The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Willoughby  (Read 9834 times)

Offline NEK_VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
Willoughby
« on: Jan 31, 2016, 08:17 PM »
How is the ice holding up on Willoughby this week? I'm really hoping to get out there and try my luck for a laker.

Offline hookup12

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Willoughby
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2016, 12:02 AM »
fishing the south beach area unknown how much ice not much ?

Offline johndeere540

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2016, 05:29 AM »
They fish quite a few areas of the lake this past weekend with 3-4 inches of black is! It got windy and warm yesterday and the ice went bad again. I tried checking it again last night and couldn't even get 5 feet on. Needs to turn cold again for a few days!

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2016, 06:03 AM »
JD, Thanks for the headsup ! :)

Offline WhereDaRainbows

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2016, 07:15 PM »
Is the entire lake locked up or just the edges?
"I have fished through fishless days that I remember happily without regret." -- Roderick Haig-Brown

Offline NEK_VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2016, 09:47 PM »
Thank you for the report. It's not looking good now. Current temp is 45 with a low of 40 tonight after some rain today. Could the ice possibly hold up? I'm doubting it.  Here's for hoping for cold nights.

Offline vttroutman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2016, 06:52 PM »
The north half of Willoughby was wide open as of this afternoon and the wind was still blowing.

Offline vermont mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2016, 08:17 PM »
I've been fishing wiloughby for 30 years, it's going to be fishable this year. It's sucks I know.

Offline ScreaminReelz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2016, 03:14 AM »
Hate to beat a dead horse but has anybody been by or on Willoughby lately?  I know it's been cold enough to make ice. Headin up this weekend  and was trying to  figure out where  (what lake) we're gonna fish. Any help would be appreciated.  :tipup:

Offline vttroutman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2016, 04:59 PM »
Still mostly open water on the north end. It might freeze back over this weekend, but then it gets warm again.

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2016, 06:22 PM »
Still mostly open water on the north end. It might freeze back over this weekend, but then it gets warm again.

Thanks for the update.  Accuweather says we are in for colder weather than some other sites, hope they are right...
http://m.accuweather.com/en/us/willoughby-vt/05822/extended-weather-forecast/2186802

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2016, 05:16 PM »
Any news on Willoughby? I see it's windy up there, but it's also cold! Headed up to NEK in two weeks, hoping to fish Willoughby at least one day of the trip.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2016, 07:04 PM »
Wiloughby might not be fishable this year.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline troutslayer 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • big ray
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2016, 07:15 PM »
fished the south end this morning ice isnt too bad out to devils past that i wouldnt try ur luck
aka half rack 23 willoughby

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2016, 08:10 PM »
Yeah I'm afraid it won't freeze as well, but staying hopeful. Anyone know if Maidstone is frozen? I don't know if it freezes first or not, where I am, it seems like the usual "safe" spots are not the same as in other years, prolly due to wind direction durring cold fronts.

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 14, 2016, 02:15 PM »
Yeah I'm afraid it won't freeze as well, but staying hopeful. Anyone know if Maidstone is frozen? I don't know if it freezes first or not, where I am, it seems like the usual "safe" spots are not the same as in other years, prolly due to wind direction durring cold fronts.

Maistone has had safe ice for about a month. gonna be -20 tonight at willoughby with calm winds. Might freeze over entirely if it hasnt already, but you wont catch me charging out to the middle! I will be there tomorrow and will report back on the conditions.

Offline vttroutman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 14, 2016, 02:51 PM »
There's still open water all throughout the middle and out in front of access as of Saturday. Wind was blowing all night so I assume the rest didn't freeze over. 40 and rain on Tuesday isn't looking good.

Offline NEK_VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 14, 2016, 08:21 PM »
Has anyone been fishing the F&W access? I know there's often slightly more ice there than further out.

Offline paddock

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 14, 2016, 09:16 PM »
Is Crystal safe?

Any word on how the bite at Maidstone has been? Always wanted to venture out there.

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 14, 2016, 09:44 PM »
Thanks for the help. I'll be up fishing caspian  Maidstone and Willoughby (if safe) in two weeks. I'll be sure to post how we do ! 

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 15, 2016, 08:34 AM »
Is Crystal safe?

I'm curious if anyone has been on Crystal this year, as well.  We'll be over there for a long weekend in a couple of weeks.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 15, 2016, 06:55 PM »
Hit willoughby and caspian today. willo was 100% frozen over, at long last. Looked like some sketchy black ice in places in the middle. Wouldnt venture out there. there were 2 cars about a quarter mile out on the south shore. we fished the nw corner. Varied from 4- 10" but we were near a stream.

Drove by crystal today. All frozen and presumed safe throughout.

Caspian had 12" of hard ice. got 3 lakers there which made up for getting skunked at willo.

Maidstone has been safe for a month.

Offline NEK_VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 15, 2016, 07:03 PM »
Thanks for the report! Nice job catching those lakers. Tight lines.

Offline paddock

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 15, 2016, 07:14 PM »
Thanks for the report! Hope the rain doesn't open willo up tomorrow.

I was on Caspien today too. Jigged one laker and had a couple hit and runs on the flags. Man, that ice was talking loud today!

When the ice is popping like it was today, do you think it effects the fish? Like when you tap on the glass of a fish tank and it stresses them out? The one I jigged up was in 50 fow. Maybe you need to go deeper when the ice is making so much noise? Thoughts?

Offline koissu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 15, 2016, 07:46 PM »
Also was at Caspian for most of today. No luck :/. Got one small laker at Elligo on Saturday.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 16, 2016, 11:54 AM »
Thanks for the report! Hope the rain doesn't open willo up tomorrow.

I was on Caspien today too. Jigged one laker and had a couple hit and runs on the flags. Man, that ice was talking loud today!

When the ice is popping like it was today, do you think it effects the fish? Like when you tap on the glass of a fish tank and it stresses them out? The one I jigged up was in 50 fow. Maybe you need to go deeper when the ice is making so much noise? Thoughts?

Nice! How big was the laker? Ours were 19", 20" and 21". Nothing huge, but not bad for 3 hours.

I have wondered about the popping affecting the fish. Two weekends ago the ice was popping so loud it sounded almost like gunshots. Didn't seem to affect the fishing though, was real consistently good. I wonder if the popping would affect baitfish more than bigger fish. I can imagine them getting disoriented from it. Would be a perfect time for lakers to feed I would think...

Offline paddock

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 16, 2016, 02:11 PM »
Nice! How big was the laker? Ours were 19", 20" and 21". Nothing huge, but not bad for 3 hours.

The one I landed was 18", so we covered a solid 4" range there lol. I'm going to try and get out there Thursday afternoon, and definitely all day Sunday. I've got a Clam pop up. Swing by and say hello if you're out there.

Offline Neksportsman850

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 17, 2016, 06:03 PM »
How's the ice? anyone been there yet? Thinking of going to the south end tmro.

Offline troutslayer 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • big ray
« Reply #28 on: Feb 17, 2016, 07:40 PM »
Saw trucks on the south end today the crazzy sob's
aka half rack 23 willoughby

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 18, 2016, 04:24 AM »
Saw trucks on the south end today the crazzy sob's

I saw a car on the south end last friday . ???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.