Author Topic: jigs for deadsticking  (Read 4360 times)

Offline serveprotect

• IceShanty Rookie
jigs for deadsticking
« on: Jan 24, 2014, 11:59 AM »
Just wondering what size and types of jigs guy use for deadsticking or jigging walleye.  I watched show a where they were deadsticking minnows on fireball jigs for walleye.  I just don't know what size to use and what size and type minnows to use.  I fish in 10-20 fow mainly.  The minnows we have available here are either fatheads or shiners.  I also would like to know what weight lures guys use specifically for perch and walleye.  There is a lot of info on types of lures, but not what weights or sizes to use.  If anyone can provide some specifics, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Offline robgeerts

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: jigs for deadsticking
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2014, 01:46 PM »
Size, weight, shape, color all depends on the situation.  If you are fishing a river with current, a fireball jig of the right weight will keep your bait in the zone you want to fish.  Murky water you may want something with a larger profile.  Its not much different from jigging, trial and error, on any given day any jig in the box may work.  Some days it hinges more on minnow size and activity, head hooked, tail hooked, dorsal ect.  The important thing is to pay attention so that when successful, you can repeat that success.

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yelling at the fish on my screen
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2014, 11:21 AM »
I like to dead stick with a frosty spoon.

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2014, 08:51 PM »
when I deadstick I like just a plain circle hook.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2014, 04:09 AM »
I usually keep the dead stick pretty simple. A plain hook.

WS

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2014, 06:23 PM »
I usually keep the dead stick pretty simple. A plain hook.

WS

Same here.   Sometimes a Northland rattle spoon, but usually just a hook.
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline EssoxHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Whoa black crappie bam da lam
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2014, 04:35 PM »
We can use up to 5 fishing devices at a time...so, my friends and I use 4 dead sticks and one jigging rod, lined up left to right, I like somethin that rattles on the jigging rod, and single hooks on3, and one dead stk with two hooks a foot and a half apart.a couple of my buddies swear by 5 dead sticks with small treble matching size of the minnow.3 guys u can cover a good are depending on the size of the spread.
Catch And Release  Pike And Muskie!!!

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2014, 04:37 PM »
when I deadstick I like just a plain circle hook.

Same here...
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
« Reply #8 on: Mar 14, 2014, 11:34 PM »
I've been trying a crappie rig with a rapala on the bottom, a minnow in the middle, and a wax worm on a jig on the top.  I have not had much luck but I think its because of the lakes in our area, NE PA. What do you guys think?
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 30, 2014, 02:58 PM »
I see this is an old thread but the season is almost upon us, so might as well get it going again. A few years ago I started using a Lindy rig on my dead stick rod. I will use a standard lindy rig, but only tie about a 6-12” snell on it with a phelps floater on the end. IMO there is nothing as easy for a walleye to inhale as the phelps, and this is always important, even more so in the winter.

Due to the way walleye eat, by swimming up to a bait, stopping and inhaling the bait, the ability for the bait to move easily into their mouth, is critical. On many occasions when guys are saying they are “hitting short”, this is usually why, you have not allowed them to inhale your bait easily.

When walleye are in positive feeding mood, this may not be as critical as they flair there gills wide, inhaling water and bait well into their mouths. If they are in a negative mood, which happens a lot in the winter, they may only flair their gills an inch or so, if your bait is on a taught line, or heavy, they may not get it all the way in, you may feel a small tick, but they are gone.
I use wave buster floats on all my ice fishing presentations as they offer virtually no resistance, and the slide is under water so they do not freeze. With the lindy rig setup, which is a bottom up presentation, rather than a top down, I can leave some slack in the line.  I leave the bail open with about 1-2 feet of slack, just to ensure they get the bait in before any resistance at all is felt.  It works quite well in our area and we have to use frozen minnows, in an area where you can use live minnows I think it would work even better.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.