Author Topic: Sleeper Shack Build  (Read 33588 times)

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Sleeper Shack Build
« Reply #120 on: Apr 30, 2019, 07:50 AM »
That looks really nice. 
Did you think of the shrink wrap they use on boats for the roof? Saw someone do it and it worked great..     jmo..
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #121 on: May 01, 2019, 07:50 PM »
Walleyebird I thought you might use rubber roofing to eliminate the seam where roof changes pitch. I'm looking forward to seeing photos of the completed shanty in use next ice fishing season.
Steve

Of course! I hope to use it a lot more! Just picked up a generator off of marketplace. A generac p2200. Supposedly only a couple hours on it for $200. So I think we’ll set the rattle reels and watch movies a lot this winter! Just gotta make it comfortable and enjoyable for her and the puppy to come along.

My biggest question is whether or not to panel the inside of it. I’m trying to stay as light as possible but she really likes the finer things in life. Haha.

That looks really nice. 
Did you think of the shrink wrap they use on boats for the roof? Saw someone do it and it worked great..     jmo..

Yeah I’d just be worried about the long term durability of it. Plus I don’t really have a source for it at all. Figure by doing it all summer I can work my way through each process over time and not worry quite as much about the cost of each part.

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #122 on: May 09, 2019, 11:17 AM »
Got another day to work on the shack. Put in drip edge around the whole thing (noticed the old frame and runners were holding moisture in the seam). Also added another window and sided one side. Wound up filling the cut off rafter spot with a ripped 1x4 board.

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #123 on: Sep 11, 2019, 10:20 PM »
Well I’m fonna drag this one back ttt. I’ve started working on her again after a very busy summer. I wound up finishing the siding and roof trim before tarping it and leaving it. 

So my most pressing issue was how to haul it (unable to move it in the driveway all summer wasn’t ideal). I wound up custom ordering a galvanized steel trailer locally. I am SUPER impressed with the build quality of these trailers if anyone is interested. It is essentially a 7x12 with a torsion axle built by G-Force trailers in Manawa WI.

Who would’ve guessed twice the shack would weigh twice as much! Currently looking for an electric winch.

Finally loaded up and out of my driveway 6 months later!

Just the trailer. I am a steel guy. If you like aluminum, then good for you. I saw galvanizing as a happy medium.

Next I’m replacing the plywood door to something that won’t warp when it gets wet (and let the cold in), gluing the rubber roof on, and installing the new empire furnace!

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #124 on: Sep 15, 2019, 05:25 PM »
Got around to finishing the roof trim and replaced the door.

Trim is standard L8 fascia. Had to go that tall since I cut off the old eaves and had to cover that 4” of board.

Door was just a different color steel sheet I had laying around that I screwed to a little wood frame.

Caulked all the gaps and protrusions in the roof today too. Epdm is getting glued tomorrow.

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #125 on: Sep 17, 2019, 07:45 PM »
Well the epdm is down. First day was latex glue for the base of everything. Due to the compound angle at the peak I had to seam it.

To do the seam I overlapped it about a foot and used the multi purpose adhesive (contact cement). It says to buy their special splicing tape to do seams but that stuff is just way too expensive. This stuff grabbed like crazy so I’m not too worried. Just to add extra security I added a 12” cover strip over the seam. Crappy thing is that doing it myself and not knowing what I was doing led me to lay it pretty crooked. Oh well. It won’t leak anyway.

I will say the latex adhesive is much more forgiving if anyone is wondering for future reference.

Seam with super crooked cover strip.

Just the seam

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #126 on: Sep 22, 2019, 09:45 PM »
Wound up gluing all the edges down to the fascia with the multi purpose glue. Should make setting the edge trim straight a breeze since I won’t have to be stretching anything. That was a nightmare the first time when nothing was glued.

Does anybody know what this glue is based out of though? I got a little messy and would like to clean it up.

Says it’s solvent based, but dipping the brush in gasoline did not thin it at all. Kept the brush workable though anyway.

What is the multi purpose adhesive based out of?

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #127 on: Oct 11, 2019, 11:49 AM »
Well Work has continued.
I used the standard termination bars they sell at menards all the way around. Found that acetone cleans up the excess adhesive easy enough (takes the paint off too if you scrub too hard).

After finishing the termination bars I took it for its first trip at highway speeds. I will say this thing pulls awesome! Much more confident pulling now. The snowmobile trailer and square face was scary to reach 45 mph. Now 70 is no problem. I really hope to take this shack some cool places this year!

Just ordered led lights for inside and out. A thermostat for the empire heater.

Will post pics after furnace and lights are installed.

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #128 on: Oct 22, 2019, 07:40 PM »
Well Work has continued. My interior seems to really be coming together. Put the pontoon battery in the shack for now.

Wiring included an (expensive) switch panel with dc and phone charging outlet, two switchable interior rv lights, 400W inverter, flat panel tv, and an outdoor RV style LED porch light.

Also got the heater mounted and operating. Starting to figure that I’m gonna need to do some adjustment (and the heater is probably too big). First swing without any fans running, it turned on at 68 then off at 78. This is all fine but the residual heat in the heater brought it up to 90 or so. Gonna have to tighten up the thermostat a little.

Only thing left inside is to finish insulating, add a fold out bench/bed, a couple computer fans, and catch covers.

Outside is pretty much done. Will post pictures tomorrow of outside.

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #129 on: Oct 22, 2019, 08:20 PM »

The exterior now all buttoned up. Had to make a bump out for the heater flue because it requires a minimum of 4.5” Wall space.

Offline PikePetersen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #130 on: Oct 22, 2019, 09:27 PM »
How many BTU’s is that heater?

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #131 on: Oct 23, 2019, 06:00 AM »
Smokin!!!!

Kudos to the creative!
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #132 on: Oct 23, 2019, 06:45 AM »
very nice job

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #133 on: Oct 23, 2019, 07:59 AM »
Looks like it's gonna be warm!

Love your trailer. If they made an enclosed inline snowmobile trailer with a galvanized frame, I would own one. And why, WHY ON EARTH, aren't truck frames galvanized? I have a galvanized boat trailer from 1996 that gets used in the salt and it looks brand new.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #134 on: Oct 25, 2019, 11:53 AM »
Heater is a 25k.
Would’ve preferred a 15k but this one came up used at a smoking deal.

Thank you for the complements guys! Appreciate it. Love these projects to keep me busy and out of trouble.

I do really like my trailer as well so far. Would recommend Alpha out of Manawa WI any day. Built super stout.

Yesterday I picked up some used catch covers and did more insulating.

Gonna try and build a bunk tonight.

Offline goalie35

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #135 on: Oct 31, 2019, 08:41 AM »
Awesome shack! Nice to see another Shanty member on here from Wausau!

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #136 on: Nov 05, 2019, 06:10 PM »
Few more additions.

Wound up going with a built in bed/couch. I wasn’t so sure because I didn’t want any more weight up front than I had to (for towing with atv). But with it done I am super happy with it! It is a 3” thick foam mattress topper covered with a teddy bear rv mattress cover. It is plenty comfy and spacious to sleep me and the mrs. And adds more seating/storage without taking as much room as I thought!

Also I got a set of custom fish pattern curtains from the mrs. For my birthday. Look super nice!

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #137 on: Jan 16, 2020, 11:51 AM »
Just an update. Finally got the shanty out this past weekend. Spent Saturday-Monday out on the BEP.

Everything went really well thankfully! Had 7” of ice and pulled it out with the atv. Caught probably 8 walleye, 1 of which was 21”. Those were all Saturday night. Otherwise soaked 6 lines for 14 hours Sunday and didn’t catch anything.

The mrs and dog had a good time cuddled up on the bed most of the weekend and said she would love to go again! So that’s good!

Only issue was I found some drafts to seal up and will need to move the thermostat. Otherwise everything worked nicely!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.