Author Topic: Heaters  (Read 2411 times)

Offline Leroy

• IceShanty Rookie
Heaters
« on: Dec 20, 2007, 10:26 AM »
Hi all,

Just looking for recommendations on propane heaters.  I currently have a Coleman heater but it doesn't seem to put out enough heat on really cool days.  What is everyone else using besides wood burning?

Offline hector

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Heaters
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2007, 11:00 AM »
I've got the same kind of heater...I'm thinking that something similar, but with a fan might move the heat around more and heat the shack up faster. Anyone know of such a heater?

strikemaster2

« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2007, 11:09 AM »
try the big buddy heaters they have a fan on them that circulates the air . 8)

Offline hector

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2007, 02:25 PM »
try the big buddy heaters they have a fan on them that circulates the air . 8)

Do the Big Buddies take very long to heat up? Because that's a big downfall to thos Colemans.

Offline Bubba1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2007, 03:28 PM »
I use a Mr. Heater that mounts on top of a 20lb tank. Puts out 14,000 BTU, heats the shack really quick. They cost about 60-70 bucks at Peavy Mart.

Offline nighttime

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2007, 03:49 PM »
i also use a mr heater that mounts on a propane tank. i just dont know how safe it is i am worried about carbon monoxide.
Forced to work born to PLAY

Offline jonesp

• IceShanty Rookie
  • " The schooling is about to begin,my friend."
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2007, 03:52 PM »
I use a Buddy Heater in my portable. Heats it up quick and has an automatic shut-off if the oxygen gets too low.

Offline Leroy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2007, 09:36 PM »
Ya - I think I will get a Mr. Heater with that carbon monoxide detection/shut down feature.  I tend to worry about that a little - I'm never sure if the I ventillate well enough.  Will let you know if I find a good deal.   

pcsminer

« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2007, 10:27 PM »
well if you have a hardside i would suggest a propane burner from a water heater put into a wood burning stove works great!!

Offline hector

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2007, 08:09 AM »
Did a bit of research last night...

The Buddy Heaters look pretty good.
http://www.mrheater.com/productdetails_extended.asp?catid=41&id=116
They cost $189.99 at princess auto and $128.88 on walmart's website (don't know what s&h would be). Coleman also makes a heater with a fanhttp://www.colemancanada.ca/Catalog/HEATERS.en.products
They cost $129.99 on coleman's website and $119.99 on candadian tire's website.

Out of the two I'd go with the Mr. Heater one I think.

Offline Pork Rind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2007, 08:13 AM »
Love the Buddy heater, goes out easy when the wind is blowing other than that love it.   :)
Pork Rind

Clam Pro Staff, Vexilar Pro Staff, Lure Lipstick Pro Staff, Aqua-Vu Pro Staff

Offline powderburns

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2007, 06:57 PM »
Does anyone use a Stansport portable Outdoor Butane heater?

Offline indeeptreble

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Every hour you fish adds an hour to your life!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2007, 10:08 PM »
If you have one of those propane deepfryers just put the burner inside your wood stove an once the shack is warm bring out the deep fryer for the fish and chips, that is if your catching

Offline flyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 28, 2007, 09:24 PM »
I built my aluminum hard side shelter in 1989, and is still going strong. I have always heated it with a kerosene heater, (the tower type). I have 2 small built in air vents as this type requires a small amount of ventilation. I love this unit because it needs almost no maintenance and is cheap to use. I go through a large jug in about 2 months. You can turn the heat right down, which keeps my hut cozy for shirt sleeves fishing. If you turn the heat up you can cook on the stove top on this unit. Only maintenace, beginning of every year, I trim the wick even with a utility knife. I replace the wick finally after 16 years of use. Always use fresh kerosene and use the type make for heaters. Oh yeh, disconnect the trip safety shut off and throw it away, or you will be restarting the thing every time you slightly bump it.       F.B.
The worst day fishing is better than the best day at......heck! you guys already know that!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.