The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: When is our money and concerns gonna be taken seriously??  (Read 6253 times)

Offline shaunbolio25

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Perchman From The Northeast
I am a twenty five year old avid fisherman from the Northeast Kingdom who is very concerned. We pay alot of money each year and yet still stumped on how we used to have tons of Walleyes and now we cant get any. I fish not only for the sport and the fun but the good eaten. I was under the assumption that a portion of our license fees were an investment for better quality fishing in the future. Now the Clyde River and Magog are marked with regulation signs about Walleye. I have spent all kinds of money and have yet to hook one. Where did they go? Thats right BALD HILL HATCHERY and they all go to CHAMPLAIN. When will the truck stop locally. We even truck them to MINNESOTA, but not Newport Vermont. When will we be heard? It was a tradition when I was a boy to fish eyes at night. We had fun and good frys. But now all I have is stories for my eight year old. Please fill me in if my contribution isnt big enough or is not loyal enough for an answer, or if we should keep paying for new trucks for the Wardens.
Be Safe! Have Fun! FISH ON!

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: When is our money and concerns gonna be taken seriously??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2013, 12:49 PM »
I'm sure the "authorities" can give you an answer strewn with facts and figures that they claim why they have been doing what they were doing is in the "best interest" of the state.
What they won't tell you is that the "best interest" of the state is THEM!

If Vermont is anything like other Northeastern states, you see a lot of flagrant waste of funds on what they claim are neccesary luxuries.
They need a new truck because the old one (probably a few years old) doesn't have GPS and  satellite radio.
They need to ship a good portion of the fish stock (that you paid for) to another state to repay a debt (that had NOTHING to do with the F&G business)
They need to hire new "officers" because some local politician's brothers' wife's uncle's grandson needs a job to saty out on parole,

I'm sure you can find some equally repugnant reasons and examples as well.

The bottom line is that since your license and permit fees generally pay their salary, they SHOULD be accountable to you/the public for thier actions.

That doesn't mean they will comply, though.

I hope my presumptions are wrong, but my past experience has taught me the ugly truth.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline shaunbolio25

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Perchman From The Northeast
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2013, 12:58 PM »
Its not right. We should be heard. If there gonna continue to raise prices they had better start explaining. We  should have a right to know where this is going and have a say or they should not be allowed to up prices or make any adjustments. We have to stand our grounds.
Be Safe! Have Fun! FISH ON!

Offline vtmopar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2013, 01:37 PM »
You guys realize that the state does not even keep
Access areas plowed out?
If its plowed its because either the town is doing it or a
Ice fisherman is doing it.
Next time you use an access take a minute and
Think about it.
Chances are you would not be able to fish it because
There would be no place to park.
this used to be a friendly forum.........

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Love IceFishing for SMELT,PERCH,BLUEGILLS,CRAPPIE,
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2013, 02:38 PM »
I feel your pain on the walleye thing. i use to hear stories about my grandfather and how many walleyes he use to bring home from Champlain, and now, all i hear is stories of how great the fishery use to be. i would love to see a place like maygog have a healthy population of walleye . i fish up there 4-5 times a year and i drive 3 hours from Rutland, vt  to do it, because i love that lake
I do all types of fishing; but I am Die hard Ice angler.
I love Ice Fishing the lakes of Rutland County. Recently moved to NY and now will be Ice fishing the Lakes Of New York.

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2013, 03:27 PM »
Shaunbolio25: Just because the cost for a season pass to enjoy our great state's hunting and fishing went up a few bucks is no reason to crap on the state for your inability to catch walleye.

It takes time for issues to arise then develop solutions. If there is a walleye problem and the state is imposing some regulation to try and deal with the issue I don't understand why the frustration.

Offline Smelty88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2013, 04:02 PM »
lav have you fished in vermont lately? the fishing nearly sucks every where you go! Fishing use to be much better and is much better in many states, yea yea go ahead and tell me "then why dont you move there" thats fine. but the fact is we pay a licence fee for this, a licence fee for that, and a licence fee for something else and regardless if they go up or they go down, thing should be improving not getting worse!
Think I'm gettin abite my flag's twitchin
twitter@wefishing2day IG: Smelty88

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • im a die hard ice fishing addict 'nuff said
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2013, 04:15 PM »
i agree completely with the walleye argument that they should stock them and reintroduce them to places that once held them. I remember driving past lake eden once and was told that there once was walleye in there but they were fished out and instead of replacing them they placed trout in instead of walleye which I found confusing since stocked trout never actually really last long and they don't reproduce.
i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Offline perchhauler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2013, 04:28 PM »
one of my pet peeves are the crappy boat launches, most of them are so filledin  all they are good for are the yuppy kayaks!

Offline Vtbestbarber

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2013, 04:41 PM »
I symphaize with everyone's frustrations and concerns, but what we fail to acknowledge is our cooperation with the biologist and game wardens is imperative to make it a cohesive network of concerned anglers and educated purveyors of our sport. We all recall and listen to fishing exploits of yesteryears but that was a generation where fisherman, in large part, depended on a full creel to feed their family and neglect sportsman like conduct. We, the fisherman have all contributed to bringing fisheries to the brink, with over fishing and thinking that just because it states the maximum limit in the law book is something we need to achieve, out of ego not hunger or necessity! To look at the decline in vermonts lakes, streams, and ponds we need only look in the mirror to see the culprit. Progress and reversing the damage of a inferior fishery starts with us! Reducing the amount we take home, selectively harvesting larger fish or taking a picture instead, volunteering time to trout unlimited or other like minded organizations, these are simple steps to preserve and enhance fishing, not complain when you discuss the cause when you chastise the game wardens. We all need to practice better stewardship to keep our fish population in check and give it a chance to rebound. I welcome all rebuttals everyone has a opinion and this is mine

Offline Smelty88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2013, 04:45 PM »
I symphaize with everyone's frustrations and concerns, but what we fail to acknowledge is our cooperation with the biologist and game wardens is imperative to make it a cohesive network of concerned anglers and educated purveyors of our sport. We all recall and listen to fishing exploits of yesteryears but that was a generation where fisherman, in large part, depended on a full creel to feed their family and neglect sportsman like conduct. We, the fisherman have all contributed to bringing fisheries to the brink, with over fishing and thinking that just because it states the maximum limit in the law book is something we need to achieve, out of ego not hunger or necessity! To look at the decline in vermonts lakes, streams, and ponds we need only look in the mirror to see the culprit. Progress and reversing the damage of a inferior fishery starts with us! Reducing the amount we take home, selectively harvesting larger fish or taking a picture instead, volunteering time to trout unlimited or other like minded organizations, these are simple steps to preserve and enhance fishing, not complain when you discuss the cause when you chastise the game wardens. We all need to practice better stewardship to keep our fish population in check and give it a chance to rebound. I welcome all rebuttals everyone has a opinion and this is mine

very well put!
Think I'm gettin abite my flag's twitchin
twitter@wefishing2day IG: Smelty88

Offline fishinrules

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2013, 05:06 PM »
I think our money just went to the stupid 3 million roundabout the state paid for in my town what a waste

Offline jonny jigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2013, 05:33 PM »
it sucks this state should have a great wallie fishery they should put them in semour willabe echo casbi all the big lakes that hold tons of smelt they would never hurt the laker population just about every lake in canada has wallie and lakers we have to many deep lakes going to waste. the state should make a wallie program

Offline CJiceaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2013, 06:17 PM »
I see the frustration. At least you guys have some walleye and though a lot goes into Champlain, it's an awesome fishery. In nh, all we have is winni. Can't keep salmon in winter, almost no pike except the river. Walleye don't exist except the river. And our instate price is 35$ so they can through salmon in Winnie and put trout in the stocker ponds. Maybe it's worse than what I experience but if it weren't for the conn river, I wouldn't be too excited at all about nh and would probably just fish vt. Just a different view-

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2013, 06:26 PM »
it sucks this state should have a great wallie fishery they should put them in semour willabe echo casbi all the big lakes that hold tons of smelt they would never hurt the laker population just about every lake in canada has wallie and lakers we have to many deep lakes going to waste. the state should make a wallie program

So we need another invasive species to fix the problem? They make their way into enough bodies of water without legal help. Its thoughts like this that have people fishing for pike in Memphremagog now, largemouth bass in Lake Carmi, and alewives in Lake Champlain just to name a few examples.

Part of the reason that so much effort goes into Champlain is because it undoubtedly receives the most fishing pressure and its watershed covers most of the state. The other little hole in the wall ponds make very little sense to stock and such if someone is going to go there with their kids to "catch fish like grandpa" and haul in 5 limits of salmon or walleyes over and over, or someone decides "Hmmm, I think there should be crappie in here." The fish stocked in the lake have a much greater chance of survival in a larger body of water.

I have no problem catching decent numbers of quality fish year after year. I think many of you are probably fishing your grandfather's old honey holes and such, expecting the same results as the old photographs. Do you think those trophies and full stringers were caught every day? I sure hope you don't. Don't forget that lakes and ponds are AQUATIC ECOSYSTEMS. They aren't static, but rather subject to constant change, and fishing no doubt is a major factor affecting them. Try fishing somewhere else on the lake sometime, go out and look for the fish you want. You may be surprised at what you'll find. Well, I'm done pissing into the wind on the internet and trying to change the world with a few keystrokes, time to go fish for brook trout in Norton Pond...  ::)
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline finlessbrown

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 08, 2013, 06:32 PM »
i happen to like the fishing in this state. can't comment on the walleye thing, there are none around my area and it doesn't bother me a bit, i just fish to fish and i have fun doing it!

Offline fishermarsh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 08, 2013, 06:36 PM »

Very well said, thank you

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 08, 2013, 06:37 PM »
So we need another invasive species to fix the problem? They make their way into enough bodies of water without legal help. Its thoughts like this that have people fishing for pike in Memphremagog now, largemouth bass in Lake Carmi, and alewives in Lake Champlain just to name a few examples.

Part of the reason that so much effort goes into Champlain is because it undoubtedly receives the most fishing pressure and its watershed covers most of the state. The other little hole in the wall ponds make very little sense to stock and such if someone is going to go there with their kids to "catch fish like grandpa" and haul in 5 limits of salmon or walleyes over and over, or someone decides "Hmmm, I think there should be crappie in here." The fish stocked in the lake have a much greater chance of survival in a larger body of water.

I have no problem catching decent numbers of quality fish year after year. I think many of you are probably fishing your grandfather's old honey holes and such, expecting the same results as the old photographs. Do you think those trophies and full stringers were caught every day? I sure hope you don't. Don't forget that lakes and ponds are AQUATIC ECOSYSTEMS. They aren't static, but rather subject to constant change, and fishing no doubt is a major factor affecting them. Try fishing somewhere else on the lake sometime, go out and look for the fish you want. You may be surprised at what you'll find. Well, I'm done pissing into the wind on the internet and trying to change the world with a few keystrokes, time to go fish for brook trout in Norton Pond...  ::)
Magog  is far from a hole in the wall pond.....

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline vtmopar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 08, 2013, 06:46 PM »
Where is this thread going?
I'm confused its the states fault you cannot catch
Walleye's?
Difficult to catch is what I enjoy the most out of fishing for them.
I think fishing in vermont is great.
I think the state does a damn good job managing it.
That's just my opinion.
this used to be a friendly forum.........

Offline grampieshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 08, 2013, 06:59 PM »
i happen to like the fishing in this state. can't comment on the walleye thing, there are none around my area and it doesn't bother me a bit, i just fish to fish and i have fun doing it!
Yup :icefish:
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work

Offline DyingBreed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DYING BREED
« Reply #20 on: Jan 08, 2013, 07:04 PM »
  I too enjoy fishing for the elusive Mr. Walleye ..... not sure what happened to Maygog/champlain eyes ? They are surely missed by many. Loss of spawning grounds , structure change , water temps. .... spills/leaks ?????? I also agree that TO MUCH of sportsmans dollars are spent on put and take trout. Yet at the same time I realize the revenue they produce. Our waters could definitely use more monies allotted to RESTOREMENT efforts. Now our streams around here (sth Vt. ) are junk from massive floods..... and my grandkids fishing future ...??????
  MY #1 peeve is ... ACCESS ACCESS ACCESS ACCESS. Whether it be for hunting or fishing ! If I pay for a cow I darn sure better have ACCESS to the milk !  .... Enjoy ... I'll leave the light on for ya !   
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy !  Fish on, gotta go ..........!!!

Offline vtpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 08, 2013, 08:59 PM »
I have no idea why there aren't any walleye left....My grandfather and his 12 brothers used to catch 100 lbs each per weekend day!!! Seems the state must be doing a bad job managing the walleye!!!

Offline fishnmachine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 08, 2013, 09:50 PM »
Waaaaaah.....   :'(   :'(   :'(  They're not known as "The Elusive Walleye" because they're easy...
 :tipup:
                           One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.

Offline troutslayer 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • big ray
« Reply #23 on: Jan 08, 2013, 11:23 PM »
i think the point he was making is the state takes more than they put back ... and i also agree we need habit along our rivers they keep eroding the trees and the shade and the water temps in the spawning rivers are rising ....  and addition to magog every dead pike is a good pike good day!
aka half rack 23 willoughby

Offline jonny jigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 09, 2013, 02:07 AM »
tench    i fished magog since the early70s  there were pike in it then i know we caught them wallie is a good fishery fish these big lakes should have them the diffrent is no body ice fish back then much because alot of people were to lazy to walk or it was to hard to much work and to cold to do it  for them

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 09, 2013, 06:44 AM »
One thing you need to keep in mind when you see the license fees go up guys, is that the overall number of license sales is decreasing.  Don't have as many people paying in, you need to raise fees.  I base that mostly on hunting license sales, b/c i don't know what fishing license sales are doing.
As far as Champlain Walleyes is concerned, it is my understanding that since we have Alewifes, they may be making the walleyes sterile.  I believe the state is testing this, but haven't confirmed.  It is of a concern to Salmon and Lakers as well.  Not sure Salmon reproduce in Champlain anyways?  If that turns out to be true, I would think that would be part of why they have been on the decline. 

Offline drinkwater

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 09, 2013, 08:07 AM »
I caught a beautiful 7.5# walleye a few years ago in a local pond that (isn't supposed to have walleye) I was fishing for Jumbo Perch with minnows on tip-ups.  we catch allot of bass (and release them) there always fun!  There's never anyone ever there....  This year... If we get some REAL ice.  Id like to try it at night!  I haven't been there in a few years...or ever since they changed the bait law.  because i didn't want to drive to the next town for certified bait! 
       But this year.... With my jewelry repair shop trucking along, I can't fish day's......So im very excited!  even if it isn't any good, it'll be very enjoyable just being out, with the lanterns lit, peaceful.

Offline TroutWhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 09, 2013, 09:24 AM »
I read people's rants against VT F&W (re: hunting and fishing) occasionally and can only think that these people are the ones that just can't quite figure out how to consistently catch fish or how to consistently get a deer. 

Believe me, there are plenty of anglers in Vermont that go out and catch quality fish on a regular basis.

Incompetence is no reason to start blaming Fish and Wildlife. 

I appreciate what they do and how they advocate for sportsmen and women.
2GUYZ FISHING

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 09, 2013, 09:41 AM »
tench    i fished magog since the early70s  there were pike in it then i know we caught them wallie is a good fishery fish these big lakes should have them the diffrent is no body ice fish back then much because alot of people were to lazy to walk or it was to hard to much work and to cold to do it  for them

Walleyes may be a good "fishery fish" in bodies of water where they are native. (At one time carp were considered a good fishery fish and were introduced into many rivers and lakes in the United States.) Bucket biology has no place in natural resource management. Organized stocking efforts to reinstate NATIVE populations do however. These actions TODAY have to take into account the condition of the ecosystem TODAY though. Overfishing in past years is the problem that we are dealing with today. Lets not be so short sighted as to give the next generation an even more crippled fishery...
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline bradroy55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 09, 2013, 11:48 AM »
Bucket biology has no place in natural resource management. Organized stocking efforts to reinstate NATIVE populations do however. These actions TODAY have to take into account the condition of the ecosystem TODAY though. Overfishing in past years is the problem that we are dealing with today. Lets not be so short sighted as to give the next generation an even more crippled fishery...

Thank you beyond belief for summing up what I couldn't with the phrase "Bucket Biology!" :clap: :thumbsup:

I hope you don't mind if I use that now in response to peoples knee-jerk reactions to a few bad days on the Water or Ice, or in the woods for that matter! I think a lot of us are sick of hearing guys complain about the people working to maintain, restore, and preserve the amazing fisheries we have in this state based on science, not assumptions, just because they are not catching fish as big as the ones in their grandaddy's fish stories...  There is a reason we are continuously breaking all time records for fish sizes in this state!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.