Author Topic: Snowmobile Auger Rack?  (Read 41443 times)

Offline [email protected]

• Team IceShanty Regular
Snowmobile Auger Rack?
« on: Oct 16, 2009, 01:12 PM »
I'm looking for a auger rack for a snowmobile like the ones on ATVs.  I know snowmobiles don't have bars and that not what I'm asking for.  I want to find one that comes out from the front of the snowmobile.  It mounts on the front of the suspension I think.  I saw one on a TV show once, I think it was Linder's Angling Edge.  If you know where to get one that would be great.  Thanks

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Snowmobile Auger Rack?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 16, 2009, 02:26 PM »
Just about all the one's Ive seen have turned out to be a custom fabricated piece, and most tie into the front bumper/belly pan supports. I'd imagine attaching to the front suspension would beat up the auger pretty bad. One exception I did see was on a newer (2008 - ish) Bearcat Widetrack demo sled, the rack pinned to a few mounts that came up through the air vents in the hood, and I think it combined with a winch/driving light mount on the front. It looked to be a factory Arctic Cat piece, but I can't say for sure.

I'm looking at options for mounting my Jiffy on my Tundra II and was considering the front mount, it wouldn't be too hard to build one, but I think it would either cover my headlight, or block my view. Lots of posts here where guys have built some real sharp rear racks that hold augers and other accessories, seems like the best option if your rear springs can handle the extra weight above the bumper.

Hope that helps.
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Oct 16, 2009, 05:22 PM »
check out mainedogs set up  one of the best Ive seen   do a search on here about snowmobile auger racks and you'll see several!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2009, 07:46 PM »

This is Dave Genz's rig, he was showing it off at last years ice show in St. Paul. Im sure it is the same deal CMMahy is discribing. It is a modular system straight from ardie cat. I will be building something on my "new to me" icefishing snowmobile in the near future.

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 2009, 09:52 PM »
Seeing that sled makes me feel all warm and tingly inside....is that weird? :P
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #5 on: Oct 16, 2009, 11:48 PM »
Here is what I did. It mounts off the front and rear grab bar. I dont have to worry about running over it if it comes loose and end up like this

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #6 on: Oct 17, 2009, 02:08 PM »
Here is what I did. It mounts off the front and rear grab bar. I dont have to worry about running over it if it comes loose and end up like this
(Image removed from quote.)

And let's all hope that you don't touch those open Nils blades, eh.  ;-)
Chris Raymond

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #7 on: Oct 17, 2009, 02:42 PM »
Yah, the cover didnt survive the trip home.  >:( Wish they had a better blade cover for them.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 17, 2009, 03:17 PM »

This is Dave Genz's rig, he was showing it off at last years ice show in St. Paul. Im sure it is the same deal CMMahy is discribing. It is a modular system straight from ardie cat. I will be building something on my "new to me" icefishing snowmobile in the near future.
This is the kind that I'm looking for.  Does anyone know where to get one or if they even sell it?

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 17, 2009, 03:49 PM »

What do you do, Stumper?   Throw a leg over it or ride side saddle?
I bet it makes the left hand turns a bit easier.

MD

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Sunset on Merrymeeting Lake 3/18/09
« Reply #10 on: Oct 17, 2009, 04:00 PM »
Yah, the cover didnt survive the trip home.  >:( Wish they had a better blade cover for them.

Why don't you attach a piece of PVC pipe to the machine than slid the auger down the shaft using it like a holster.
Hosted New England Outdoors New Hampshire Fishing Show 1989 to 1994.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #11 on: Oct 17, 2009, 05:26 PM »
Why don't you attach a piece of PVC pipe to the machine than slid the auger down the shaft using it like a holster.

Hmm, have to look into that!

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #12 on: Oct 17, 2009, 05:41 PM »
What do you do, Stumper?   Throw a leg over it or ride side saddle?
I bet it makes the left hand turns a bit easier.

MD

Just throw a leg over it. Other than DEEP snow I cant hardly tell its there.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Oct 17, 2009, 07:51 PM »
This is the kind that I'm looking for.  Does anyone know where to get one or if they even sell it?

A cat dealer should be able to sell it as an add on to their new machines. To tell you the truth, you could use their idea and fab it up yourself much cheaper. It is made to work on that particular snowmobile, it wont just hook up to anything.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #14 on: Oct 18, 2009, 05:04 AM »
Very true.  Those covers on the 8" drills with the centering bit are absolute junk.  You would think with the amount of money they're getting for their rigs, they could come up with a better cover. However, the one I have on my manual 6" without the centering bit works like a charm.   
Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Oct 18, 2009, 10:27 AM »
I was actually thinking of getting 2 new snowmobiles and I would probably think of this one more if you could buy the mount for the front.  I think I'm going to e-mail Arctic Cat and see if they make them.  I'll post back to see what I find.

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Oct 18, 2009, 10:44 AM »
Here's some pic's of the auger rack I put on my sled, its not as nice as I would have like to build it but I think it should work.

This is the back of the mounting bracket inside the bellypan, its pop-riveted on so I can unbolt the rack for putting on the cover and for bush riding.

I don't plan to use the rack for going very far, or if I ride a trail, I have it more for the searching so I don't have to unload everything off my toboggan just to drill a hole to see if there are fish. So I don't plan to go fast with my auger on the front.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #17 on: Oct 18, 2009, 05:33 PM »
Very true.  Those covers on the 8" drills with the centering bit are absolute junk.  You would think with the amount of money they're getting for their rigs, they could come up with a better cover. However, the one I have on my manual 6" without the centering bit works like a charm.   
Mine was the 6 inch. I just musta not had it hooked well enough.

Offline windbeam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 14, 2009, 05:13 AM »
I saw Dave Genz's rig in on his Northeast tour last year but never got a picture of it. Does anyone have any idea what kind of rack he used to carry his Fish Trap?  If so, is this an option from Artic Cat as well?

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Nov 14, 2009, 01:02 PM »
Here's my auger rack. It also carries my pop up shelter, rods, flasher, bait, chair, small cooler and will even fit my heater and 5# propane tank.   ;D

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 14, 2009, 04:26 PM »
A picture of the rack I built last year in action.

Offline ravinerat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 10, 2009, 02:51 PM »
I looked at putting a front rack system on my sled. I just found there was too much cutting and welding things into place. I decided a rear rack carrier was better for me. I also put it length ways so when going down narrow trails the auger wasn't in the way of trees and such.

The whole rack is removable with three pins. That way it is not permently mounted. This system works well for me. The only mod I may make is make it a bit higher to fit a larger bag under it.

RR
Be safe, Float!

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 10, 2009, 05:40 PM »
Ravinerat, I bet you have a really long trailer to put that sled in. ;)

When building my rack, I had to be careful to limit its height.  I didn't want it poking through my aluminum cover on my trailer.  I was also a little be challenged to get it all to fit length-wise.  That two-up Polaris + its basket + motor shelf (what the flasher is sitting on in the picture).  It all barely fits under the cover now.  I disconnect the auger drive from the bit when traveling a ways on the snowmobile.  Then when I get to where I'm fishing, I leave it connected.
The motor shelf also serves as a flasher shelf as shown in the photo.  I think I am going to cut off the shelf this year and figure out another way to carry the auger motor during long runs.

MD

Offline ravinerat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 10, 2009, 06:37 PM »
The whole  rack comes off with three pins in about 30 sec. My trailer is an open trailer so the length really doesn't mater. I always take it off for trailering. Most of my stuff is in the Fish Trap for transport. Sometime the Vexliar rides on the seat.

RR
Be safe, Float!

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 10, 2009, 06:48 PM »
My Marcum always rides in the truck!

Offline ravinerat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 10, 2009, 06:56 PM »
So do you drive your truck on the ice when you have the sled?

RR
Be safe, Float!

Offline ravinerat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 10, 2009, 07:01 PM »
Here's a few more mounts. Before I built mine I talked to alot of people about theirs.

This one is a Sewer pipe. I tried one but it started to break apart on me.

This one was mounted on a Skidoo Touring. The guy sent me a lot of instructions on how to mount it. I had a Grand Touring at that time.

These next two are custom bumpers put on sleds that were in Cain's Quest. If you want to see a neat race just Google Cain's Quest.

RR
Be safe, Float!

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 10, 2009, 09:51 PM »
So do you drive your truck on the ice when you have the sled?

RR

No, when I trailer my sled....
I put the marcum in one of my buckets on the side of my basket.
The other bucket carries bait.

Offline ravinerat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 12, 2009, 10:15 AM »
sorry, Didn't understand when you said yoru marcum rides on the truck seat. I  though we were talking about ice travel by sled.
Be safe, Float!

Offline tundraman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 01, 2010, 06:07 AM »
I made a mount off the front grad bar of my old 03 tundra that was decent, but i didnt like how it blocked the head light. If you get it up to high it blocks your view. definatly going to build something for the back on my 10 bearcat i just bought
I say its a hobby, my wife says its a sickness!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.