry reflective tape in 12" strips. They are usually 2 or 3 inches wide and are used along the bottom of transport trailers, buses, etc.

I'm sure this type of tape would adhere to most anything because people usually don't even clean the trucks before they stick them on.

Try a local parts dealer.

Offline Turkeyhunter10ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2003, 09:59 PM »
I'm not too sure either about putting tape on cloth, you should be able to go to a truck stop or a farm & fleet type of store and buy some reflectors, preferrably mounted in plastic or something that has mounting holes already in it. It was real easy to stitch those things onto the canvas on mine.             Asphalt Kid--  here in Indiana the law requires reflectors on all 4 sides of a shed/sled whether it is daytime or night, found that out personally the first time out after buying mine and a DNR officer was out checking licenses.

mngonefishing

« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2003, 10:44 PM »
most of the larger sports stores have reflective tape. I placed it on the corners of my ice house. (it is normaly reinforced there)  ;)

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 26, 2003, 04:43 AM »
I don't know if this will be reflective enough,but fl.orange DUCT tape is avaible at wallmart.Use it on the back of my crawdad while transporting with my pickup and friends have told me it shows up well.

Good Luck - Good Fishing
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 26, 2003, 06:04 AM »
Just an additional note: reflective tape can be aquired through Beckmanfishing.com and applied on your tarp with craft hot glue
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 26, 2003, 06:55 AM »
Just a thought but joggers have a reflective strip of fabric on the side of their jogging pants. You should be able to get it at any bigger sewing store. Here in NY we have a JoAnns fabric that handles just about everything and would have this. Stiching it on would seem to me a lot better than trusting tape.
Cold Feet

Offline smeltshack

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You tell em im coming and my vex is coming with me
« Reply #10 on: Oct 26, 2003, 03:27 PM »
Sewing some on would be a safe bet but you could try out www.  galls.com they sell  fire and rescue equipment but they may have what you are looking for.
Good Luck

WannaBe

« Reply #11 on: Oct 27, 2003, 02:09 PM »
I bought parking lot reflective tape from our local hardware store.  Before you put it on, make sure that is whree you want it, doesnt come of too well.  I also put it over my flags on the tip ups.  When I;m in the shack I can shine a light by them and tell if there up or not.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #12 on: Oct 27, 2003, 03:51 PM »
I have experimented with the reflective tapes and came to one conclusion - go with the 3M brand. I have found this material at sewing type shops,  I think it was JoAnnes(?) - I'll check with my wife. I found the "sew on" type glued on with fabri-tac worked great. The reflective tape found at harrdware stores either peeled or cracked due to the temperatures and the fabrics flexability  >:(. I hope this gives you some ideas !
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 04, 2003, 06:34 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to use the Firetacks tape.
www.firetacks.com
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.