The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Lake Seymour advice for newcomer  (Read 1144 times)

Offline alynch

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake Seymour advice for newcomer
« on: Jan 19, 2017, 11:15 AM »
Hello Guys,

I am looking to go to Lake Seymour this weekend for the first time. I am hoping to catch some Lakers/Salmons.

Any advice on where to start and what technique to use? Are you guys using live baits?

I have a fish finder so I was thinking of drilling holes at different depth and try to find the fish!

Thank you so much!! :)

Offline walleyeicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'd Rather be Ice Fishing
Re: Lake Seymour advice for newcomer
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2017, 01:40 PM »
That lake is full of lakers you can pretty much fish anywhere and get dink lakers.  Salmon early ice usually fish right under the ice. 

Good luck

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2017, 02:03 PM »
If you have a Flasher you can jig for Lakers there, white is the color I've had best luck with there.
Good luck.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline alynch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2017, 02:21 PM »
I was planning to try to catch some smelt early in the day then use 3 tip ups with it... Then jigging with my fourth allowed line.

Is there any tackle shop nearby that sell Smelts? I never tried to catch them and not sure where they are so might be easier to just buy them if they are available.

Whats the best part of the lake for Lakers? I wanted to start near the state boat launch.

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2017, 02:57 PM »
All around the launch is pretty decent for numbers of fish, just watch out for the brook that feeds out on the left side- that ice can stay thin. You can jig smelt up with a hali or teardrop jig literally just off the access. Otherwise shiners will work, especially if you cut a slab of meat off one side and use that jigging.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2017, 09:45 PM »
Agreed on avoiding the inlet area. This was when there was 11 inches of black ice everywhere else:
[/URL]

As has been said you can hammer small lakers on tips or jig anywhere on the lake. They bite all night long, and you may even hook into a burbot late at night. I have been there only once and landed over 20 fish in the day and half I was there. No keepers but stayed busy.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.