Author Topic: Black Peppered Golden Shiners w/ a side of Garlic Mashed potatoes!  (Read 3396 times)

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
Been prospecting spots for trapping and found several spots and one good producer of goldens. Only thing is that they appear to have been peppered,small black spots on fins and body. Much like smallmouth that have spent time hanging on the rocks. Is it allright to use these goldens for bait?

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I`m thinkin that I might be able to treat fish in bait tank with anti-parasite Koi pond chemicals like:
http://www.azponds.com/medications.htm if the pepper is indeed a parasite that would harm other fish it comes into contact with.

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
Jeez... Veterinary care for bait?!?!  :P

I think what you are seeing is fish louse and the baitfish get it from where they live. Using them for bait is not likely to cause an outbreak of them in deeper water fishes and also the fish will not get them from swallowing the infested bait.

Use them as is.
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
IMO..  I wouldn't use them unless treated in some way.   No point in taking any chances  introducing something into the waters you (and others) fish...

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Dats y I made the post! The Malachite is probably what I`ll buy. At 5.99 u get enough to treat 5000+ gallons of water! I`m adding Finer Shiner and salt to my tanks, plus I`ll treat once with this stuff to kill the lice ,(if dats what it is). Then I`ll see what they look like. If it don`t look good , I got no problem dumping em back where they came from. I`m always lookin 4 new gold veins to prospect and have several good spots. Last thing I wanna do infect my favorite haunts!(or yours)
______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ _______________

Malachite by Koi Care
Malachite is an effective treatment for external parasite and fungus infections. When used together with formaldehyde its activity is enhanced which means tha less malachite can be used. High doses or frequent repeated dosing can damage the gills of the fish. If the required effect has not been achieved after two treatments, take further advice to establish the real cause of the problem and identify a more appropriate treatment. Please note the warnings on the label and handle the product with care. 
Model Name Koi Care - Malachite
Size 8 oz.
Treats 5284 Gallons
Price $5.99

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
When used together with formaldehyde

Nuff said.

You don't need it. PERIOD

I'll take spots on my apples and birds in my trees anyday.

Offline BaitWrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's a trap!
IMO..  I wouldn't use them unless treated in some way.   No point in taking any chances  introducing something into the waters you (and others) fish...

Using them for bait wouldn't hurt anything.  You wouldn't be introducing anything into a new body of water that isn't already there. This is because the parasites are spread by mainly by birds (mostly herons) and therefore wherever birds go, the parasites go. I've yet in my entire life to see a body of water that did not have the parasite. Even the cleanest ponds in my state have them, as well as an array of other parasitic worms, grubs, nematodes.

This particular parasite has a complex life cycle that requires fish eating birds or mammals, snails, and fish at different stages in order to survive.   With that said, the main stages in this parasites life cycle is when they prey upon birds/mammals and snails.  The stage they are at when they are present on fish is the is just an intermediate phase where they are actively seeking a new host to grow, lay more eggs and reproduce in.  Fortunately for us anglers, fish are NOT the preferred host for their life cycle and the fish are just used for transport to birds and mammals. (Ie, Birds eat fish... these parasites need birds to reproduce, so they affix themselves to fish, tadpoles, etc to gain access to birds.)

With all that mumbo-jumbo said, you can see that it's completely safe to use bait with "black spot" in any water you want. (Provided it's legal in your state to trap bait and transport it.) You can even eat fish with this on it as the cysts aren't harmful when cooked. I never have as I don't really eat fish, but I've read plenty of posts of people saying they have. Plus many publications ive raead say you can eat fish with the parasite.

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
EAD,
You seem to be explaining 'Swimmer's itch' from ducks to aquatic life to fish with a side of human on the side... Ich and louse, along with a few other fish-borne diseases/parasites don't usually have this same cycle, or they have some variant of it.

But what you say is true, albeit you're a bit on the, making me 'squeamish' side.. :o I got used to eating fish over the years, now I'm having second thoughts? Naw, I just don't eat the bait and make sure I am preparing good 'clean' fish...

This is one reason in the northeast US, we don't consume Yellow Perch and Bass as a rule (at least in Maine). For some reason they get infected more commonly than the Whitie's. That's why I will chase humpback White Perch when I'm not after trout of any variety. They are as excellent table-fare as any Yellow Perch or Black bass as I've ever tried. Yes, I have tried both/all just to compare.

The only bait I'll eat is Smelt (about 8" long or better [up to 16"], the rest are for fishing only).

Re: Black Peppered Golden Shiners w/ a side of Garlic Mashed potatoes!

Don't forget the lemon... ;)

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • old nuf to know better, young nuff to do it twice!
you guys cant catch fish so you eat the bait???? haha just kiddin you all prolly do better than me..

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
 I like to start my mornings with a fresh bowl of red maggots. :D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.