The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Waterbury  (Read 7045 times)

Offline MadflyfishingVT

• IceShanty Rookie
Waterbury
« on: Jan 17, 2016, 03:15 PM »
Hey, I know people went on the Waterbury Res last weekend, but didn't anyone go this weekend? If so is the ice good? Hate to get over there and not be safe ice. In addition, if you did fish the res did anything bite in the afternoon or all morning and night? Thanks!

Offline MadflyfishingVT

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Waterbury
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2016, 05:44 PM »
I take it no one fished the res😬

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2016, 06:08 PM »
Might head over there tomorrow,
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline Troutmagnet

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2016, 06:49 PM »
I stopped by the reservoir last Friday. Very quiet, no one was fishing. There were only two shanties on the ice. Good luck!

Offline sonny88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2016, 07:22 PM »
I fished there sunday plenty of ice but slow bite

Offline vermont mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2016, 07:51 PM »
Place shut right off, first ice it was amazing. Maybe it will happen again this year.
Big yellows and a few Browns and rainbows.
Happens every year, good 5-10 days of fishing then shuts off???

Offline pokholes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2016, 05:46 AM »
The trout bite has been shut off there for the last 4-5 years.

Offline MadflyfishingVT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2016, 07:02 AM »
Fished the res last Sunday. The bite was very slow, got about half dozen perch and only a few smelt. Did manage to jig up a 17" brown. So that did make the day worth while.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2016, 07:05 AM »
Fished the res last Sunday. The bite was very slow, got about half dozen perch and only a few smelt. Did manage to jig up a 17" brown. So that did make the day worth while.

That's a good sign trout are coming back.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline MadflyfishingVT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2016, 07:06 AM »
Let's hope...

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2016, 07:51 AM »
Any indication that it was wild? I know the streams that run into the res can hold some very nice wild fish.

Offline MadflyfishingVT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2016, 08:58 AM »
No I believe the brown was a stocky as the dorsal vin was clipped. Although I did flyfish the brook closest to the Stowe access and cought some wild rainbows and brookies, but no Browns. I have herd of wild Browns begging cought in the brooks though.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2016, 09:25 AM »
They're in there there's just way too much feed for them with all the smelt.
Need to be in the broad lake to catch them.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline MadflyfishingVT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2016, 09:45 AM »
I agree completely, but I wonder if the state stocked another predator fish in the lake like salmon or walleye. That the fishery would improve? I know the res is over 100 feet deep, so it could definitely support something like salmon. I know a lot of people would love to see walleye in the res. what's your guys thoughts?

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2016, 10:44 AM »
I doubt that too much feed is an issue. With all those smelt in there, the trout should be breeding like rabbits, and fattening up quick, especially with a couple good nursery brooks feeding in there. There's probably a few hogs in there, but give it some time and I bet there will be a lot more trout.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2016, 11:35 AM »
With all the smelt, they don't need to work for food too hard, that's why there's not a lot of action fishing.
Before the smelt came back it was a lot easier.
Same thing on Salem lake.
Champlain
Memphremagog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 28, 2016, 11:41 AM »
With all the smelt, they don't need to work for food too hard, that's why there's not a lot of action fishing.
Before the smelt came back it was a lot easier.
Same thing on Salem lake.

I'll grant you that, but all days with no fish might be worth it if you land a monster. Eventually, the trout numbers should rebound with that much food around... Kind of like the cycle between coyotes and rabbit populations.

Offline MadflyfishingVT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 28, 2016, 11:44 AM »
I hope you guys are right! Used to catch some Monsters!!!! Used to catch a trout every time and a 24" brown was not uncommon. Let's hope that it does rebound as it has the potential to be an amazing trout fishery.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 28, 2016, 12:14 PM »
I have pics and measurements of a 28" male native I caught out of there years ago through the ice that I released.
Wanted to do a replica but never did.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline MadflyfishingVT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 28, 2016, 12:18 PM »
Never have cought a native out of the lake its self. I have seen many large native brook trout cought threw the ice though.

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 28, 2016, 12:20 PM »
Used to be a lot of walleye in there, so if the state were to stock a new game fish that'd be my first pick. I'm not sure though, if salmon and walleye together would be a bad idea. The salmon fry would be competing with the trout in the feeder streams, so salmon might not work out.

I would like to see the walleye come back.

Didn't end up being able to get away today for fishing- maybe next week.

Randy

Offline Honest_John

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 28, 2016, 01:31 PM »
I'm taking some friends who are new to ice fishing out on Sunday, everyone think the ice at Blush Hill Rd. will be plenty thick? I haven't fished the res through the ice in the past; any advice is welcome! Thanks!

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 28, 2016, 01:32 PM »
I'm taking some friends who are new to ice fishing out on Sunday, everyone think the ice at Blush Hill Rd. will be plenty thick? I haven't fished the res through the ice in the past; any advice is welcome! Thanks!

Plenty of safe ice there. You should be fine.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 28, 2016, 04:17 PM »
I have pics and measurements of a 28" male native I caught out of there years ago through the ice that I released.
Wanted to do a replica but never did.

Post that hog!  It wouldn't be native since browns are not native to VT but a wild brown that size is still amazing.

Offline Troutmagnet

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 28, 2016, 09:35 PM »
Plenty of safe ice there. You should be fine.
X2. I saw about eight guys out on the ice around noon today. Might want some cleats as it was a bit slippery out there.

Offline sonny88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 29, 2016, 04:22 AM »
I saw a VT Fish biologist on the res on sunday and asked about putting walleye in. He said they don't have enough fry to go around. He also said they is very little, if any trout reproduction there although some of the wild trout that get in there reproduce in the feeder streams. So, as far as fishing getting much better there in the near future it ain't gonna happen.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 29, 2016, 07:08 AM »
I saw a VT Fish biologist on the res on sunday and asked about putting walleye in. He said they don't have enough fry to go around. He also said they is very little, if any trout reproduction there although some of the wild trout that get in there reproduce in the feeder streams. So, as far as fishing getting much better there in the near future it ain't gonna happen.

hmmm. Well I wonder where all the wild rainbow parr I have been catching on the feeder brooks are coming from then...

Offline MadflyfishingVT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 29, 2016, 07:30 AM »
hmmm. Well I wonder where all the wild rainbow parr I have been catching on the feeder brooks are coming from then...
I have also cought manny wild rainbows in the feeder streams while fly fishing! Which is great, but I am yet to catch a brown in either of the two streams! Have you been able to catch a brown in one of the streams yet?

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 29, 2016, 07:33 AM »
The brooks there all have small brook trout in them and occasionally somebody catches a monster brookie that didn't stay in the brooks. They get big in the pond, but they're lazy too. When I was a kid I caught an 18 inch one while trolling for walleyes. I have also caught wild brown trout in the lower parts of the feeder streams, so I have doubts about what the biologist said.

A few years back a state biologist told me that there were only a few hundred cormorants on Lake Champlain. I told him straight out that I've personally watched clouds of them that take several minutes to pass by- easily a thousand birds.

He didn't really say much to that.

Randy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 29, 2016, 08:09 AM »
I have also cought manny wild rainbows in the feeder streams while fly fishing! Which is great, but I am yet to catch a brown in either of the two streams! Have you been able to catch a brown in one of the streams yet?

I haven't caught any browns in there, but it's worth a shot, especially in the fall.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.