Author Topic: RIDGID OCTANE 1300 IN/LB HAMMER DRILL. OVERLOAD PROTECTION TEST  (Read 75742 times)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
I've been drilling holes for 3 or 4 people the last couple times out. 15 tip ups each x 3. 45+ holes in one shot, not counting a few paces in between them.
Yeah, I see where some lucky people need a lot of holes. We in Colorado can have 2 holes per person. One is the extra rod stamp for an additional fee.
I guess some states just have a lot more fish than others and that is why you get 15 poles/Tip ups.
<===Lefty===

Offline Iceicemike

• Team IceShanty Regular
I did the drill different on clam plate. The u bolt was hitting the light button, I mounted the finger that hits the trigger on drill on the same slot as the u bolt, which aloud me to bump the drill back just enough to miss the light button. Hits the trigger great. Might help someone, no spacer needed

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
I did the drill different on clam plate. The u bolt was hitting the light button, I mounted the finger that hits the trigger on drill on the same slot as the u bolt, which aloud me to bump the drill back just enough to miss the light button. Hits the trigger great. Might help someone, no spacer needed
yep thats how its done!i could not get anything lined up right with the trigger mech in the other slot like the directions said.

Offline Iceicemike

• Team IceShanty Regular
Then I took a square and made shaft straight up/down best I could before tightening bolts.

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
DTro, not sure if you take requests but I'd like to see this same test but with the 8" pistol bit.  And the only other difference should be to switch drills out every 10 holes.  Also do it on like a 0 degree weather day.

I mean I'm sure you have nothing better to do than record yourself drilling holes for a bunch of dudes on the internet.   ::)

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
we haven't gotten any ice yet but I tried the new drill. I have an old 8"jiffy from garage sale, I use for digging post holes and putting in plants in spring.  it did great on that hard old ground.  well, until it twisted the adapter off. lmao.  it was made for 3/8 chuck, so I knew it wouldn't hold the new drill, but had to try.  easy fix to cut it off and mill a new end for the 1/2" chuck.  drilled rite down into the cold wet clay I have here.  im pretty confident it will drill ice like butter. ;D
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
All I can say is WOW!
<===Lefty===

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
DTro, not sure if you take requests but I'd like to see this same test but with the 8" pistol bit.  And the only other difference should be to switch drills out every 10 holes.  Also do it on like a 0 degree weather day.

I mean I'm sure you have nothing better to do than record yourself drilling holes for a bunch of dudes on the internet.   ::)

I gave away my pistol bit to a lucky winner for Christmas on my Facebook page. Otherwise I probably would.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
reading in the manual I noticed a warning.  the batteries mite explode if by an ignition source.  that could be a heater or lantern in a shack real easy!!!!  take note and watch it all.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
reading in the manual I noticed a warning.  the batteries mite explode if by an ignition source.  that could be a heater or lantern in a shack real easy!!!!  take note and watch it all.

Something about lithium can't be in airplanes too.  Like laptops and cell phones and etc.,...   ;D
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
we haven't gotten any ice yet but I tried the new drill. I have an old 8"jiffy from garage sale, I use for digging post holes and putting in plants in spring.  it did great on that hard old ground.  well, until it twisted the adapter off. lmao.  it was made for 3/8 chuck, so I knew it wouldn't hold the new drill, but had to try.  easy fix to cut it off and mill a new end for the 1/2" chuck.  drilled rite down into the cold wet clay I have here.  im pretty confident it will drill ice like butter. ;D
That is a great way to test the drill. Thanks for sharing your findings!
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
I should be wrapping up my Round 2 of testing today. I was hoping to be done yesterday....but the Ridgid won't quit.  LOL

I have learned quite a bit since the first test and I think the results are going to be very interesting, especially compared to the first test. 

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I should be wrapping up my Round 2 of testing today. I was hoping to be done yesterday....but the Ridgid won't quit.  LOL

I have learned quite a bit since the first test and I think the results are going to be very interesting, especially compared to the first test.
  Sweet, can't wait to see the results.  Thanks for sharing with all of us!

Offline Ice Thunder

• IceShanty Rookie
My first post here.

I enjoyed this post so much I too bought a Ridgid and plan to use a spare Strikemaster 8" power bit on it.

One question on the drill itself.

When I slide/snap the 9 amp battery on the drill, there is a 1/8"-1/4" of "front to back play"/looseness of the battery on the drill.

The drill seems to function as it should regardless, the battery stays on and I believe I have installed the battery correctly, because it won't pull off without pressing the releases and it's pretty simple to install.

Is this "play/looseness" normal??

On other cordless drills I own the batteries are all on pretty firm with no play.

ANY feedback, crickets since I posted (with one PM)

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict

I'll check mine when I get home and report back. All my work tools are makita so the ridgid doesnt ride in the van.

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
My octane has a super tight battery fit, actually makes it difficult to get off when attached to the clam plate.  My old ridgid x4 which got a lot of ice and construction time has a decent amount of wiggle with the battery but works fine.

I'll check mine when I get home and report back. All my work tools are makita so the ridgid doesnt ride in the van.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
My first post here.

I enjoyed this post so much I too bought a Ridgid and plan to use a spare Strikemaster 8" power bit on it.

One question on the drill itself.

When I slide/snap the 9 amp battery on the drill, there is a 1/8"-1/4" of "front to back play"/looseness of the battery on the drill.

The drill seems to function as it should regardless, the battery stays on and I believe I have installed the battery correctly, because it won't pull off without pressing the releases and it's pretty simple to install.

Is this "play/looseness" normal??

On other cordless drills I own the batteries are all on pretty firm with no play.
yes you can force it to move about 1/4". it isn't moving freely.

Offline TNT5859

• Team IceShanty Regular
Had a chance to try out the Ridgid Octane today! It cut like a beast.

One concearn I had was I am able to twist the auger forward  and reverse  a little bit. Is this normal?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Had a chance to try out the Ridgid Octane today! It cut like a beast.

One concearn I had was I am able to twist the auger forward  and reverse  a little bit. Is this normal?
mine wasn't like that when I first put it together but after cutting 75 holes it does.might be the drill breaking in?idk it cuts fast!! use the clam plate?that wobble isn't a concern when cutting ice now?cuts so fast I don't even notice a wobble anymore..

Offline Iceicemike

• Team IceShanty Regular
Used mine again today. No cut out. Drilled 4 holes over 12 inch ice. Still full battery 🤓

Offline TNT5859

• Team IceShanty Regular
mine wasn't like that when I first put it together but after cutting 75 holes it does.might be the drill breaking in?idk it cuts fast!! use the clam plate?that wobble isn't a concern when cutting ice now?cuts so fast I don't even notice a wobble anymore..

I don't feel hardly any wobble at all! . It doesn't walk either. All I can say is WOW. This thing is fast!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..

I don't feel hardly any wobble at all! . It doesn't walk either. All I can say is WOW. This thing is fast!
nice.that clam wobble thread had me worried for sure, but I stuck with it till I cut some ice holes just to see what was going to happen.what happened was quick effortless drilling without worrying about a tweaked wrist.lol

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict

Mine has about 3/16 play. Works fine at any position so I'm not going to worry about it.

It also has a little play in the chuck. Has only drilled a handful of holes so far. Our ice is very thin right now. Last year we had 12" at this time.

Offline TNT5859

• Team IceShanty Regular
nice.that clam wobble thread had me worried for sure, but I stuck with it till I cut some ice holes just to see what was going to happen.what happened was quick effortless drilling without worrying about a tweaked wrist.lol

Same here. I think I even started that thread!! I found out today, nothing to be worried about!!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Same here. I think I even started that thread!! I found out today, nothing to be worried about!!
yep you started that thread.had me worried, think we bought the same setup around the same time..lol

Offline atcman42

• IceShanty Rookie
got the octane and a new nils 8".  first time out with it, drilled 12 holes in a line 10" of ice, no plate. put the drill in my sled and it sat in the cold for 6 hours. battery was full when I got to my truck. no issues to report.

Offline Cjnstorm

• IceShanty Rookie
The battery on mine does slide back and forth a little bit, i saw a YouTube video of one guy using his octane and the battery kept falling off while drilling into ice, any one have that problem

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
Well, I've spent most of the week doing a rematch between the Ridgid and the DeWalt.  The Ridgid showed up to battle this time. :) 
&feature=youtu.be

Offline Ice Thunder

• IceShanty Rookie
Awesome test!!

And thanks for the feedback on the battery looseness/play.  ;)

Offline TNT5859

• Team IceShanty Regular
yep you started that thread.had me worried, think we bought the same setup around the same time..lol

I think we did. First outing and I couldn't be happier. It took a little getting used to and I drilled about 15 holes through about 6 inches of ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.