Author Topic: NILS USA (NILS MASTER) Convertable 4"-1/2 hand auger, good to drill 2 holes....  (Read 609 times)

Offline xiaolu

• IceShanty Rookie
I'd like to use my new NILS USA (NILS MASTER) Convertable 4 and a half inch hand auger, connected to a CLAM auger adapter/plate (and yes I do have a custom-made adapter to connect this NILS hand auger to the CLAM plate), and then connected to a MILWAUKEE M18 drill.

Since I mainly ice fish for big fish such as lake trout that are easily over 15lbs each, a 4 and a half inch diameter hole obviously won't cut. Hence my question here to those of you who have used the same NILS auger (see pic below), is this auger easy to drill two or three overlapping holds to make a bigger hole? (as there is no pilot screw or something such on the auger I wonder if the auger is prone to slipping while drilling, that is)...

Thanks in advance

Mostly ice fishing Lake Simcoe in southern Ontario, Canada, for lake trout (lakers), lake whitefish (whities), and jumbo yellow perch:-)

Offline MC_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
One of the main critiques of the Nils is that they are not good for drilling overlapping holes or opening old holes

Your setup would be amazing for run and gun for perch or bluegill, hole hopping and drilling 100+ holes a day. For lakers and other big fish... you'll want to get a different auger, probably at least 6 inch if not 7 or 8

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
You could use that with a Nils Ice Saw and drill 3 holes for a large triangle.

I have done this many times to get a nice big hole for Lake Trout.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline xiaolu

• IceShanty Rookie
Thank you both for the replies and info. Hmmm sounds like I'd like to re-consider my options, then. Thanks again!
Mostly ice fishing Lake Simcoe in southern Ontario, Canada, for lake trout (lakers), lake whitefish (whities), and jumbo yellow perch:-)

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
the design of the nils causes it to bang into the adjacent hole. even a big crack in the ice will bang it to a stop, even the power point nils does this

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.