The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Avoiding getting stripped on tipups?  (Read 1275 times)

Offline Icemanvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Avoiding getting stripped on tipups?
« on: Feb 11, 2013, 10:52 AM »
Been getting stripped alot on tip ups lately.  anyone have any advice on why this happens. hooking bait wrong? wrong size hook? any ideas would be great! thanks!
FLAG!!

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Avoiding getting stripped on tipups?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2013, 10:57 AM »
depending on what type of tip ups you use. put the edge of the flag on the trigger as far out on the end as possible. you can also bend the tips so they have less resistance. always make sure you set up with the wind blowing toward the trigger, if you know what i mean to avoid wind flags.

Offline Icemanvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2013, 11:02 AM »
Right in front of the dorsal fin, or in between head and dorsal. 
FLAG!!

Offline flagfishon

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You should have seen it! It was huge!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2013, 11:04 AM »
I have mine set up for pike, and use quick strike rigs with treble hooks.

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2013, 11:59 AM »
What style of tip up are you using?

I ask because I have Heritage style and learned that when you first set the tip up in the water the wood will swell around the spool axle (this takes some time, not sure how much, maybe an hour?) then you have to go and adjust the drag setting to loosen it back up. One time I went to check tip up and found a 18" pike on the hook but never tripped the flag.......the wood had swelled around the spool axle thereby tightening the drag so much the line would not spool off.

Here is a closer look at the spool and axle: the wood swells when you first set out the tip up. Perhaps sealing the wood with something like Thompsons Water seal or something would be an improvement, I just soak and adjust, seems to work.

Offline Icemanvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2013, 12:37 PM »
Yes I have had this problem, but usually do check it thanks.  I have a few of those but more of the older styles that dont have a drag.  Mostly use polar tipups and the flag goes off when I get stripped. ???
FLAG!!

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2013, 12:46 PM »
Switch to treble hooks?

Offline troutslayer 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • big ray
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2013, 12:52 PM »
if ur pwerch fisshing hook the minnows right thru the nose if ur useing bigger bait for pike trout thread them and use trebs u wont miss them then!
aka half rack 23 willoughby

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2013, 03:10 PM »
Are there bass where you are fishing by any chance?  They are good at taking bait into structure, and getting them off the hook.

Offline Icemanvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2013, 05:54 PM »
I am sure there are bass but mostly targeting trout.  I think im going to try a few with trebles and larger hooks!
FLAG!!

Offline Troutmagnet

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2013, 05:59 PM »
What style of tip up are you using?

I ask because I have Heritage style (Image removed from quote.)and learned that when you first set the tip up in the water the wood will swell around the spool axle (this takes some time, not sure how much, maybe an hour?) then you have to go and adjust the drag setting to loosen it back up. One time I went to check tip up and found a 18" pike on the hook but never tripped the flag.......the wood had swelled around the spool axle thereby tightening the drag so much the line would not spool off.

Here is a closer look at the spool and axle: (Image removed from quote.) the wood swells when you first set out the tip up. Perhaps sealing the wood with something like Thompsons Water seal or something would be an improvement, I just soak and adjust, seems to work.
I took the reels off my rigs and replaced the shaft with a longer threaded bolt so I could install additional nuts and washers to isolate the spool from the wood. Changes to the wood no longer impact the drag on the reels. You can actually set the drag for almost zero resistance which works great when the fish are fussy.

Offline Fish Wayniac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2013, 07:38 PM »
I also use Heritage laker tipups.Some of them wouldnt trip well. I filed the notch where the flag rod rests,works great now.

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 11, 2013, 07:47 PM »
I am sure there are bass but mostly targeting trout.  I think im going to try a few with trebles and larger hooks!

Anyone had any luck with the rubber band trick?  Thought I heard something about that last year.

Offline flagfishon

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You should have seen it! It was huge!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 11, 2013, 11:36 PM »
I just set mine up with them, but haven't had a chance to try them out yet.  You'll want the cheapest/weakest rubber bands that you can get.  I got the smallest ones at staples and they are still a little too strong.  The idea is that it will provide just enough pull to set the hook, and then break. 

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #14 on: Feb 11, 2013, 11:39 PM »
Here is a closer look at the spool and axle: (Image removed from quote.) the wood swells when you first set out the tip up. Perhaps sealing the wood with something like Thompsons Water seal or something would be an improvement, I just soak and adjust, seems to work.

the second pic is a 40up tipup.... actually it's my 40up tipup! ;D but the wood never swells on my tipups.... at least not to the point where it messes with the reel spinning.... glad it got out of the other board haha

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline vtpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2013, 11:40 PM »
Trout and salmon are notorious for doing this...I know they use rubber bands in Maine..don't know excatly how they do it though

Offline jonserfish1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hi, my name is Jeff and I'm a fishahaulic!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 12, 2013, 04:50 AM »
The rubber band doesn't  need to break. . wrap it around the bottom most part of the trap below the spool.  tuck a small pinch of line under the band, the fish will pull it free before setting off the flag. not sure how this will stop you from being stripped though. usually used to eliminate large bait from setting off your flags. when pike fishing i actually tuck half of the button under as well to keep 9"-10" bait from setting it off.

Offline fishon35

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 12, 2013, 04:54 AM »
The rubber band doesn't  need to break. . wrap it around the bottom most part of the trap below the spool.  tuck a small pinch of line under the band, the fish will pull it free before setting off the flag. not sure how this will stop you from being stripped though. usually used to eliminate large bait from setting off your flags. when pike fishing i actually tuck half of the button under as well to keep 9"-10" bait from setting it off.

Can you post a picture of how to do this?  Thanks!

Offline dave b.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • waitin for winter
« Reply #18 on: Feb 12, 2013, 06:37 AM »
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=204265.msg2009369#msg2009369

This is the thread about the rubberband trick. It works. Scroll down to the bottom of page 1 for pics on how to rig it up.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.