The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: killing northans  (Read 7537 times)

Offline DyingBreed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DYING BREED
Re: killing northans
« Reply #60 on: Feb 18, 2010, 09:57 AM »
On the conn. river here it went from no regs. to 1 fish 28in. Which is about the size we have always kept for an eater occasionaly. Nice filetes at this point, 5-7 lb. fish. There are some NICE pike out there now. But what a stink from some when it was implemented as a reg. and that's what makes this a great country..........The right to assemble peaseably..... and fish!
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy !  Fish on, gotta go ..........!!!

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Feb 18, 2010, 10:06 AM »
o jesus k....now u come off as understanding, dont give that misperception to the public

He has been watching OPRAH all week.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline BUSTERLINES

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Feb 18, 2010, 10:19 AM »
Keep the med's and let the big ones (10+) go!!!

Offline whitetail05401

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Feb 18, 2010, 10:25 AM »
I have not caught many over 10+ but from what I have heard the bigger they get they dont taste as well. Im really surprized with all the chat on this topic. Most of what I hear is noboby likes to eat Pike. My kid loves them and I do also. But I have not caught one keeper yet this year.Only been out once for them this year. Got  a bunch 12 to 15".....jim s

Offline DyingBreed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DYING BREED
« Reply #64 on: Feb 18, 2010, 03:03 PM »
Great info.! Thanks.
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy !  Fish on, gotta go ..........!!!

Offline Augen4Hawgs

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ICE MAN FOREVER !
« Reply #65 on: Feb 18, 2010, 07:42 PM »
Great info! Thanks....I love to fish for the big ones 18+.Too !also Have returned many over 16lbs-22lbs....Do not like eating them! State should be able to help on this topic without $$$$$$$$$..I will always put the big ones back. But I do need one for the wall. :)

Offline Vt Piker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Feb 18, 2010, 09:04 PM »
 Ok, I have to do it...hit a nerve...what is to be done about the "Bassholes", professional or wannabees, that cut the gills on a nice pike just because it hit their lure and cut into their bass fishing time? I've seen it with my own eyes. It's disgusting.
 I'm sure that there are plenty of bass fisherman that are going to read me the riot act, but you would not believe the behavior of these cretons. >:( >:(
<br />img

Offline joe_vt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Feb 19, 2010, 09:34 AM »
I got seriously yelled at for putting a big bowfin back down the hole a few years ago in Macomb Bay.  Funny side story:  The bowfin came out of an 8" hole without too much trouble but it must have sucked air or something because it got wedged with its back half sticking out of the hole when we released it and sat there for a couple of minutes before finally dropping back in. 

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • When the going is tough. The tough go ice fishing!
« Reply #68 on: Feb 19, 2010, 11:43 AM »
I hate to say it but sometimes I feel like a freakin warden doing self policeing......remindi ng "fisherman" to clean up their own crap and reminding them of size limits, etc. 

Seems almost everytime I go out I bring back an extra bag of someone else's trash.

I see it sooner than later all the good fishing spots will get posted due to this kind of behavior.

One guy can make a large group look bad.
The closest flag up may be the one that is behind you !

Offline jf5

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #69 on: Feb 19, 2010, 12:18 PM »
Wouldn't a slot system like carmi has for walleye allow folks to keep the good eating fish, make sure some breeders stay in the lake, and limit the amount of hogs kept while still letting guys take home that one trophy here and there to mount?

Not that I diasagree with a slot limit on pike.

But slot limits for walleye like at Carmi are usually set to allow guys to keep some of the smaller growing males while trying to keep some the larger breeding females over 20" protected.

Its not a trophy type regulation. Just a friendly FYI  ;D

Offline optimusfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Feb 19, 2010, 02:22 PM »
Not that I diasagree with a slot limit on pike.

But slot limits for walleye like at Carmi are usually set to allow guys to keep some of the smaller growing males while trying to keep some the larger breeding females over 20" protected.

Its not a trophy type regulation. Just a friendly FYI  ;D

I know it's not specifically to create more trophies. I guess I thought it was an attempt at compromise. Let people get eaters because you can keep the smaller fish, protect the overall population because you can't keep that prime breeding size and keep some trophy sizers in the lake to be had because you can only take one of the big boys per day. I honestly don't know a great deal about fish management though, so I don't really know. All I know is I do like to take home some fish to eat, I've never caught anything that would classify as a trophy but would love to, and really want my children to some day be able to enjoy the hobby of fishing.

Offline Weedmaster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Feb 19, 2010, 05:28 PM »
Interesting research study in Minn. But I'm unsure what they meant by productive capacity. Did they mean reproductive capacity? If so that would lead one to  believe the bg older pike are not the most productive breeders."The productive capacity declines rapidly as they get to larger sizes ande older ages". But this topic has all morphed originally from a nice pike that was put back down the hole! His fish his choice!

Offline wilec

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • support our troops
« Reply #72 on: Feb 19, 2010, 07:30 PM »
That's pretty dispickable no doubt but I wouldn't blame it just on bass fishermen.  (and I wouldn't call peple who do this fishermen because it gives the rest of us bad names, just as I dont call losers who poach deer or leave trash behind "hunters").  Waste is waste. You seen guys you say are bass fishermen kill pike.  I've seen perch and crappie guys on the ice do the same thing to both pike and pickerel.  I've seen guys throw ling on teh ice because they look ugly.  I've seen guys fishing catfish on southern Champlain catch a bowfin and bash them over the head with a paddle and throw them back, probably because they don't look so purty either.

There's bad apples everywhere, and unfortunately the rest of the public sees ALL us "fisherman" as beer-swilling rednecks who love to kill, because of the actions of a few cretons, as you put it.

Just because you like to fish for a particular species gives you no right to lay waste to all others that get in your way.  It's our job to put a stop to our peers we seeing doing this, because no one else will stop it.
couldn't have said it better myself!!  god those folks make me sick!

Offline whipplebuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Feb 19, 2010, 07:42 PM »
I agree with the above  don't like it toss then toss the damn thing back in..
OUR BAIT IS GAURENTEED TO CATCH FISH OR DIE TRYING :-)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.