Author Topic: Low voltage?  (Read 1519 times)

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
Low voltage?
« on: Feb 06, 2019, 07:58 AM »
I have a couple different batteries that I use with my Garmin Panoptix. I use a 12v laptop power bank to save weight when I’m moving around a lot. It is rated at 12Ah, and I’ve ran the unit for over 10hrs with a single charge. However, the initial voltage is 11.9 (much lower than my other lithium battery), and steadily drops throughout the day. Last weekend, the unit was reading 10.2V when I got off the ice. There was no degradation in performance, but I’m concerned that running at low voltage can damage the unit? Is there a danger in running a unit at such a low voltage?

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Low voltage?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2019, 08:18 AM »
I have never ran a lithium battery low on my Garmin. But on several occasions I have ran standard lead cell batteries down. If voltage goes low enough the unit shuts itself off. I have observed no affect on units to date.

This has happened once on my ice fishing unit. Maybe 3 times on my boat units. When your unit starts to display low voltage it may be in error. I have measured mine with a multi-meter. Some are spot on and others tend to be off.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2019, 08:35 AM »
A buddy of mine has the same issue with his garmin using Milwaukee Fuel batteries to power it. Always reads around 11V but works fine and never gets close to running it down.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2019, 08:43 AM »
Don't know what Garmin models you have, but have seen echoMAP Plus 95sv spec's indicating a range of 10-20v input. My echoMAP 75sv must be similar, as it shut down when voltage dropped down to about 9.8v after several outings powered by a Lithium Iron Phosphate jump starter.
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2019, 08:49 AM »
Yep, 10 - 20 vdc on the Echomap units and 10 - 35 vdc on the PS22-TR. Low voltage will just the units down, no harm done. Always use the recommended fuse (usually 2 - 3A) in line on all locator installations to protect against unintentional surges.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.