Author Topic: Strikemasters answer to KDrill and Pistol  (Read 4135 times)

Offline Fishtrekker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Strikemasters answer to KDrill and Pistol
« Reply #30 on: Feb 28, 2019, 09:02 AM »
Both the 6" and 8" have center points on them. They are not as light as the pistol bit but will certainly give whats out there a run for their money.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Mar 02, 2019, 09:51 PM »
I can’t believe the price of these new lightweight bits. I bought my 7” lazer power bit 4 or 5 years ago for around 140 I believe. 200 dollars for this new 8” bit is insane. You can buy a new strikemaster power auger for 3-400 dollars. The bit is now worth as much if not more than the power head?? I like it and I’d love to put it on my power auger for the weight savings but for 200 bones I’ll pass.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #33 on: Mar 02, 2019, 09:53 PM »
At $180, I will have to pass too unfortunately. It's really a shame, I feel like they are gouging us with these new drill augers since they are a "new" thing in the market.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline WolfPack1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Mar 03, 2019, 12:28 PM »
At $180, I will have to pass too unfortunately. It's really a shame, I feel like they are gouging us with these new drill augers since they are a "new" thing in the market.

Agreed. If they’d be closer to $100, I’d bet they’d sell like crazy. It’s interesting to see the low volume-high cost vs. high volume-low cost sales tactics. Seems like everyone will be staying at the $200 mark unfortunately.

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Mar 03, 2019, 12:35 PM »
Agreed. If they’d be closer to $100, I’d bet they’d sell like crazy. It’s interesting to see the low volume-high cost vs. high volume-low cost sales tactics. Seems like everyone will be staying at the $200 mark unfortunately.

The cost of tooling to build a molded product is astronomical.  Pricing a product and paying for the tooling is a balancing act as you indicate.  It is a guessing game as to how long the demand will be there, before the next innovation makes the current product obsolete.  There is no "profit", until the  developing costs are recovered.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #36 on: Mar 03, 2019, 12:35 PM »
Always amazes me how people think the more they ask the better. When they could sell 4 times the amount with a lower price. Happens all the time. I remember when Toyota came out with their first trucks. $1999 "Oh what a Feeling" was the commercial.  Now you can't buy a 25 year old truck for less than $3000.
<===Lefty===

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #37 on: Mar 03, 2019, 12:51 PM »
I like the idea but i will stick with my cheap mora augers that cut fine.a little walking while cutting here and there but at 50$ new i can deal with it.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Mar 03, 2019, 01:25 PM »
If this new auger used Mora blades I'd buy one...

Looks like I'm keeping my $200..

<°)))>{

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Mar 03, 2019, 04:55 PM »
They make plenty of money at 200 a pop and that’s including tooling. IMO 200 is a rip off. The Jason Mitchell thermal shack that retails for 1000 is a prime example. They are crap and not worth that at all. Thorne Bros just had them marked down to 500 dollars. If I bought that shack for a grand, I wouldn’t be happy! The new bits will sell good next year and many will pay full price for them. If I can find a year end deal for em, I’d maybe pick one up. But for now I’ll pass.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Mar 03, 2019, 05:32 PM »
LAZER BLADES-been there, done that. Never again. They dull from being out in the wind I'm convinced.

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Mar 03, 2019, 06:26 PM »
I’m a big proponent of using a simple flat blade shaver bit on a drill....but the Pistol does intrigue me because of the reduction in rotating weight combined with the blade design.

I’ve been around dirt track racing my entire life. I’ve built cars, scaled them, set them up, etc. One area where you can gain a huge advantage is in regards to rotating weight. For every pound of rotating weight you eliminate it is like dropping 10 pounds of dead weight. When we first started focusing on this area by runninglighter rims, hubs, axles, etc. there was a noticeable difference in performance as well as a significant improvement in the longevity of drive train components. Clutch packs were not wearing out as fast, rear end gears lasted longer, and so on. Anyway....in theory the same principle would apply to reducing rotating weight with an auger as it would put less strain on the drill.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.