The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: When is our money and concerns gonna be taken seriously??  (Read 6254 times)

Offline Rickybobby

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: When is our money and concerns gonna be taken seriously??
« Reply #30 on: Jan 09, 2013, 12:04 PM »
You guys want to smell my feet?

Offline ruby slipper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 09, 2013, 12:12 PM »
You guys want to smell my feet?

If you're not first,you're last.

How's the off-season treating you Ricky Bobby?

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Love IceFishing for SMELT,PERCH,BLUEGILLS,CRAPPIE,
« Reply #32 on: Jan 09, 2013, 12:24 PM »
  I too enjoy fishing for the elusive Mr. Walleye ..... not sure what happened to Maygog/champlain eyes ? They are surely missed by many. Loss of spawning grounds , structure change , water temps. .... spills/leaks ?????? I also agree that TO MUCH of sportsmans dollars are spent on put and take trout. Yet at the same time I realize the revenue they produce. Our waters could definitely use more monies allotted to RESTOREMENT efforts. Now our streams around here (sth Vt. ) are junk from massive floods..... and my grandkids fishing future ...??????
  MY #1 peeve is ... ACCESS ACCESS ACCESS ACCESS. Whether it be for hunting or fishing ! If I pay for a cow I darn sure better have ACCESS to the milk !  .... Enjoy ... I'll leave the light on for ya !
i hear on this one .. Look at all the super nice boat access on the NY York side of lake Champlain and then look at the Vermont accesses .There is no comparison . the Ny side has way bigger accesses and lot bigger parking lots.
I do all types of fishing; but I am Die hard Ice angler.
I love Ice Fishing the lakes of Rutland County. Recently moved to NY and now will be Ice fishing the Lakes Of New York.

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #33 on: Jan 09, 2013, 12:28 PM »
Thank you beyond belief for summing up what I couldn't with the phrase "Bucket Biology!" :clap: :thumbsup:

I hope you don't mind if I use that now in response to peoples knee-jerk reactions to a few bad days on the Water or Ice, or in the woods for that matter! I think a lot of us are sick of hearing guys complain about the people working to maintain, restore, and preserve the amazing fisheries we have in this state based on science, not assumptions, just because they are not catching fish as big as the ones in their grandaddy's fish stories...  There is a reason we are continuously breaking all time records for fish sizes in this state!

I agree with you and tench. I think there are many factors that play into people's frustration.

1) This is an age of instant gratification, the I WANT IT NOW syndrome and often people don't want to work very hard to get what they want

2) Our state has seen some significant changes in the waterways since Irene, climate change has led to shorter ice fishing seasons and as tench pointed out these are living ecosystems that are always in a state of flux. You have to learn to roll with the changes.

3) The economy is a mess, in VT we are highly taxed and anytime we are required to pay a little more for something people react to that. In terms of the 2013 license fees, a combination license is $38 this year. If you fish year around and hunt the seasons you can get use out of this license for 12 months out of the year, or $3.16 per month (albeit if you buy all the add on tags it will cost you $11.13 per month and that includes a trapping tag, archery, turkey, muzzleloader, bear, duck et al). In my opinion this is a small price to pay for all of the fun and adventures I have enjoying what this state has to offer as well as passing along the heritage of fishing and hunting to my children and nieces and nephews.

Ice fishing 2012

photo storage

photo hosting sites

free image hosting

picture hosting

There is duck hunting

photo sharing sites

My 10 yo daughter's first deer in 2012

photo uploader

My 8 point in 2012

free image hosting

There are a lot of adventures to have just get out there and have fun doing it and don't lose heart if it does not come easy  :tipup:

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Jan 09, 2013, 12:37 PM »
Let's see....
they call them "the elusive" walleye? Why?
Is it because they hide so well, or is it because they are in short supply?
Sure, making a connection between a bad fishing outing and bad F&G management is a reach, but in this day and age we have seen much stranger connections every day.

Here in MA, although our fishing license hasn't increased, our stcking programs have dwindled dramatically.
We sued to have quite a few fish hatcheries in state, but the budget was cut and so were they. They were not hiring game wardens or field officers, but were able to refurbish their field office, they have even gone as far as to no longer mail out licenses and make you print out your own after paying a "convenience fee" for being forced to buy it online from a vendor in another state. So I can sympathize with him about the fishing quality and F&G connection.

It's a slippery slope when the F&G dictate where fish will be stocked and what will be stocked, and they promote the few waters that receive the lion's share of fish as well as invite an increase in fishing pressure.
Tell us that ALL the fish are stocked in one pond, advertize it nationwide to draw in out-of-staters, and then tell us you don't know why the locals can't seem to get any fish when the OOS's have been limiting out every trip, all year long. I know it sounds far fetched, but it's a good scenario to indicate what may be the most prudent problem....apathy, or outright ignorance.  The F&G may be ignoring the biological facts because they are counting the monetary results. More money to play with!

We used to have native trout streams and rivers here in MA, but finding one is like finding bigfoot....you have heard of one, but Damn, you'll never see one! Now a large portion of our F&G budget is to maintain a put and take fishery. I don't know about you, but stocked trout taste like crap. The difference between a native / acclimated trout and a freshly stocked trout would be like the difference between top shelf and bar booze, or home made chicken dinner and a frozen tv dinner by a no-name company.

OK, my rant is over, my coffee is gone and I need to eat!

Have a great day!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Relheok

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Swamp Yankee
« Reply #35 on: Jan 09, 2013, 03:16 PM »
He is upset about F&G funding and where the appropriations are going. Put together a letter to them and legislature. Start going to their public meetings. Volunteer.

Learn how to catch Walleye?

Offline vtbuckrulrss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 09, 2013, 03:46 PM »
You guys realize that the state does not even keep
Access areas plowed out?
If its plowed its because either the town is doing it or a
Ice fisherman is doing it.
Next time you use an access take a minute and
Think about it.
Chances are you would not be able to fish it because
There would be no place to park.

Because of your question, I asked the state on their FB page.  This was their answer.....Yes, Vermont Fish & Wildlife is responsible for the maintenance of the fishing access areas. If you have come across an access area that is in need of attention please contact Mike Wichrowski with Vermont Fish & Wildlife to report this. He can be reached at (802) 479-8601 or email at [email protected]
Silly rookies, traps are for animals!!  Tilts are for kids!!  Fishermen use tip ups!

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 09, 2013, 04:21 PM »
Let's see....
they call them "the elusive" walleye? Why?
Is it because they hide so well, or is it because they are in short supply?
Sure, making a connection between a bad fishing outing and bad F&G management is a reach, but in this day and age we have seen much stranger connections every day.

Here in MA, although our fishing license hasn't increased, our stcking programs have dwindled dramatically.
We sued to have quite a few fish hatcheries in state, but the budget was cut and so were they. They were not hiring game wardens or field officers, but were able to refurbish their field office, they have even gone as far as to no longer mail out licenses and make you print out your own after paying a "convenience fee" for being forced to buy it online from a vendor in another state. So I can sympathize with him about the fishing quality and F&G connection.

It's a slippery slope when the F&G dictate where fish will be stocked and what will be stocked, and they promote the few waters that receive the lion's share of fish as well as invite an increase in fishing pressure.
Tell us that ALL the fish are stocked in one pond, advertize it nationwide to draw in out-of-staters, and then tell us you don't know why the locals can't seem to get any fish when the OOS's have been limiting out every trip, all year long. I know it sounds far fetched, but it's a good scenario to indicate what may be the most prudent problem....apathy, or outright ignorance.  The F&G may be ignoring the biological facts because they are counting the monetary results. More money to play with!

We used to have native trout streams and rivers here in MA, but finding one is like finding bigfoot....you have heard of one, but Damn, you'll never see one! Now a large portion of our F&G budget is to maintain a put and take fishery. I don't know about you, but stocked trout taste like crap. The difference between a native / acclimated trout and a freshly stocked trout would be like the difference between top shelf and bar booze, or home made chicken dinner and a frozen tv dinner by a no-name company.

OK, my rant is over, my coffee is gone and I need to eat!

Have a great day!
They are not elusive I think they are nearly gone and mostly fishermens fault, I remember fishing east creek bank to bank  boats during the spawn every boat had a stringer full, there went the spawn,

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline vtmopar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 09, 2013, 04:36 PM »
Because of your question, I asked the state on their FB page.  This was their answer.....Yes, Vermont Fish & Wildlife is responsible for the maintenance of the fishing access areas. If you have come across an access area that is in need of attention please contact Mike Wichrowski with Vermont Fish & Wildlife to report this. He can be reached at (802) 479-8601 or email at [email protected]

Wow,
That's cool, I thought Facebook was only good for home wrecking.
It actually has a purpose.
Thanks for taking the time and looking this up.
this used to be a friendly forum.........

Offline shaunbolio25

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Perchman From The Northeast
« Reply #39 on: Jan 09, 2013, 04:57 PM »
For all of those who like to run there mouth, if they were here to catch, trust me, I would have them. If your so good at catchin them, then get up here and show us. Most of you who are kissin hiny are probably to blind to see what they are doing to us. I will pay any amount of money to hunt and fish. I want them to give back like they promise. I want them to preserve for the future generations, I want to see the Fish and Game sponsor a little more. I want to see renvenue built up in all states and towns. Why is it that the authorities have to use thier little badge and bully us around with their ASSAULT weapons on their sides and their big fines that are used to pay for more trucks. The last Game Warden I confronted about a law, said, oh well, do you have a callback number, I will have to get back to u. We paid for them to go to school. Now they ride in expensive trucks and act as an answering machine. U tell me where u see all this changing. They are flattening our woods, letting our lakes go to hell, yet its okay. 
Be Safe! Have Fun! FISH ON!

Offline webster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 09, 2013, 05:14 PM »
When we do well we take all the credit for being a real wizard at catching fish when we do poorly we tend to blame everyone else for the short coming.    The other thing now is there are a lot more of us after the same number of fish.    We just are not building any new lakes
The equipment is much better what would the catches have been if grandpa had what we had to day.    One big one is the easy light heaters and portable shanty's in the 70s we were using kerosene heaters that did not stay light portable meant a car with a hole in the floor at  below zero we did not fish.   Hell even the cloths today are warmer and  lighter.   

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #41 on: Jan 09, 2013, 06:22 PM »
$25 for a fishing license and b***hing about a species we fisherman have done in? Hard to believe this rant,
i think fishing in VT is very good almost great. I  think the accesses
by and large are good not perfect but very acceptable. Walleyes sorry we fisherman cleaned that species
out. Yes 50-60 years ago F&G partly at fault for not restricting the limits but then we would be b***hing about the limits.

Offline no rules

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Jan 09, 2013, 06:26 PM »
all the stock goes to champlain-not fair!

Offline fishnmachine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 09, 2013, 06:36 PM »
$25 for a fishing license and b***hing about a species we fisherman have done in? Hard to believe this rant,
by and large are good not perfect but very acceptable. Walleyes sorry we fisherman cleaned that species
out. Yes 50-60 years ago F&G partly at fault for not restricting the limits but then we would be b***hing about the limits.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :tipup:
                           One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.

Offline pwicefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Jan 09, 2013, 06:38 PM »
Couldn't of summed it up better

Offline vtpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Jan 09, 2013, 06:54 PM »
I think fishinmachine said it best!!!   WAAAAHHHHHH!!!

Get over it...want this converstaion go to the Maine board!

Offline mempfree

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 09, 2013, 11:19 PM »
The topic is:  When is our Money and Concerns gonna be taken Seriously?  Well, living in the NEK, I say never.  You can go to the Vermont Dept Fish and Game Dept website and see where they are stocking the local Vermont Ponds, Brooks, Rivers and Lakes, with fish, that some do come from the Rivers and Brooks of Vermont, then raised in Hatchery's in Vermont and also else where.  Unless the Vermont Fish and Game Dept, start to look at the loss of habitat, around these Rivers, Streams and Brooks, you are losing your battle, in my opinion.  Vermont Rivers, Streams and Brooks in Vermont, have so much against them.  Development is a big problem.  What I mean is, over the many years, there has been alot of Bank erosion, from local and big Development projects, near the Streams and Rivers in Vermont. Loss of Shade, creates warmer Temps, which for some Trout species, they can't survive.  In my area, the State of Vermont Leg and State, has allowed a big Landfill, near two Major Rivers, that feed a local Lake.  This Landfill, now is one of the last one open in Vermont. Then you get these Mother Nature Problems, which happen. You can have all of these Professional Individuals who work for this State, with there Computers, new Vehicles  and have College Degrees in taking care of the Environment, etc., but they don't have the Money or Time, to just look at the whole grid of what Habitat loss to the Vermont Rivers, Streams, Ponds and Lakes.  Sorryful.  Just my opinion. ;D

Offline icejumper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 10, 2013, 03:37 AM »
Face it alls  F&G wants to stock are trout. 

Offline DyingBreed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DYING BREED
« Reply #48 on: Jan 10, 2013, 11:47 AM »
Waaaaaah.....   :'(   :'(   :'(  They're not known as "The Elusive Walleye" because they're easy...
 :tipup:
    AMEN.   ;) They'll' challenge ya for sure !! GREAT fish !
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy !  Fish on, gotta go ..........!!!

Offline ruby slipper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Jan 10, 2013, 01:59 PM »
For all of those who like to run there mouth, if they were here to catch, trust me, I would have them. If your so good at catchin them, then get up here and show us. Most of you who are kissin hiny are probably to blind to see what they are doing to us. I will pay any amount of money to hunt and fish. I want them to give back like they promise. I want them to preserve for the future generations, I want to see the Fish and Game sponsor a little more. I want to see renvenue built up in all states and towns. Why is it that the authorities have to use thier little badge and bully us around with their ASSAULT weapons on their sides and their big fines that are used to pay for more trucks. The last Game Warden I confronted about a law, said, oh well, do you have a callback number, I will have to get back to u. We paid for them to go to school. Now they ride in expensive trucks and act as an answering machine. U tell me where u see all this changing. They are flattening our woods, letting our lakes go to hell, yet its okay.

The solution to pollution is dillution - its our responsability to preserve for future generations, not just the States. Ever heard the saying, "if you want something done right do it yourself". You complaining about the state not preserving,stocking, whatever species after saying how your grandpa use to rip walleye is like calling the kettle black, too bad your grandpa didn't think about preserving future fishing for his grandchildren...or that was somebody else's complaint,if so my bad. Short term memory loss and lack of interest in reading this entire thread.

How many trucks has the state purchased new for Wardens in the last fiscal year? Do you have any numbers to show how the state spends or are you just ranting and raving?

I personally have no problem paying more for a license nor do I have a problem catching and RELEASING walleye on lake Champlain.

Just my 2 cents.

Offline bradroy55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 10, 2013, 03:08 PM »
When the annual license cost increases get higher than the money I spend buying a scratch off ticket each week, Then maybe I will complain about it, but until then I am just fine with spending 48 Cents per week to fish. I Don't think It's unreasonable for us to carve out an extra three dollars over the course of a year to fish...

Offline maineranger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 10, 2013, 03:33 PM »
" or if we should keep paying for new trucks for the Wardens."
[/quote]Not sure if it is the same in VT, but in Maine our warden trucks are leased.  They turn them in around 100,000 miles for another one, the state doesn't buy them.

Offline Rob M

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Jan 11, 2013, 12:24 PM »
It's not only pollution and shoreline erosion, it is overharvesting. In ten years people will be complaining there are no more crappie and gills in Champlain. You can not expect to go out everyday and fill up a five gallon pail and not effect the fishery, never mind ten guys doing the same thing day after day in the same areas whether from a boat or hardwater. I think the fishing in VT is quite good, I fish Champlain 5 - 10 x a year and a few other spots, but then again I fish for bass and pike so I do not know of the walleye and trout situation, but over harvesting is the #1 issue.

Instead of bashing Fish and Wildlife why don't you have a conversation with them. I have had many with both VT and NY and both are happy to hear your concerns and give you both their point of view, and the states. Get involved instead of b*tching from behind your computer.

Offline pokholes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Jan 12, 2013, 09:29 AM »
They are out there doing their jobs! I like being checked by a warden, it shows me that they are out there looking for guys breaking the law.   By the sounds you must have something to hide, because ANYONE out there fishing or hunting legally wouldn't need to be worried about a "shady" warden........ Just saying........

X2 Well said!!! :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline vtpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Jan 12, 2013, 05:32 PM »
We also send our whitetails to Ontario and Illinois! @)

Offline ruby slipper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Jan 12, 2013, 10:11 PM »
1) power augers ARE NOT allowed on Berlin Pond.
2) Anybody know how the ice is on Salem?

...oh, did I comment on the wrong thread? I hate it when a thread gest side tracked. 

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Jan 12, 2013, 10:13 PM »
 :roflmao:  :icefish:
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline dave bartlett

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Jan 13, 2013, 07:13 AM »
           I could go on and on about this Walleye thing in Champlain but i won't.But i will tell you a few facts about it.
           Years ago we used to come off the lake with 10 to 30 walleyes and just as many sauger in one day.EVERYBODY did this.Then the 12 inch law came in,then the 15 inch, and then the fish limit.It takes allot of years for a walleye to get to 8 lbs in Champlain.(15 to 25 years).Allot of fish we caught back in the 60's were 1 to 3 lbs.Very seldom you caught one over 6 lbs.With people catching this many and NO ONE stocking them devastates the population.A Biologists told me once that the reason Vermont doesn't stock them is because that is NOT the money fish in Champlain.It is Lake Trout and Salmon.That's what everybody comes here to fish and that's where the moneys at.Look what Vermont does on these three species as far as stocking and it speaks for itself.
          I will give them some credit but just because they are doing a little more now then they did do,but about 50 times more will be needed.I will always fish Vermont because i lived here my whole life but that doesn't mean i agree with everything they do.Good Luck and Have Fun

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
« Reply #58 on: Jan 13, 2013, 07:46 AM »
Well put Dave.  Dont you think if they put the effort to rehabilitate the Champlain Walleye population to half the state it once was that it would draw people? Look at Carmi, when that place was at its prime it was nothing to see 30-40 boats a day out on that small body of water.  Why? Because, that was the most consistant lake in the state to catch Walleye.  Maybe they should start on a smaller scale and work on a few inland lake because Champlain could be a lifelong project {if ever} to return it to a world class Walleye fishery.  I would think a smaller body of water would be a lot easier to establish a self sustaining Walleye fishery. 

Offline fishnmachine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Jan 13, 2013, 08:04 AM »
   I've also been here all my life. Overfishing seems to be taking the heaviest blame here for the lack of walleyes in Champlain. I disagree. I have a couple of theories. One is the white perch. Back when you are talking about the 100 lb. days, nobody ever heard of a white perch. Whoever, in their infinite wisdom, introduced them into Champlain changed/ killed the fishery. They are voracious, and eat everything that moves, including walleye fry. Someday try the old school method of bottom bouncing a threaded night crawler for walleyes, and see what you get...
   My second, and strongest theory about their disappearance is pollution. Very few people seem to recall, or even know, that 25 +/- years ago there was a chemical spill into the Champlain Canal at the height of the spawn, EXACTLY the WORST possible time, that left the banks of the lower lake COVERED with dead fish. I remember it. It was sickening. The banks were white; tons of walleyes. Fishermen didn't do it, no matter how many hundred pound days you had.
   But due to restocking efforts by VT F&W, NY DEC, and John Rozell of the Lake Champlain Walleye Association, they are coming back. People are catching walleyes again, and not just 1 to 3 lb. fish, but 9 and 10 pounders, too.   :tipup:
                           One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.