The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: jbritch  (Read 739 times)

Offline jbritch

• Team IceShanty Regular
jbritch
« on: Feb 28, 2014, 03:18 PM »
Please forgive the redundancy; I keep getting the same result no matter what I do.

So I've been reading the "ethical" posts with interest as I think some of this debate got started after I made a Hog Island report in which I mused that I had a poor catch day after the 8000 lb harvest in 4 days.  I also wondered whether the waters around Hog Island could support a ton-a-day harvest and got called a troublemaker and an idiot (thanks to those who said nice things).  This graph is from the VT F&G biologists and clearly supports what I was thinking.  The yellow perch seem to take two years to rebound from a big harvest and then they do not fully rebound to previous levels.  This is a small data set but the prediction of a zero harvest in 2032 is interesting anyway.  It's only an observation and a conversation starter so don't start sending me death threats, ok?

][URL=http://s748.photobucket.com/user/jgbritch/media/perchharvest_zps0ec98e26.jpg.html][/url]

Offline Blackink

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: jbritch
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2014, 06:10 PM »
If this is indeed the expected trend of the perch population and the numbers continue to dwindle over the coming years, wouldn't the F&G restrict/reduce the amount you can catch?

That would make the most sense, wouldn't it?!?

Offline ISLAND STORM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2014, 07:42 PM »
Not sure about all the numbers... the graph or even Fish and Wildlife. However what I do know being a camp owner on Hog Island and long time fisherman there is that yellow perch in the area are definitely on the decline. I started noticing it when I started catching more and more white perch in the area. Over the course of the last five years there has been times when I wondered where all the yellows went. I don't believe that fisherman are making an impact on the population. I believe it's the whites....on a side note I don't go fishing to sell my catch. I go cause I love the sport. I feel like everyone I put back will be there for my kids down the road. I do want to thank jbritch for all the effort and concern he has put into his post and his feelings on keeping our lake healthy.
My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Tight lines and be safe.

Offline perchhauler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2014, 07:53 PM »
this info is biased from the beginning as it is only the fish sold. not taking into account the fish that have been harvested and not sold, and fish harvested by predators. some summers there is a perch dieoff from blue green algae.   Seems to be a baseline of 100000 lbs that is holding.  last year for example the perch prices were down.

Offline Lord_of_the_Perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2014, 07:58 PM »
....so what do you suggest?

Offline flagfishon

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You should have seen it! It was huge!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2014, 11:02 PM »
I am far more concerned about the impact of the White Perch vs over fishing of Yellow Perch.  I caught my first whites this year and plan on keeping everyone that I catch.  I hope that they taste ok.  I have yet to find a fish that is bad, but I really love yellows. 

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2014, 11:40 PM »
Whites are alright out of cold water. During softwater season they make great catfish bait.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline Dead Head on ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2014, 05:47 AM »
I agree with everyone. The white perch are having a huge impact, how big.. who knows? Just like the alewives have had a huge impact on the lake. Maybe these "huge harvests" should be put on hold for awhile, at least long enough so we can see how white perch, alewives and all the other alien fish are affecting the overall health of the lake. I know one thing for sure- I catch a lot less perch these days, and haven't caught a smelt out of lake Champlain in God knows how long.

Offline mempfree

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2014, 05:07 PM »
Gee, charts!  Where can I get all of this info, from the Vermont Fish and Game Department? ;D  Are all of these charts, in a secret safe, somewhere?  Just asking.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.