The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Upper Red Turkey Day Weekend  (Read 1860 times)

Offline ElectricSlide19

• Team IceShanty Regular
Upper Red Turkey Day Weekend
« on: Nov 08, 2017, 02:41 PM »
Hello all, looking for some advice on Upper Red early ice. Looks like it will be good to go on Turkey Day Weekend. My question is that I unfortunately only have the Nike express for transportation (I do have all of my on gear). Can I get to first ice spots within reason by walking? Also, As far as decent places to stay on the cheaper side, are there any hotels in the area besides the resorts? Looking for about $100 a night for a room, or is that wishful thinking? Appreciate any and all advise. Thanks!

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Upper Red Turkey Day Weekend
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2017, 03:14 PM »
Upper red has a very gradual decline to get out to fishable water, I haven't heard of people walking out before. Should be an easy walk without much snow if you're willing to hoof it 2-3 miles though.

Northome might be your best bet for a hotel. I've never looked into them but I'm pretty sure there are a couple hotels there that don't look too fancy, I'd imagine they'd be in your price range. I'm not aware of any in Kelliher or Wakish so it'd be a 20 mileish drive to UR...
Da Pack!

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2017, 04:04 PM »
I've never fished red, but for what its worth first ice is a big thing up there especially walking out until wheelers are allowed. Rodgers on Red has been putting reports up everyday on Facebook. They are hoping early next week parts will be walkable. Looks like almost all of upper is locked up already, bad wind could change that though.  Give a resort a call a head of time or stop in and they should give you a tip on depths.
http://rogersonred.com/fishing-reports/

Blackduck is south of Red and has two hotels.

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2017, 04:58 PM »
I've never fished red, but for what its worth first ice is a big thing up there especially walking out until wheelers are allowed. Rodgers on Red has been putting reports up everyday on Facebook. They are hoping early next week parts will be walkable. Looks like almost all of upper is locked up already, bad wind could change that though.  Give a resort a call a head of time or stop in and they should give you a tip on depths.
http://rogersonred.com/fishing-reports/

Blackduck is south of Red and has two hotels.

Wow! Just posted a new update. 4" at the first break and will be letting people walk out Friday morning

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2017, 06:23 PM »
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g42877-d1529357-Reviews-Drake_Motel-Blackduck_Minnesota.html

I have stayed here a few times. Nothing fancy, but clean, warm, and a decent fish cleaning room.

WS

Offline ratjar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2017, 06:56 PM »
Royal Shooks Motel is pretty good. We stay there every year its like 20 min drive to JRs on the south side. We usually have 4 guys and they charge $50/person/night.

Offline greenbulldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 10, 2017, 08:01 AM »
I second Royal Shooks, its not the closest hotel to red but closer than northome or black duck. 

Offline waldo9190

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 10, 2017, 09:46 AM »
Here is another vote for the Royal Shooks.  Nothing fancy by any means, but it will definitely get the job done.  Also, plenty of people walk out on Red during early ice, and you don't have to walk out 2-3 miles by any means!  However, this year will be a little interesting as the lake is about 2 ft. lower than it has been historically, so you may need to walk out a little farther than normal.  Half mile-mile.

Offline Ethan C

• IceShanty Rookie
  • We need some ice!!!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 10, 2017, 07:40 PM »
Leave from Jr's corner, nice guys there and they keep track of ice conditions, look up their facebook page, daily updates on the ice and fishing reports. You don't need to walk very far from there, half mile at most 7-10 feet of water is just fine, especially during early ice. Use a spoon with a minnow head along with a live fathead on a deadstick. Nice numbers there, should be a good bite. Most years during early ice the water clarity is garbage, the sediment needs to settle. But this year it's pretty good, fished today and caught two 17 inchers and got caught on the wrong side of a 50ft crack. Hope this helps
Where's the ice bro?

Offline Timbo147

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 13, 2017, 08:06 PM »
You can definitely get to fishable spots by walking.   Especially if there isn't much snow.  I know that Beacon Harbor on the north end of the lake has rooms for about 80 dollars and I think that includes their road pass also.

Offline ElectricSlide19

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 15, 2017, 01:23 PM »
Thank you for all the help! Hopefully we can get up there In a week. It isn't true what they say about you MN guys  ;)

Offline BeenShanty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 21, 2017, 09:54 AM »
Little Jealous you get to go on Turkey Day weekend.  Guessing it'll be busy and hard to find reservations.  We usually cot on the ice in portables..  I'll be up the following weekend.  Shouldn't be a bad pull outta the launch with the lack of snow.  Looks windy and rainy on Friday though; 40's.  Good luck out there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.