Author Topic: Hit and Runs?????  (Read 5499 times)

Offline AdkIceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice is Nice
Hit and Runs?????
« on: Dec 25, 2005, 09:01 AM »
I was out fishing an Adirondack Lake yesterday on Christmas Eve and I had no trouble getting my limit of lakers so then I switched to salmon. I had four salmon flags but they all resulted in hit and peel off 15 yards and leave me with a chewed up bait. My set up was a Noreaster Tip UP *lb fluorocarbon leader three feet under the ice with a size 8 gamagatzu octopus hook and a small lead split shot with a small icicle for bait. I was wondering if anyone knew why salmon like to hit and run and anything you can do to limit them from doing this.
AdkIceman
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.   ~Waylon~

Offline PERCH_INC.

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE LITTLE ONES BACK
Re: Hit and Runs?????
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2005, 09:52 AM »
Sounds like thay are feeling some pressure on the line. Are you using a bobber as  a depth marker??
MONSTER PERCH RULE ! !  

Offline AdkIceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice is Nice
« Reply #2 on: Dec 25, 2005, 02:59 PM »
no pressure on the line and i have the tip ups set with no drag and they are very sensitive i am wondering since the lake is full of smelt when they grab the icicle it doesnt taste familiar and they spit it out although i have caught them on icicles there before.
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.   ~Waylon~

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 25, 2005, 06:30 PM »
Its not because its not smelt...they are either feeling resistance, or are just zipping around in normal salmon fashion, slashing whatever bait they find. I think sometimes they just stun the minnows by grabbing them, and aren't particularly interested in eating them. They may just be having fun.

Offline PERCH_INC.

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE LITTLE ONES BACK
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2005, 09:40 AM »
Try some lighter line 2# or 3#!!
MONSTER PERCH RULE ! !  

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2005, 11:24 AM »
If you have one, use a SLAMMER.  I had the same experience last year, lost 3 on hit and runs.  Set up the Slammer and BANG!!  20" salmon.  Cut it open at home and it had 3 whole baits in its belly.  You may still miss a fish if the bait is not all the way in its mouth, but if he takes it good, the hook will be set.
A bent rod is a good rod!

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2005, 05:25 PM »
sometimes when they are peeling off line i put slight pressure on the edge of the reel. i find they swallow the bait faster with less dropping of the bait. its like they think its trying to get away so they hurry and swallow it.

Offline Danderson

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2006, 04:09 PM »
thats interesting cause all ive ever heard is that they drop it with some preassure ???

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2006, 09:10 PM »
i'll stop the line on a run, that works for me.

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline LAKEGEORGEJEFF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2006, 06:15 PM »
Try small trebles.I use 18's and 20's.

CALLING ALL FISH!!!!!!!!!

Offline kismet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2006, 06:20 PM »
the tension the fish feels is from your line cutting into the bottom of your hole the salmon take it so fast that the friction from the line running off the spool cuts a notch in the ice have it happen all the time the only way to stop it is to chip the bottom of your hole with a ice bar so it's belowed

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2006, 09:20 PM »
this season i find the fish are doing this alot. ive tried lighter leader and smaller hooks. smaller bait. nothing works it seems they are just killing it cause its there not because thier hungry. its like they cant help themselves.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.