The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ethical Limits?  (Read 5142 times)

Offline TroutWhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ethical Limits?
« Reply #60 on: Feb 28, 2014, 12:39 PM »
Some of the people that comment on here actually are biologists and/or actually DO work for F&W  ;D
2GUYZ FISHING

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Feb 28, 2014, 01:02 PM »
Some of the people that comment on here actually are biologists and/or actually DO work for F&W  ;D

Hopefully while not at work !  :)

Offline TroutWhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Feb 28, 2014, 01:04 PM »
I confess...I'm totally at work right now.  But I don't work for the state and my "boss" doesn't ice fish....so I'm safe.  Just have to keep one hand on the mouse at all times ready to dump out to a chart or pie graph  ;)
2GUYZ FISHING

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Feb 28, 2014, 01:06 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline ICE_HOOK

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish now or never !!!!!!!
« Reply #64 on: Feb 28, 2014, 02:35 PM »
I confess...I'm totally at work right now.  But I don't work for the state and my "boss" doesn't ice fish....so I'm safe.  Just have to keep one hand on the mouse at all times ready to dump out to a chart or pie graph  ;)
  I like that!! Wish I had a computer job!

Offline shadylane

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Feb 28, 2014, 03:16 PM »
its like the "Boss Button" during march madness . . . . . Gotta love the Boss Button haha

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Feb 28, 2014, 06:18 PM »
Some of you guys should go to school and become biologists for the Vt. F&G Dept. You seem to know more about fish populations  than the true experts !  ???

I'm considering it. Just got a degree in forestry, might as well become an educated idiot in two subjects so I can have twice as many people tell me how to do my job ;)  ;D
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline Troutmagnet

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #67 on: Feb 28, 2014, 07:17 PM »
That's my understanding too. That makes for great reading.

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Love IceFishing for SMELT,PERCH,BLUEGILLS,CRAPPIE,
« Reply #68 on: Feb 28, 2014, 08:17 PM »
 :whistle: Looks like a Very hot topic here. Here is my 2 cents on all this . The only fish i ever harvest are Panfish and i only take what i feel like eating for that day or provide for my family. I believe Selective harvesting is Key to manage a healthy fish populations. You will NEVER see me walking off the Ice with Bucket full of smelt or perch no matter how many fish i catch. One reason i don't want to clean that many fish  :P
I know there  some Ice Anglers out there, who feel need to brag to Family and friends and if that is what makes you feel like a better fisherman , then so be it but you Should also feel Proud to release some of those bigger fish so they can spawn and be prize fish for another angler someday. 
Last year I caught a 20 pound pike and released her back into the waters of lake Champlain. Some people were like "Why" did you release it and i said Why Not release it.

I do all types of fishing; but I am Die hard Ice angler.
I love Ice Fishing the lakes of Rutland County. Recently moved to NY and now will be Ice fishing the Lakes Of New York.

Offline perchfry

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Feb 28, 2014, 09:35 PM »
My thoughts
More than limits are the fisherman that leave fish on the ice,  frozen fish in a parking lot or swing small fish around when they catch them when they no intention of keeping them.  All of these events I have seen far to often.
I spent many years around the Great Lakes with quantity limits on perch and have ice fished LC for 18 years.  State F&W agencies set the limits to manage a renewable resource.  If you enjoy the resource it is important support the rules that are established so everyone can enjoy fishing for their family in the future.
Common sense tells everyone that the rules need to be reset or revised.  Commercial fish mongers are licensed to maintain records on the harvest if the State feels our lakes can maintain support a commercial harvest I'm ok with it.  If panfish numbers decline from fishing pressure, invasive species etc... and a creel limit is set I'm ok with it.
Do your part harvest a reasonable limit whether you sell fish or consume them.  For me I have stopped fishing perch in the spring allowing them to spawn and will let some bigger female fish later in the ice fishing season back down the hole.  Balance is key for everyone to continue to enjoy our passion   

Offline pokholes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Mar 02, 2014, 01:00 PM »
My thoughts
More than limits are the fisherman that leave fish on the ice,  frozen fish in a parking lot or swing small fish around when they catch them when they no intention of keeping them.  All of these events I have seen far to often.
I spent many years around the Great Lakes with quantity limits on perch and have ice fished LC for 18 years.  State F&W agencies set the limits to manage a renewable resource.  If you enjoy the resource it is important support the rules that are established so everyone can enjoy fishing for their family in the future.
Common sense tells everyone that the rules need to be reset or revised.  Commercial fish mongers are licensed to maintain records on the harvest if the State feels our lakes can maintain support a commercial harvest I'm ok with it.  If panfish numbers decline from fishing pressure, invasive species etc... and a creel limit is set I'm ok with it.
Do your part harvest a reasonable limit whether you sell fish or consume them.  For me I have stopped fishing perch in the spring allowing them to spawn and will let some bigger female fish later in the ice fishing season back down the hole.  Balance is key for everyone to continue to enjoy our passion   

Well said! Agree X2!!!! :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.