Author Topic: Ion X 10" Auger  (Read 4369 times)

Offline zforste1

• IceShanty Rookie
Ion X 10" Auger
« on: Nov 14, 2017, 01:22 PM »
Has anyone used the Ion X 10" electric auger? i picked up the 8" version on the weekend but i am considering exchanging it for a 10". there is not much information on the internet about the ion X 10" model but some reviews for the older models which all seem pretty consistent to have bogging/ powering out issues....
"Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a day, don't teach a man to fish and feed yourself. He's a grown man and fishing isn't that hard" - Ron Swanson

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ion X 10" Auger
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2017, 04:28 PM »
Ion auger has a Swede-Bore (or Mora) hand auger paired with an electric motor. The blades have to be very sharp for that thing to work. It's difficult to sharpen once you run into dirty ice, and you may spend more on blades than gas-powered auger. The sharpness requirement may be more stringent for a 10" cutter than a 8 incher.

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2017, 06:32 PM »
I'd like to hear from other ION users from Saskatchewan where the weather is cold and the ice is DEEP.  Thanks.
Get outside.  It does a body and mind good!

Offline daniels papa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2017, 07:15 PM »
I have the first ion augers from 2 years ago 8 inch and I really like it .I only dril about 8 holes on an outing but works great for me..

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2017, 09:06 PM »
I think if you are only cutting minimal holes per day in once temps then grea

But reality in sk is cold and lots of ice more times then not so Id stick with gas engine anyday   even if you replace 1 battery every 2 yrs you are still much further ahead price point wise imo

gman51

« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2017, 08:04 AM »
there will always be some of us that have no problems or issues running gas powered augers. and then there is some who like the light weight and ease of electric or propane and not having to mix the fuel..OR NOT (tru-fuel or aspen fuel.) but electric and propane have their own issues also) and i suppose if your spending most of your time in a permy and dont like being smoked out when your cutting or opening up holes. then there are the new generation of ice anglers that have no interest in learning or running older style augers or equipment. the fact is that most people these days want it fast and easy with minimal amount of excursion. and that goes with most things in life now a days. and thats ok.. to each their own..technology moves on.

Offline zforste1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2017, 08:35 AM »
there will always be some of us that have no problems or issues running gas powered augers. and then there is some who like the light weight and ease of electric or propane.( but they to have their own problems) and not having to mix the fuel..OR NOT (tru-fuel or aspen fuel). and i suppose if your spending most of your time in a permy and dont like being smoked out when your cutting or opening up holes. then there are the new generation of ice anglers that have no interest in learning or running older style augers or equipment. the fact is that most people these days want it fast and easy with minimal amount of excursion. and that goes with most things in life now a days. and thats ok.. to each their own..technology moves on.

rip, I think you hit the nail on the head. The weight and ease of use is what i am looking forward to the most. The majority of my fishing is done out of a permy and there has been times that I've stumbled out of the shack after drilling, light headed and with heavy lungs. No more broken recoils, no more engines that wont start or wont run. albeit, the battery will require maintenance, but my pro's still outweighed my con's...
"Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a day, don't teach a man to fish and feed yourself. He's a grown man and fishing isn't that hard" - Ron Swanson

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2017, 09:31 AM »
 if you're not stuck on the 10" i would look at returning the ion and going with a milwaukee fuel hammer drill, adapter and a hand auger.  i've had mine for 4 years and use it all season long, plus run the drill at work the rest of the year.  can get about 12-15 holes through 30" ice on one 4ah battery.

i just ordered an 8" k-drill auger that is supposed to be the cats pajamas for opening old holes, so hopefully  no more bumping the hardside to find fresh ice.

i also see they're selling the clam drill plate at canadian tire now.  i like mine, keeps the drill up out of the snow when you set it down and eliminates the chance of the auger coming lose in the chuck.

the hammer drill with 2 5ah batteries and charger can be had for $300, hand auger $100 and clam plate $100.  pricy but still comes in less than any ion i've seen.  just something to think about.

Offline Sparetimeangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 2017, 10:29 AM »
I got 10’ jiffy propane, works amazing. When me and my buddies go out its nothing to drill like 50 holes a day on nice days. One lb tank of propane lasts me like 3/4 of the season. And no awful fumes when drilling in the shack. I highly recommend them. Think i paid 600 at cabelas. Little heavy but drills fast.

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2017, 10:32 AM »
My father in law and his buddy who fish out of their permy bought an ION a couple years ago.  They like it, although they only drill a couple more holes outside the shack.  Works for them.  On the other hand, I like to drill a lot of holes until I find 'em.  I don't mind carrying my auger around. 
Get outside.  It does a body and mind good!

Offline Rockfish24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 15, 2017, 10:57 AM »
The 10" ion has the chipper type blades different from the 8" which from what I understand do better in the dirty ice.  They look identical to the blades on my eskimo shark 10".  My friend has a 10" ion and i used it quite a bit last year up to 30" ice.  It wasn't as fast as my z71 but the ease and convenience was worth it in my opinion.  I picked up the ion x 10" this year and haven't had a chance to try it yet.  I don't think it has more power then the older models i think its just a better battery.  5 amp hours vs 3 on the older ones.  If you like fishing in a 10" hole i say go for it.  I have a spare battery and and can't see myself running out of that much juice.

Offline zforste1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 15, 2017, 11:52 AM »
The 10" ion has the chipper type blades different from the 8" which from what I understand do better in the dirty ice.  They look identical to the blades on my eskimo shark 10".  My friend has a 10" ion and i used it quite a bit last year up to 30" ice.  It wasn't as fast as my z71 but the ease and convenience was worth it in my opinion.  I picked up the ion x 10" this year and haven't had a chance to try it yet.  I don't think it has more power then the older models i think its just a better battery.  5 amp hours vs 3 on the older ones.  If you like fishing in a 10" hole i say go for it.  I have a spare battery and and can't see myself running out of that much juice.

Nice to hear of someone who is/has used the 10" before. from what i can tell from their website, the X models have a new cast bottom on the auger which is different than previous models. that, along with the bigger battery is what sparked my interest of going up a size...

Offline Rockfish24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 15, 2017, 12:24 PM »

Thanks.  Heres a picture of the blades I see the website isn't clear about the blade difference on the 10".  Like I said it won't cut as fast as the higher power gas auger but I don't mind the difference at all.  We spent on few days on Lake Temogami last year with 30" of ice and had no issues with the 10".  He had to buy the 10" separate last year.  Its nice they offer it as a package now.  We fish Lake Simcoe most of the winter and I prefer the 10" over the 8".

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 15, 2017, 12:26 PM »
You guys way up north that get very thick ice and also prefer bigger holes might also consider the Milwaukee Mud Mixer.  I just got one because I wanted one.  It's a beast compared to the Fuel Drill.  I already have a Milwaukee Fuel on a K-Drill, but wanted to try a Mud Mixer-8" Nils Power Point combo.  Won't be able to actually test it out for a month or better down here though.  I got two 9ah High Demand batteries to power up the Mud Mixer.  I'm expecting to have hole drilling monster on my hands.  I'm guessing the Mud Mixer could be a viable alternative for spinning a 10" auger for you guys. It has 7 fixed speed detents that you set from a dial, from about 100 rpm to "Max" which I believe is 550 rpm (haven't read all of the documentation yet).  The Mud Mixer with a 9ah battery on it weighs 8.5 pounds by itself.

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline Rockfish24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 15, 2017, 12:49 PM »
Might be something to consider.  I've seen the power drills in action and they are pretty slick and light.  I thought about a k-drill to use when i perch fish but I need to hold off.  It just never ends. 

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 15, 2017, 06:50 PM »
Ive seen the milwaukee in action  its impressive

if you're not stuck on the 10" i would look at returning the ion and going with a milwaukee fuel hammer drill, adapter and a hand auger.  i've had mine for 4 years and use it all season long, plus run the drill at work the rest of the year.  can get about 12-15 holes through 30" ice on one 4ah battery.

i just ordered an 8" k-drill auger that is supposed to be the cats pajamas for opening old holes, so hopefully  no more bumping the hardside to find fresh ice.

i also see they're selling the clam drill plate at canadian tire now.  i like mine, keeps the drill up out of the snow when you set it down and eliminates the chance of the auger coming lose in the chuck.

the hammer drill with 2 5ah batteries and charger can be had for $300, hand auger $100 and clam plate $100.  pricy but still comes in less than any ion i've seen.  just something to think about.

Offline Blue Hog Ridr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 16, 2017, 03:28 AM »
Ion X 10. Want to pay $269.00 for a spare battery.   How long would that be good for.   I'm 4 years in on my Eskimo and still going strong.   

5 bucks worth of gas and I drill a lot of holes for that.   
Fishing is good for your Mind, Body and Soul.
Actually catching a fish or two is a nice by product of a day well spent.

The next time that you don't feel like going into work, don't give your Boss any excuses (Hes heard them all), just say, "I'm going fishing, wanna come".

Offline rkive00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 18, 2017, 12:57 PM »
I bought the eskimo 8" propane for the last 2 years and love it al you have to do is keep the tank in the truck and she cranks the first or second pull all the time and 4ft of ice no problem, I like the no smell and the no carb adjustments.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.