Author Topic: dead waxworms  (Read 12091 times)

MTUStudent

dead waxworms
« on: Jan 26, 2005, 04:35 PM »
I just have a quick question on waxworms.  I was in the baitshop the other day and I was suprised they were selling dead waxworms for bait.  I have always bought them when they have been alive in the past.  Do you think there is any difference is using dead waxworms versus alive ones?

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
Re: dead waxworms
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2005, 05:10 PM »
Main difference is in the actual catching of fish. I have tried this when I was down to only dead ones and never caught a fish on dead waxies. Any more I put on a dead one when beer thirty rolls around (they are still good for something!).
 :D

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

fishtale51

« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2005, 07:20 PM »
when the bite is on, dead or alive will work.  inactive fish will not go for it.  active fish will hit a bottlecap

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2005, 08:05 PM »
I prefer alive. Active ones will hit dead waxies, but less active ones need the live, wriggling action. Waxies shouldn't be refrigerated either, keep them around 50 degrees. When fishing, you should keep them in a warm pocket.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2005, 08:00 PM »
What is the best bottle cap to use? I would think the average fish will go for a Bud Light, but the finicky ones will prefer something a little more aromatic like Beck's or maybe a Munich's Original !!!
 :D  ;D  :D  ;D  ;D  ;D

(sorry - I couldn't just let that one just lay out there!)

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2005, 03:09 PM »
when the bite is on, dead or alive will work.  inactive fish will not go for it.  active fish will hit a bottlecap

EXACTLY!!!! :tipup:

Offline fishslayer37

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2005, 10:24 PM »
I have an Aqua vu and i was catching a bunch of fish than i ran out of alive waxworms so i put on a dead one.  All they did is sit there and watched it, but would eat it.
A good finesse bass fisherman, makes a good walleye fisherman

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2005, 05:37 PM »
Okay, I know I'm eating my own words here but yesterday the only bait working was dead waxies (????). I tried all combinations of red spikes, natural spikes, wax worms, and mousies on different types and colors of jigs. All I could come up with was on this partly cloudy day they were interested in a green / silver combination. But until I put on the dead waxworm (actually getting ready to leave my post for some socializing) that the fish started slamming these things. The Aqua Vu told the whole story up to and including the end of the bite when a pike came cruising along and bit off my rig. That was after about two hours of a steady catch and release frenzy. I'd would have never believed it any other way.

Huge fun!

:tipup:

hali-man

« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2005, 05:41 PM »
I don't know about waxies, but I have caught perch on dead mousies.
That was the day I ran out of bottlecaps.  ;)

gill_muncher

« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2005, 07:16 PM »
Now I heard from an old wise man that if the fish are there but not biting its because you have to much bait and that you have to squeeze the guts out and then put the waxie on.  lol

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2005, 06:30 PM »
Well it's confirmed, yesterday was the second trip in a row that dead waxies were the only thing working. And as on the previous trip they wanted the same pattern of a #12 green & silver jig. Just floors me that I could never buy a bite for top dollar with anything but a fresh, live one before this. Seems like the fish are aquiring new tastes. Regardless, I'll never buy dead wax worms for any price.

Hope this helps some of you.

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2005, 01:19 PM »
when you guys are using dead ones are they brown-black in color? when mine die that's the color they get.
         Jim

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #12 on: Feb 22, 2005, 06:53 PM »
That's pretty much what they look like. There are times when this is what they want. I found out some interesting crap this year since I had more time spent on the ice than normal. The main thing was to "think out of the box". If they're not biting start throwing anything edible or visually appealing at them. The worst that can happen is no change in the bite.

Offline Sax_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 28, 2005, 08:02 PM »
What is the best bottle cap to use? I would think the average fish will go for a Bud Light, but the finicky ones will prefer something a little more aromatic like Beck's or maybe a Munich's Original !!!
 :D  ;D  :D  ;D  ;D  ;D

(sorry - I couldn't just let that one just lay out there!)
there is a guy who makes lures out of bottle caps it was in a outdoor life mag last year and the coors light cap was the most popular
Sax

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2005, 06:52 AM »
I cant remember the name of th ecompany, but I have been buying dead minnows and waxies for the last couple seasons. They are soaked in an alcohol like sollution (like many of my fellow fisherman). They work well, I just hold them in case I run out of live bait, or for when my wife is with me, she hates hooking live bait..so dead bait ensures I dont spend my entire trip baiting her hook

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2005, 04:55 PM »
Soaked in alcohol?
Heck I  might try one on a slow day!!!
 ;D

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 08, 2005, 06:24 PM »
Soaked in alcohol?
Heck I  might try one on a slow day!!!
 ;D

i am on a slow day ;D

Offline Reel Wet Ride

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ft. Myers, Florida!!! WHAT?
« Reply #17 on: Dec 19, 2005, 03:26 PM »
If you put them in hot oil, they puff up like a rice crispy. Kinda taste the same. A little salt and they're not half bad for bait. I didn't really know that there was a debate on live v. dead waxworms. I always put em in my fridge to keep. But the way I see it, all the crawling and moving they are doing when they're warm will stop after about 2 seconds in the water anyway. Plus I always pop em to get the scent out and have the little bits floating around.
Falling through the ice means driving home naked!

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #18 on: Dec 19, 2005, 05:23 PM »
RWR -
Do you always pop them? Does it always work better like this for you? I've always tried to avoid this. Maybe I've been wasting my time. Never paid attention as to whether or not that made a difference.

Offline Reel Wet Ride

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ft. Myers, Florida!!! WHAT?
« Reply #19 on: Dec 20, 2005, 11:21 AM »
Without fail. I'll either squeeze it out with my fingers or I'll use the hook and just poke a lot of holes in the waxie. Same with mousees. I don't even bother using spikes. Just never have. I've found that the fish in the lakes I'm on hardly ever want a really big bait, so this is one way to reduce the profile and make the bait softer. If the fish do seem to want something a little bigger, I opt to change to a tear drop as opposed to doubling up on bait. I guess this is about like guys who use crickets summer fishing. My dad swears by tearing off the backlegs, but I never have. Its just one of those things that gives me confidence.
Falling through the ice means driving home naked!

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 20, 2005, 12:40 PM »
I'm in with Reel Wet Ride & a couple of others, dead waxies work.  I wouldn't kill'em all the time, but when the fish were tight-lipped I'd tear off the waxies little butt, for scent, down sizing the bait and the guts hanging out would give a good action. 

-Grizz

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #21 on: Dec 20, 2005, 04:48 PM »
I will definitely be trying this method.

Thanks!

Offline baboiler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Green Hornet Strikes Again!!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 22, 2005, 04:30 PM »
  I've caught quite a few on dead beemoths. Dead as in brown , once they turn black they don't seem to work for me.
Hail, Hail to Old Purdue, Ever grateful ever true!  Boiler Up!

Offline Spin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 29, 2008, 09:56 AM »
  Tear em up or squish them and sink them down the holes for chum, they will attract fish so yes they are good for something. This goes for waxies, spikes, mousies, and maggots you tear off the hooks when you change to fresh bait. As long as it's legal where you're fishing try it.

Spin

Offline Spin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 02, 2009, 11:27 AM »
  Nice Grizz back East in PA it was common practice on the Delaware and Susquehanna to take a clipper(hellgramite) once it died and slit the skin halfway through behind the collar then poke it in the tail end with a wood match stick or smooth blunt twig turning it inside out. The pulpy insides were a surfire attractor to panfish in the slack water - ells loved em too. I'm supprized I haven't seen any mention of using clippers for bait hardwater fishing. I should mention that there were strict regulations on collection and possession limits of Hellgramites in P.A. One waxie turned inside out might be a bit on the skimpie side but 2 or 3 might really tear em up.

Spin

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.