Author Topic: Sled Pulling Harness  (Read 5066 times)

Offline alaska mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Sled Pulling Harness
« Reply #30 on: Mar 02, 2019, 10:54 PM »
I like your wheel setup, looks pretty slick.
Any day on the ice with little to no wind, is a darn good day.

Offline icebites

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Mar 03, 2019, 04:20 AM »
Many of us ice fishermen also hunt and have one of what I use lying around the garage or basement not getting any use. I use an old treestand harness that came with a loggy bayou climber I have had for 20 years. It goes over your shoulders, has a buckle in the front and a strap in the back that would normally go around the tree. I connect the strap with a carabiner to my pull rope.  Works great. 

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Mar 03, 2019, 08:05 PM »
I don't know if that's a conduit build. Looks like an old kid hauler for a bicycle. Either way, pretty slick!!
I like your conduit rack for your jet sled.  Looking at it I would have changed one thing.  You have the U shaped conduit cradling the sled in front and back, then you have a brace under the front and back of the sled.  I would have put the U shaped conduit running along side the sled then a brace under the front and back.  This way the bottom of the U shaped piece would be riding down the ski, instead of running across from ski to ski.  I would think the way you have it, it would catch on any ice chunks, or at the very least it would have to plow through the snow.  It wouldn't be that hard to change it.  Just flip the U pieces of conduit so that they run down each ski from front to back vs. running from ski to ski on both the front and back.  Just a suggestion.

Offline FishnWishn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Mar 04, 2019, 12:56 AM »
Don't want to hijack this thread but yea it is a kids bike trailer that was destined for the dumpster and a $9.99 pair of skis from goodwill. No modifications needed except to remove the soft material and top. Jet sled fit perfectly between the supports. used it for the first time today and came up withe the same conclusion. gonna modify by taking out the u-bracket and go with straight poles to the ski with a pinned coupling, to allow me to break it down flatter. the lift strap to pull it was a game changer. also went with a suggestion someone made earlier and got my son-n-law to haul it on the ice. he was able to run most of the 100 yards to the spot and pull these out.

Offline quackills

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Mar 04, 2019, 04:24 AM »
I use the Clam Harness with the two tow ropes through 8' long X 3/4" dia PVC poles to keep the sled from running me over going downhill.  Works well.

DN
my buddy just made two of these one for me and one for him the only difference was they attached to your belt with two caribeaners, in my case the two d rings on my ice overalls. Worked excellent

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #35 on: Mar 04, 2019, 01:14 PM »
Don't want to hijack this thread but yea it is a kids bike trailer that was destined for the dumpster and a $9.99 pair of skis from goodwill. No modifications needed except to remove the soft material and top. Jet sled fit perfectly between the supports. used it for the first time today and came up withe the same conclusion. gonna modify by taking out the u-bracket and go with straight poles to the ski with a pinned coupling, to allow me to break it down flatter. the lift strap to pull it was a game changer. also went with a suggestion someone made earlier and got my son-n-law to haul it on the ice. he was able to run most of the 100 yards to the spot and pull these out.

Don’t want to hijack the thread, but nice perch!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #36 on: Mar 04, 2019, 03:20 PM »
Smitty Sled......
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Mar 04, 2019, 04:48 PM »
Any good ideas for a pulling harness? My son and I just about killed ourselves dragging our sleds/shelters through the new snow last weekend. We both have ropes long enough to go diagonally across our chests, but for long hauls, there must be something better out there. Something with a little padding like backpack straps but with a chest strap too.

Man Up!!!  Robt Scott and his compatriots manhauled hundreds of pounds of gear to the South Pole and died on the way back.  Real Men!!!

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Mar 04, 2019, 05:03 PM »
Real ‘dead’ Men.  LOL

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #39 on: Mar 04, 2019, 07:01 PM »
They would still be alive if they had smitties..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.