The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: season dates and rules  (Read 906 times)

Offline franklin fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
season dates and rules
« on: Mar 24, 2015, 06:04 AM »
  Does anyone know how long North Pond in Smithfield/Rome is open for ice fishing?  Is it a southern county pond, or a northern county pond?  I can't find it listed under Somerset nor Kennebec counties.  If it is considered northern county, is it an A pond or a B pond? It is not in the lawbook nor is it online.

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I never met a fish I didn't like.
Re: season dates and rules
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2015, 06:29 AM »
It straddles the Kennebec/Somerset County line.  My bet is that they are putting it under the Southern and Eastern rules.  It's not listed so that would mean it's legal all year for ice or open water fishing.

Offline Fishn'Rod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2015, 06:37 AM »
Jim, that's exactly what I was thinking but it not being listed under Somerset does make it confusing....

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 24, 2015, 06:38 AM »
It straddles the Kennebec/Somerset County line.  My bet is that they are putting it under the Southern and Eastern rules.  It's not listed so that would mean it's legal all year for ice or open water fishing.

Jim C. has it - more liberal laws apply in these cases.  You don't see it specifically named as many of the general law pond aren't, fish to the conditions. @)

Offline hardwater12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2015, 06:40 AM »
Any pond not listed goes under general law, there's really nothing confusing about it.

Offline Fishn'Rod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 24, 2015, 06:46 AM »

For Northern and Western counties, which is where Somerset county falls under the law says

•All lakes and ponds are closed to ice fishing, unless indicated with an A or B code, which defines the winter fishing season.

and it's not listed, that's why it's a little confusing to me.  A simple phone call to IFW could settle the issue.

Offline Resperator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 24, 2015, 07:20 AM »
http://www.maine.gov/ifw/fishing/lakesurvey_maps/

That's actually a very good question.  Looking on the lake survey maps online, North Pond is listed under Kennebec county, even though most of the pond is in Somerset, so I would think the Kennebec county rules would apply.  Call the regional office in Sydney and they should be able to help you out. 

Offline Fishn'Rod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 24, 2015, 07:57 AM »
According to IFW it falls under the Southern and Eastern counties.  Wes said to give him a call if you catch anything remarkable...207-547-5316.

Offline Cool Blue

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Winter Time, Good times!!!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 24, 2015, 09:27 AM »
You can fish til the last safe ice...I fish North all the time right up til the end. Just drilled some holes a couple days ago. About 2 feet of ice maybe a bit more..Just stay away from the outlet or inlet this time of year if your not familiar with the lake. :tipup:

Offline franklin fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 24, 2015, 03:04 PM »
Thanks for all the input. I figured it must be open until it opens up but, I didn't want to make a wrong assumption.

Offline Blue heron

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 24, 2015, 03:35 PM »
Just took a walk on pattees pond better now than it was a week ago. Tomorrow im going fishing😊😥

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.