The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Looking for useable ice for a fish house. How far will I have to travel?  (Read 1546 times)

Offline Timmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hi all,

I bought a used single axle fish house and I am itching to get it out on its maiden voyage.  I'm thinking maybe an overnight Saturday into Sunday or getting up super early on Sunday and hitting the road for a day trip.  I mostly want to test things out, make sure I am comfortable and have what I need, etc.  I live north of the Twin Cities in East Bethel.  Any thoughts on how far I might have to go?  Lake suggestions?  Catching fish would of course be nice.  I don't care what species.  It sounds like even Mille Lacs isn't an option yet? 
Timmer
Most of the tools, some of the skills!

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
What are you pulling it out with? Nothing around the metro is drivable current, probably have to go even farther than ML.

After such a promising start, that snow really effed things up and put a big delay on the year
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Offline Timmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
I will use my 1/2 ton given weight concerns.  I have a 1 ton too that is a beast in all conditions but it will have to stay in the shed for now.
Timmer

Offline Timmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Update - Multiple resorts are now providing access on Lake Mille Lacs.  They say the ice is 16-24" thick but recommend only 1/2 ton trucks and single axle wheel houses for now.  They are warning everyone to stay on the plowed resort roads or you will get stuck in the snow slush mix. 

I have been hearing mixed reports on success.  Some are saying they are catching walleyes only at night, one guy said he killed them during the day.  I'm heading there tomorrow and will only be fishing morning through afternoon or early evening.  It's more about testing out the house. 
Timmer

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.