The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice Fishing Etiquette?  (Read 9883 times)

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ice Fishing Etiquette?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 20, 2012, 06:27 PM »
I ice fish every day and am used to be alone or with crowds. Fishing etiquette means to me that a person respects others out there. Driving a wheeler or pulling a sled up to a person fishing in shallow water without snow cover is just plain rude. I often fish flat fish (sunnies, gills and crappie) and crowds are a way of life for most of us. Almost everyone I fish with respects each other. I only fish one hole at a time and if someone else hops into one I just left I don’t care. It is only fishing regardless whether you sell the catch or clean and eat it. Some people get way too serious about what they perceive to be their turf. If someone wants to fish close to someone they don’t know they should ask if it is alright.  I always say no problem and often offer up a few of the holes I cut. Some people are the ones who find the fish and others follow and get to enjoy the harvest. To think that someone should stay 50 yards away from another fisherman is wrong since we all own the water since it is a public trust.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline Quackslapper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Feb 20, 2012, 06:53 PM »
Im thinking this is a case of bad manners. Instead of these fellas taking the position that it's public property they should ask if you would mind some company. Yes obviously we all share the lake. But sharing means compromising. And sometimes sharing means you have to wait your turn. Kinda like being in a public restroom. If I go into a stall and someone is dropping a dookie Im not going to try to pee with him sitting there. Obviously not quite the same but you get my meaning. People should respect each others space a little. How much space depends on the individual. But common sense should say not to be using someone elses hole without at least asking if it is ok... Just my 2 cents...

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #32 on: Feb 20, 2012, 07:21 PM »
Im thinking this is a case of bad manners. Instead of these fellas taking the position that it's public property they should ask if you would mind some company. Yes obviously we all share the lake. But sharing means compromising. And sometimes sharing means you have to wait your turn. Kinda like being in a public restroom. If I go into a stall and someone is dropping a dookie Im not going to try to pee with him sitting there. Obviously not quite the same but you get my meaning. People should respect each others space a little. How much space depends on the individual. But common sense should say not to be using someone elses hole without at least asking if it is ok... Just my 2 cents...
That's funny right there! :laugh:

Offline TroutWhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 20, 2012, 07:26 PM »

You said it very well.  I like meeting new people on the ice.  I don't mind sharing a hot spot. 

The one guy in particular edged up to my hole, glanced at me for split second......turned around.....but his flasher in the hole and sat down.....facing directly away from me.  He never even acknowledged that I was there. 

I'm just saying....most people would have at least said hello, how's it going? Before dropping a line in a hole that was still steaming.
2GUYZ FISHING

Offline Fish Hard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 21, 2012, 03:54 AM »
I agree; give people space and respect and it will go a long way...  drill your own holes or at least ask if it is ok to use someone elses.
 Guys fishing tip-ups generally want more space then jiggers. Big fish are  spooked easily.

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #35 on: Feb 21, 2012, 06:44 AM »
Bring a paintball gun with you and if someone gets too close pepper 'em with paintballs. This will stave off boredom if the fish are not biting and will certainly keep you off the offenders Christmas card list  ;D ;D

Offline TroutWhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 21, 2012, 07:20 AM »
Bring a paintball gun with you and if someone gets too close pepper 'em with paintballs. This will stave off boredom if the fish are not biting and will certainly keep you off the offenders Christmas card list  ;D ;D

I like the way you think!!!   ;D ;D ;D
2GUYZ FISHING

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • When the going is tough. The tough go ice fishing!
« Reply #37 on: Feb 21, 2012, 12:00 PM »
Geez.....why cant everyone just get along.

We fish with a big group all the time and always welcome anyone to fish with us.  None of us really cares who catches what so long as someone gets something.  Its more about sharing experience, techniques and great stories!

The fish move around.....one could fish a spot today and hammer them and the next day it could be quite the opposite.

I realize there are some bad eggs out there, but the majority of those I meet fishing are very decent folks!

Do try to get along......life is too short.
The closest flag up may be the one that is behind you !

Offline TroutWhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 21, 2012, 12:15 PM »
I am fairly passionate about ice fishing.  Just like I am about deer and turkey hunting.  I like to catch fish, and my buddy and I are willing to go the extra mile to find and catch fish.   I've never met somebody that fishes that said they don't want to catch fish.  The way it happened Sunday was unique. A huge bay, and very few people fishing.  2 guys off by themselves catching fish.....and all of the sudden a clan shows up.  I guarantee if my buddy didn't do what he did, they would have fished their way between us and ended up on all sides. 

There is no law that says you can't barge your way to the front of the checkout line at the grocery, but that doesn't mean it's ok to do it.
2GUYZ FISHING

Offline TroutWhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 21, 2012, 03:23 PM »
It's tough and all about what you are fishing and where you are fishing. I maintain no one ever owns the water and tip up fishing some distance is needed. However, I let jig fisherman come in and fish around my tackles and in old holes I may have moved from and I have no issue. Some people are going to crowd, some won't. I think it's best not to ruin a day over whether someone came close to a spot you had or not. you are never the only one who knows about a spot, and no one owns the water. I fished a derby this last weekend and the ice was literally covered with tipups, it's just how it was. I had a great day, even though some people fished close.

You are right.....and we didn't let it ruin our day.  Eventually most of them left, so for the rest of the afternoon.....we had some peace and quiet.  We went to this spot because it wasn't crowded.  We didn't want to fish elbow to elbow like some spots can get.  It was just a bummer when the army started invading......just as we were getting warmed up and on the fish.
2GUYZ FISHING

Offline bradroy55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 21, 2012, 04:03 PM »
reminds me of a time on dillenbeck, we showed up around 7 or so as i recall, since we are coming from waterbury and its well over an hour to get there. anyways, the place is packed so we find an open spot and start to drill for our modest tip up spread. while drilling a good ways from someone else, maybe 30 yards, someone yells "why dont you just use out holes!" Really? come on guys, if its shoulder to shoulder, its not like a few more tip ups are going to keep you from catching fish. The problem i find is all too often, the guys who complain about you fishing too close to them are the first ones to butt right up against someone else! no different in the summer with guys who think they own the lake

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Feb 21, 2012, 06:45 PM »
Totally. Some people are rude, no matter if it's on the ice or off the ice...and we all know the type.
Heck, I've complained in another forum about how fishing from shore and the guys in the bass boats had the nerve to mosy on up right next to me and cast over my lines when they saw me & my kid pull in 3 smallies in a row that were 4# or better.
Not to mention the guy that ran his boat right over my lines with his boat.
Some people are rude and none of us can help them, heck they probably can't help themselves. We're suppose to be kind to those that offend us, and I know it's hard, even for me sometimes.
It might make us mad when someone is that rude to drop line right in a freshly drilled hole you make, but everyone knows the saying...you reap what you harvest...
If that guy did that to you, guess someday someone even more rude than he was to you will do something even more despicable to them.
Just sayin'...

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Feb 22, 2012, 05:34 AM »
The timing of this is funny but yesterday on a popular sunnie spot where almost everyone knows each other and has fished it for years and always embraces strangers I saw some of what is being talked about. Most of the time when people come out they open a bunch of holes in the beginning and then again as the day progresses if new holes are needed. Everyone skips from spot to spot but often have a pattern of holes they work as long as the bite is holding up. We all respect that and generally there isn't any problem. Yesterday a person who isn't part of the group came extra out early and set up his sled, auger and a couple of buckets on all 4 sides of a popular snow pack. The fishrmen I know who got there next said hello to him and he wouldn't even answer. It was apparent he didn't want anyone to fish "his spot" which is strange since the group there has been fishing that spot all year when we are in that particular bay. I am not talking about a small area. He cordonned off the entire snow pack about  50' wide by almost 75 long. The local fishermen just cut around the marked off area and didn't cross his barrier. He wouldn't talk with anyone when engaged and just sat there with his head down fishing. Had any of our guys been on that pack and were pulling they would have welcomed him in. I can safely say that won't happen to this obvious non team person. Too bad but being that way he is missing out on a lot of fun. Once again people get way too serious about fish.

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Feb 22, 2012, 06:02 AM »
Just something to think about when fishing Champlain, alot of these guys are fishing for a living, fishing to put food on the table for their family.  I usually don't care if somebody fishes my holes as long as they ask, as a matter of fact I usually ask them!
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline raate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 22, 2012, 10:41 AM »
The timing of this is funny but yesterday on a popular sunnie spot where almost everyone knows each other and has fished it for years and always embraces strangers I saw some of what is being talked about. Most of the time when people come out they open a bunch of holes in the beginning and then again as the day progresses if new holes are needed. Everyone skips from spot to spot but often have a pattern of holes they work as long as the bite is holding up. We all respect that and generally there isn't any problem. Yesterday a person who isn't part of the group came extra out early and set up his sled, auger and a couple of buckets on all 4 sides of a popular snow pack. The fishrmen I know who got there next said hello to him and he wouldn't even answer. It was apparent he didn't want anyone to fish "his spot" which is strange since the group there has been fishing that spot all year when we are in that particular bay. I am not talking about a small area. He cordonned off the entire snow pack about  50' wide by almost 75 long. The local fishermen just cut around the marked off area and didn't cross his barrier. He wouldn't talk with anyone when engaged and just sat there with his head down fishing. Had any of our guys been on that pack and were pulling they would have welcomed him in. I can safely say that won't happen to this obvious non team person. Too bad but being that way he is missing out on a lot of fun. Once again people get way too serious about fish.
;D :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

I see this happen all the time! Usually these guys were fishing near there yesterday...saw the "group" pulling fish on "that spot" ..and since they can't catch a fish anyway..they figure THE SPOT is the secret... ;D ::) :wacko:

So what they do is get up extra early...set up a barrier all around where the group was the day before, and guard it with a vengeance!  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

With an attitude of..."I WAS HERE FIRST"  "THIS IS MY SPOT" "ALL YOU PEOPLE ARE JERKS FOR CROWDING ME" "You should stay 50 yards away from me"   ::) ::) ::) ::)

Meanwhile...the people who fish all the time move around this type of guy pulling fish, having fun, enjoying the day.....AND ALL THE GUY CAN DO IS WATCH.....because it really doesn't matter where this type of guy fishes...HE CAN'T CATCH!   and most likely never will if he doesn't make some friends that ice fish, learn to enjoy the crowd of his peers, and eventually relax enough to learn why everyone else is filling a bucket and all he can do is watch..... ;)

Offline PerchSlayer67

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "It's a big one guys!"
« Reply #45 on: Feb 22, 2012, 10:53 AM »
Yeah I agree 100% on this.. I hate when people do that. A few buddies and I also woke up at 3:30 on sunday morning to fish a 40 acre pond that we fished the sunday before and hammered the perch. We wanted to be the first ones there. Although the fish didn't start biting till sunlight it was still worth getting up early. These guys came at 8 a.m. and all 4 of them were like 30-50 feet away from us! they were pissing me off! This place had tons of perch , but small to.. and it really ticked me off that THEY KEPT EVERY FISH THEY CAUGHT! 5-6 I MEAN FOR REAL?! Its people like those guys that fish these places out.. i caught probably 150 fish sunday at this pond and kept 23.. only kept the 8.5-9 inchers...
"Ice is on the lake so we're going Fishin!"

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Feb 22, 2012, 11:46 AM »
;D :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

I see this happen all the time! Usually these guys were fishing near there yesterday...saw the "group" pulling fish on "that spot" ..and since they can't catch a fish anyway..they figure THE SPOT is the secret... ;D ::) :wacko:

So what they do is get up extra early...set up a barrier all around where the group was the day before, and guard it with a vengeance!  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

With an attitude of..."I WAS HERE FIRST"  "THIS IS MY SPOT" "ALL YOU PEOPLE ARE JERKS FOR CROWDING ME" "You should stay 50 yards away from me"   ::) ::) ::) ::)

Meanwhile...the people who fish all the time move around this type of guy pulling fish, having fun, enjoying the day.....AND ALL THE GUY CAN DO IS WATCH.....because it really doesn't matter where this type of guy fishes...HE CAN'T CATCH!   and most likely never will if he doesn't make some friends that ice fish, learn to enjoy the crowd of his peers, and eventually relax enough to learn why everyone else is filling a bucket and all he can do is watch..... ;)
Just to play devils advocate, I usually see this the other way around, guys that know how to catch fish are usually on fish, and those that don't have a clue are the ones moving in on the one that do, kinda like people lurking on sites like this. :o
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline raate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 22, 2012, 01:03 PM »
Just to play devils advocate, I usually see this the other way around, guys that know how to catch fish are usually on fish, and those that don't have a clue are the ones moving in on the one that do, kinda like people lurking on sites like this. :o
But guys who catch fish are on fish and CATCHING fish, and could care less if someone struggling moves in on them! We are going to limit out, go home and fillet, lurk a little, then change species and lakes and go back out catching again!  ;) But tommorrow comes and "the spot' from yesterday is barricaded off by the guy struggling....because he got there first, and it's HIS SPOT NOW.... ::) no problem...I can catch fish in his old area anyway...or not, then I'm off to a different spot, different lake, different species..different crowd!    ;D That crowd has a guy like the last crowd also.... ::)  My spot, My fish.You are crowding me....blah blah blah.... ;D

Some people are just this way?  @)

When/if they bother me...I just leave..AND GO FISHING!  ;D

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Feb 22, 2012, 02:13 PM »
Thats the right attitude to have! @)
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Feb 22, 2012, 03:23 PM »
Right on Raate. That is the way most of us think.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Feb 23, 2012, 04:50 AM »
Mass. is on holiday and they are used to elbow to elbow fishing-normal day for them.

Offline CrappieVermonter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Feb 23, 2012, 06:05 AM »
I was on  bomo one day and having a tuff time catching fish so i got ready to leave when a guy who saw I was having a no luck day called me over and told me to fish one of his holes he just caught a nice perch out of I remember that kind of stuff but I would never go over and just start fishing a hole some one else drilled at lest make your one.

Offline tracker one

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if you ain't gonna eat em,throw em back
« Reply #52 on: Feb 23, 2012, 01:54 PM »
don't feel bad,I had a guy mad at me for fishing his holes on Bomo that he made the day before I got there.I   got there at 2PM and he didn't show till 4PM but I guess I shoulda known he was coming,I didn't see his deed to that part of the lake.I'm sorry ,but that's going too far,he wasn't even there,and there were no tips ups there either.  ???

Offline raate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Feb 23, 2012, 07:41 PM »
don't feel bad,I had a guy mad at me for fishing his holes on Bomo that he made the day before I got there.I   got there at 2PM and he didn't show till 4PM but I guess I shoulda known he was coming,I didn't see his deed to that part of the lake.I'm sorry ,but that's going too far,he wasn't even there,and there were no tips ups there either.  ???
yup, been there..learned that lesson... ::) Now I always just drill my own new hole. and let the other hole have his old ones !

Offline vtwaterfowler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Feb 24, 2012, 09:53 AM »
haha, this happens all four seasons of the year. kinda ticks me off too, but theres not much you can do about besides be polite and deal with it if you ask and they dont move. The same thing happens in duck season on the lake. One person gets there early and another party gets there 5 minutes before shooting time and sets up up 50 yards away. Its just far enough that both of you will be fighting over the same birds and both parties end up having a crappy morning  :%$#!:
Black tip up line is hard to see both during the day and the night... Plan accordingly!

IF IT FLIES IT DIES! IF IT RUNS ITS GUNNED!

Offline walking on water

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Feb 24, 2012, 08:28 PM »
I agree with you trout whisperer, the other guys that disagree are probably from n.y. anyways does that tell you anything, go to dillinback and check license plates oh that's right there's no fish in n.y.!!!!!

Offline TroutWhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Feb 25, 2012, 07:28 PM »
I agree with you trout whisperer, the other guys that disagree are probably from n.y. anyways does that tell you anything, go to dillinback and check license plates oh that's right there's no fish in n.y.!!!!!
;D ;D ;D
2GUYZ FISHING

Offline seayaknh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Feb 25, 2012, 07:45 PM »
While it is irritating to some degree when people get too close  (i think 25 yards away is fine), the lake is open to everyone and none of us have any exclusivity to any space on it.  I personally believe there are enough fish in Lake Champlain for everyone to catch some.  I always talk to the people around me, share information and offer help if they ask. (i'm not shy about asking for tips and help)

There are benefits to fishing in groups.....fish hang in the area because of the available bait!

Offline iceman55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Feb 26, 2012, 06:50 AM »
Well I've been fishing for 45 yrs. seen it all. I fish to eat so when I spend my hard earned money on gas and bait i like to catch something. I usually get there before light and head to a spot where I know alot of people don't fish or too far to get there lazy ass out there, some times a mile from the parking lot then after getting set up have 3 guys on a 4 wheeler ride right up to me.Not another fisherman in sight and start setting up 50 yards from me and this is not no special spot. That's what I call rude, I respect other fisherman and would NEVER set right next to them unless it was smelt grounds and alot of other people. I tipup fish most of the time so I try to keep my distance I'll tolerate a few jiggers but more then that I WILL LET YOU KNOW and from that point on it won't be pleasant for you and me for the rest of the day, so if you are the guy fishing the hole I just drilled plan on getting wet when I fire up that 10 in. auger 6 in. from your foot and if that don't work they may need the rescue squad because if I'm not catching fish I get bored real quick. Back to the guys on the 4 wheeler I hollered over and asked them if they wanted to use my holes not a sound, come to find out I knew them lmao but that don't make it right. PS. this year I've seen more fisherman keep there distance then ever I respect that and I would invite them to fish with me anytime.

Offline raate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Feb 26, 2012, 06:40 PM »
Well I've been fishing for 45 yrs. seen it all. I fish to eat so when I spend my hard earned money on gas and bait i like to catch something. I usually get there before light and head to a spot where I know alot of people don't fish or too far to get there lazy ass out there, some times a mile from the parking lot then after getting set up have 3 guys on a 4 wheeler ride right up to me.Not another fisherman in sight and start setting up 50 yards from me and this is not no special spot. That's what I call rude, I respect other fisherman and would NEVER set right next to them unless it was smelt grounds and alot of other people. I tipup fish most of the time so I try to keep my distance I'll tolerate a few jiggers but more then that I WILL LET YOU KNOW and from that point on it won't be pleasant for you and me for the rest of the day, so if you are the guy fishing the hole I just drilled plan on getting wet when I fire up that 10 in. auger 6 in. from your foot and if that don't work they may need the rescue squad because if I'm not catching fish I get bored real quick. Back to the guys on the 4 wheeler I hollered over and asked them if they wanted to use my holes not a sound, come to find out I knew them lmao but that don't make it right. PS. this year I've seen more fisherman keep there distance then ever I respect that and I would invite them to fish with me anytime.
;D It sounds like ice fishing will be a MUCH FRIENDLIER SPORT 20 years from now when all you grumpy ole'timers who yell at your own friends...are no longer able to go out there?  ;D ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.