Author Topic: What kind of Gloves do you prefer?  (Read 2475 times)

Offline FrozenJig

• Team IceShanty Regular
What kind of Gloves do you prefer?
« on: Feb 27, 2019, 08:18 AM »
I use a pair of general neoprene, think I got them a while back at Gander Mountain but probably due for a new pair.  What does everyone recommend?
Look for the beer flag, that's where i'm at

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: What kind of Gloves do you prefer?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2019, 08:26 AM »
Insulated neoprene, I wear them for work also.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2019, 09:11 AM »
https://www.galeton.com/otterback-arctic-reg-insulated-fully-nitrile-coated-gloves/11927-product/

These are the best gloves i've ever used.  they are fully water proof and insulated.  not so much insulation that you can't fish with them. but totally water proof.  i scoop ice out of the hole, i handle fish, they are amazing.   The ones i found were only 20-25 bucks. 

Offline kevs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2019, 11:26 PM »
StrikerIce Insulated, waterproof. They have an extended cuff, are very warm, dry, and not bulky.

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2019, 11:47 PM »
I only wear my gloves/mitts when I'm on the move or its extremely cold, I use simms half finger gloves.

Cabelas pinnacle mitts.
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2019, 12:41 AM »
Fingerless wool. Full-fingered wool when packing up.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Jiggerdoodle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2019, 06:15 AM »
Unless it's below 10 degrees I only use the brown Jersey gloves.  Always have, even when sitting out side without a shanty.

Offline catskills

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2019, 06:22 AM »
I usually wear my northface gloves while walking out but once fishing I have fingerless First Lite wool gloves from archery season that I use.  If below 30 degrees I will bring my muff with a hot hands packet in there.  Gold jerry, gold

Offline LimerickShaw

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2019, 07:24 AM »
I use waterproof mittens that I originally bought for skiing. That way I can clean ice out of the hole if I have to without wrecking my hands. I prefer to make my hands cold when bringing in a fish - not cleaning out a hole.  :)

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2019, 07:31 AM »
Latex surgical while setting up then fingerless wool.

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #10 on: Feb 28, 2019, 10:16 AM »
frabill fxe gauntlet gloves. have had them for years now...totally water proof STILL

Offline MC_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 28, 2019, 10:31 AM »
Ragg wool fingerless gloves 99% of the time. I have 2 pairs, keep one dry in case i get em wet. although they are still warm when wet.

Great for bowhunting too

when it's REALLY cold I have some big mittens I slip over them for when i am setting up or traveling between spots.

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 28, 2019, 10:31 AM »
Clam Renegade

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Feb 28, 2019, 11:04 AM »
Kinco hydroflector
EYECONICFISHING

Offline SHUBA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Shuba
« Reply #14 on: Feb 28, 2019, 11:22 AM »
fingerless wool is my preferred choice
Shuba<br />Hardwater Fanatic

Offline walleymcjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 28, 2019, 11:40 AM »
None. I hate gloves

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 28, 2019, 12:42 PM »
My main criteria for gloves is if I can easily get them on or off easily.  When I fish, I go bare unless there's wind.  Then I want some gloves that give me some protection but can also be easily shed to grab a fish and take the hook out or to put a spike on a hook.  PUtting them back on when hands are slightly wet is also a plus.  Also, I don't want them to get soaking wet if I accidently drop them.

I've got an old pair of insulated leather gloves that are pretty stiff but they work well for the above tasks.  When I'm done fishing and am moving around on the ice I've got a much better pair of gloves with thinsulate that I put on.

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 28, 2019, 01:02 PM »
I use the Kinco Thermal Lining Pigskin Leather for ice fishing and I have a pair of otter mittens while riding ATV's in the winter. My buddy is a trapper and hooked me up with the otter gloves. Hands or always warm and dry.

smitty :tipup:

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 28, 2019, 01:06 PM »
frabill fxe gauntlet gloves. have had them for years now...totally water proof STILL

https://www.fieldsupply.com

I have those too. The frabill gloves in the above site are legit even though the price seems to good to be true. I bought two of each.

Offline Kopower

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 28, 2019, 07:11 PM »
Simms Outdry insulated waterproof gloves. They are curved to the shape of your hand and fully waterproof. Warm enough to the low teens,and they're easy on and off. Spendy at $80, but got a good deal on them for $50

Offline rob45

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Mar 01, 2019, 07:53 PM »
Kinco hydroflector

Yup these are my favorite right now.  I even bought some for my fishing buddies and they also love them.  I fish a lot and these can't be beat for $10.  I'm always using them to grab fish out of the hole and scoop slush out of the hole.  Love em!

Offline Bixx99

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Mar 01, 2019, 08:44 PM »
Thanks ZWiggles I ordered a few pairs, can't beat that price!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #22 on: Mar 02, 2019, 09:38 AM »
Wool glomitts. Half finger gloves that convert to mittens if needed. Sometimes I put a chemical hand warmer in each mitten.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline ronco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 02, 2019, 12:59 PM »
https://www.fieldsupply.com

I have those too. The frabill gloves in the above site are legit even though the price seems to good to be true. I bought two of each.

I wish they had these in my size, they are only showing small and 2x.
The secret to fishing.....fish where the fish are.

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #24 on: Mar 02, 2019, 01:33 PM »

I only wear gloves when real cold and I'm on the move, what I wear is deerskin mittens with thinsulate liners!

IW

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Mar 03, 2019, 12:57 AM »
My main criteria for gloves is if I can easily get them on or off easily.  When I fish, I go bare unless there's wind.  Then I want some gloves that give me some protection but can also be easily shed to grab a fish and take the hook out or to put a spike on a hook.  PUtting them back on when hands are slightly wet is also a plus.  Also, I don't want them to get soaking wet if I accidently drop them.

I've got an old pair of insulated leather gloves that are pretty stiff but they work well for the above tasks.  When I'm done fishing and am moving around on the ice I've got a much better pair of gloves with thinsulate that I put on.

That’s why I wear fingerless wool. I hate taking off and putting back on gloves. With fingerless wool, my finger tips are exposed for dexterity and my hands are covered for warmth. Always. On a good day of fishing, my left glove will be soaked but it’s still warm because of the wool. If it’s a long day on the ice I’ll bring a spare pair of fingerless just for convenience. I wear these (along with the full fingered wool) regardless of temp or wind.

Another thing to consider is how you dress the rest of your body. Keeping your core and the nape of your neck warm contributes a lot to keeping your extremities warm too.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Mar 03, 2019, 10:03 AM »
I use nitrile mechanics gloves- like the latex surgical gloves below but tougher. Unless sit is pretty cold that is all I need. I can tie knots and do anything I need to with them on. I have put them over the thinnest knit gloves, and they are quite warm that way. When not needing fingers, I wear Joka Therm chopper mitts. It is not as cold here in Idaho as the midwest, but I don't use a shanty, and this seems to work well.
 :tipup:

Offline dunnhuntin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Mar 03, 2019, 11:05 AM »
Heavy gks or fxr snowmobile mitts until I start fishing, then no mitts. If my hands are getting cold while fishing I warm them in my pockets. I have a few pairs of north face and under armour liner gloves that are thin enough to still feel a bite if its -15 and I cant go without gloves. I prefer no gloves as it's easier to feel a bite and land fish.

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Mar 03, 2019, 11:25 AM »
frabil  they go back on even if my hand are sticky after being wet and are warm.  i have similar other brand name gloves but they don't go back on as well

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Mar 03, 2019, 06:31 PM »
I layer. Nitrile surgical glove, then a real thin latex finger tipped gardening glove. With those I can still tie lines, bait hooks, etc. once I’m set up that’s what I go with. When walking out I simply throw a pair of skiing gloves on over the top of those. If it’s bitterly cold I have a pair of neoprene/leather gloves with the index finger and thumbs cut out of them. I wear these for work as a mail carrier and they are simply incredible. I haven’t been able to find them for purchase anywhere besides sites specifically catering to the USPS but I will be ordering a few more pairs of these things. They are great for anything I do...fishing, work, shooting, etc.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.