Author Topic: How many of us have broken rods already this year?  (Read 3144 times)

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
How many of us have broken rods already this year?
« on: Jan 30, 2019, 04:51 PM »
Okay.  I'm guilty.

I broke three rods somehow last year until I bought a hard-sided rod case.  I didn't break any after that.  This year, I put my rods in pvc rod holders around a square bucket in a one man flipover and left the hard-sided case in the garage to save on space.  I swore that I could be careful an not break any additional rods.  The rods are obviously exposed, and damned if I didn't break the tip off of another new one that I had only used 3 times.  I may have gotten caught it in my seat, and I didn't notice it until I went out to fish again the following morning.

How many rods have you broken already this season?  It seems like my rods should be made from steel.

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: How many of us have broken rods already this year?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2019, 04:57 PM »
I broke 1. Sitting in the La Z Boy tying on a different jig.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2019, 05:00 PM »
can remember ever breaking an ice rod and i just throw tham in a bucket. I have had everything else imaginable happen to them though.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2019, 05:10 PM »
first time out i broke my first custom noodle rod.  about 3 years ago it frayed from the 2nd guide to the 3rd.  i knew it would be a matter of time.  didn't think it would still last 3 years. 

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2019, 05:16 PM »
i know what would happen though if i spent good money on a custom rod ever. snap.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2019, 06:03 PM »
Haven't broken any rods in the last 60 years. I remember breaking one when I was 6. I put it in my dads truck and shut it on the rod.
<===Lefty===

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2019, 06:11 PM »
Two years ago I shut the cover on a hard case and a tip was sticking out...snap. Last year I built some pvc rod holders.  I notched out where the reel base goes so the handle would slide all the way inside. Unbeknownst to me when I shoved the noodle rods in the line tightened up and bent the tips back 180 degrees, broke two tips.   

Screw that, bought a Striker Transporter.
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2019, 06:34 PM »
I broke one rod in the last 30 years and i didnt do it a 25 pound salmon broke it when i wAs float fishing for fall king salmon.my bro in law has a bucket full of broken ice rods tho.lol

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2019, 06:36 PM »
I didn't break it, my crew broke it for me... >:(

It's either someone poking the tip into something or setting something heavy onto it, or worse yet stepping onto...if not that, then it's lousy placement of luggage and stuff and somethings falling/tipping over while on transport and crack....
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Theshad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2019, 06:41 PM »
Hadnt broken one on a few years. Before the season this year, I was getting a rod ready in my recliner, it fell, I put the leg rest down.....right on it. Broke the tip off.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2019, 08:15 PM »
i know what would happen though if i spent good money on a custom rod ever. snap.

X2.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2019, 05:45 AM »
I should mention I do break a lot of sunglasses. So I go to Walmart and buy the $3.84 ones by 2's.  It would be stupid of me to buy $100 glasses.
<===Lefty===

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2019, 07:53 AM »
Broke a 25-year-old ultralight fiberglass spinning rod while ice fishing.  I'm not as mobile this year and I removed the rod from a holder by grabbing the tip end.  Replaced it with an Ugly Stik GX2 which would not have broken from the same abuse.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2019, 08:19 AM »
I have all custom rods, not like tucr's and jt's either, I mean real customs...I use a bucket, no case - and have never broken a single one. My youngest son has broken two while "fishing" in the back seat of my truck lol

Catchin' Fish

Offline 4eyeman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • eyes are king
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2019, 08:25 AM »
Never broke a rod till this year. Bought a Fenwick Aetos and used for one week. Liked it a lot. Got home one day and took it out of my rod case and the tip down to the first eye was snapped off. Oh well. They make more every day.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2019, 08:26 AM »
Amazingly I have NOT broken any rods yet this season!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 01, 2019, 07:46 PM »
I had to start this stupid thread.

I broke my St. Croix Premier Ice today.  I was cramming my Little Buddy heater into my sled and I think that it caused the reel handle to spin 180 degrees.  The rod was already taught.  It broke off cleanly.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Feb 01, 2019, 10:09 PM »
None. Been using a new brand of rods this year and I would almost say they are unbreakable. I lifted 2lbs with them and nothing happened.... and these are solid carbon rods. I'm VERY impressed. Need a few more fish, up to about 200 or so on them and so far they have worked their way to the top of my list.. hopefully after this season I should have a good report on them. Like I said though, they have moved to the top of my list.

Lets hope it stays at none!!
EYECONICFISHING

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 01, 2019, 11:44 PM »
I should mention I do break a lot of sunglasses. So I go to Walmart and buy the $3.84 ones by 2's.  It would be stupid of me to buy $100 glasses.

Carefull there lefty..  my brother cought pink eye from trying on cheap sunglasses at meijers..  if I buy cheap ones I wI'll at least swab with alcohol before i ware..  after he told me that..

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Feb 01, 2019, 11:50 PM »

I was the same way.. went through 5+ pair of cheapos a year. I bought a pair of expensive glasses for sight fishing bedding bluegills one time and never did break them. That was 6 or 7 years ago and I still wear them almost daily. Once you spend money on them, you start to treat them a little better. Plus the quality is way better, I would scratch up cheapos every trip it seemed like. These have one tiny scratch where I took a piece of sand to the face off the bow of the boat on a big wave going 52mph. Plus the quality.. those cheapos look great until you wear a pair of GOOD glasses.. then the cheapos (even the best) look like you are looking through a coke bottle. Sunglasses are one place I will not cheap out again. I can tell you 100% if I bought a pair of cheap glasses tomorrow, I'd have them broken or scratched by next weekend.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Feb 02, 2019, 05:16 AM »

Carefull there lefty..  my brother cought pink eye from trying on cheap sunglasses at meijers..  if I buy cheap ones I wI'll at least swab with alcohol before i ware..  after he told me that..
I think someone was pulling your leg. Or they just used that for an excuse and it was from some girl he didn't want you to know about.
<===Lefty===

Offline Milwaukee

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Drillin' Holes, Bending Poles
« Reply #21 on: Feb 02, 2019, 06:06 AM »
Thankfully I've never broken an ice rod in my life, but it's kind of a curse because I've broke 4 bass rods last year on the boat.

2 broke from heavy hook-sets, 1 broke fighting a giant pike, next one I sat on, and the last one I'll consider my fault because I should have never let my "friend" use one of my nice rods, it came back with 3 guides missing and my brand new Tatula was grinding.

I got extremely lucky and got every single one of them fixed or replaced for damn near free.
Drillin' Holes, Bending Poles

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 02, 2019, 10:40 AM »
I made new rod holders out of PVC that are long enough to take the rod tip down. Heavier if you carry a lot of long rods, but should keep them safe.

:tipup:

Offline marquette

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 04, 2019, 11:18 AM »
About 5 years ago this topic was discussed. Someone said they had cut pieces of the clear plastic tube you can buy at Home Depot,Lowes,menards,etc to cover fluorescent tubes to keep them from shaddering.  I’ve been using them ever since and haven’t broken a rod. Pull my rod out of the bucket. Pull the tube off and drop it back in the bucket. Quick simple and cheap. 

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 04, 2019, 01:53 PM »
I made this one out of golf bag tubes. Light and easy to work with. Holds 12 rods. I also have the large blue Clam rod case, but this setup is much better.

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 04, 2019, 02:17 PM »
Or they just used that for an excuse and it was from some girl he didn't want you to know about.

:clap:
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline fishonthebrain

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 04, 2019, 09:34 PM »
Broke the tip off one of mine Saturday. At least it's a simple fix to epoxy on a new one.

Offline gunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 04, 2019, 09:41 PM »
I confess—-when I first saw this thread,I said no way will I admit to this!!!  But when I saw how many of my fellow anglers fessed up— not feeling so bad anymore.  Put me on the list— snapped a tip by stepping on it the other day...
                                             Gunner

Offline Captn66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 05, 2019, 07:29 AM »

Last year I rigged this up just to keep my rods more organized. Seemed like when I just tossed them in the bucket they’d get tangled up & stuck together. This sits well in the sled & I can throw some small items in the bottom as well. Since this pic was taken I’ve added another slot on the end that has my small hammer/chisel as well.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 05, 2019, 04:06 PM »
Broke my Frabil Bro quick tip that is one of my favorites for panfish this year...Frabil didn't have just the rod so they sent me the combo.  Got a free reel out of it...too bad the new rod came with a cracked tip  >:(

Waiting on another replacement now.  Might wrap some tying thread around the cracked tip and put epoxy over it...or cut the rod down to the next eye.  Loved that rod!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.