Author Topic: hand augers  (Read 2568 times)

Offline Lone Fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: hand augers
« Reply #30 on: Nov 16, 2009, 10:24 PM »
I was only 14 last year and I drilled 3 holes through about 20 inches of ice scouting on a pond ony to find out that it was froze solid to the bottom except where there was a channel about 9 feet deep. But if there's a will there's a way, right?

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Nov 17, 2009, 12:16 AM »
OK... here's a little math for ya.... if the ice is 12 inches thich....... a 6 inch auger has to cut through / remove 339.12 cubic inches of ice. If you are using and 8" auger, it has to cut through / remove 602.88 cubic inches of ice. That's nearly double the ice to cut for just 2 more inches. I have found that my 6 inch auger is good for nearly everthing I fishing for ... except big pike. Big pike I use an 8" auger for.... . everything else... gills, crappies, perch, walleyes, small pike....... the 6" works out great.......  just my thoughts for ya.....

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #32 on: Nov 17, 2009, 11:29 AM »
Wow, that is cool Melbs!!! I might just have to get a 6" auger section for my power auger. I was just thinking that would lighten up my auger and it would drill even faster!! Fin

Offline sonar man

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GILL MASTER
« Reply #33 on: Nov 17, 2009, 02:45 PM »
I would not go with more then a six inch IMO it just gets to be a pain.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #34 on: Nov 17, 2009, 03:18 PM »
I use a 6" Nils Master all year. I cut through 2' of ice no problem.

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Nov 17, 2009, 09:18 PM »
I've used the 8" for years.With sharp blades I timed myself and could drill a hole in 19" of ice in just under 2 minutes.Actually drilled twenty holes that day but could feel it later on. A few years ago I broke down and bought a gas one because the ice was still 30" thick by mid-April.

Offline Spud_bar

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Poppin' Swedish Pimples since '96
« Reply #36 on: Nov 18, 2009, 03:21 PM »
OK... here's a little math for ya.... if the ice is 12 inches thich....... a 6 inch auger has to cut through / remove 339.12 cubic inches of ice. If you are using and 8" auger, it has to cut through / remove 602.88 cubic inches of ice. That's nearly double the ice to cut for just 2 more inches. I have found that my 6 inch auger is good for nearly everthing I fishing for ... except big pike. Big pike I use an 8" auger for.... . everything else... gills, crappies, perch, walleyes, small pike....... the 6" works out great.......  just my thoughts for ya.....
holy math batman- Very good point. I say, if you want a work out check out my id- haha. I love my  6" sm.
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Offline ispoman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Nov 18, 2009, 05:32 PM »
Dont get an 8" unless youre fishing for orca's. You dont need a whole that big. 6 is almost too big, I use a 4" i could cut thru 3' of ice in 30 seconds. Get a 5" SM lazer best auger for the price. You can use a chain saw too

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #38 on: Nov 18, 2009, 05:39 PM »
i have an 8'' lazer hand auger first time out i had all i could do to drill a hole,then i realized the blades that came on it were from china,called SM told them my problem the sent me brand new swedish blades,now i can drill just as fast as a power auger through up to 10'' of ice after 10'' i bring my power auger

Offline keng52

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Nov 21, 2009, 12:50 AM »
I scrapped a 6" blue mora for my 5" Lazer. The difference was hard to believe. Much, much easier.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.