The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Does EVERYONE fish with electronics now?  (Read 3325 times)

Offline vtbuckrulrss

• Team IceShanty Regular
Does EVERYONE fish with electronics now?
« on: Dec 24, 2012, 10:42 AM »
Whatever happened to cutting holes and dropping a line/ tip up in, giving it a bit, then moving if you haven't a bite?  I know this is similar to deer hunting with trail cams, but really, hasn't it turned fishing into a video game?  I don't have any electronics, not sure if I ever want to. What is more important, fishing for the sake of fishing, or HAVING to catch a fish to make you feel good about your time spent on the ice?  As long as I am out there, I am happy, catching something is just a bonus.
Silly rookies, traps are for animals!!  Tilts are for kids!!  Fishermen use tip ups!

Offline swampdonkeyvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Does EVERYONE fish with electronics now?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2012, 10:48 AM »
i dont, seems like a waste of 500 bucks, or however much they are. id rather spend that kinda money on like a striker ice float suit.
fish on

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2012, 10:49 AM »
Choice is yours, I wont go without mine. Then again I like to go out and catch not just fish.

Here is an Astronomy lesson - The world revolves around the sun, not you!

Offline vtbuckrulrss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2012, 10:49 AM »
Or on a nice shanty! Portable or hardsided, that would buy something decent.
Silly rookies, traps are for animals!!  Tilts are for kids!!  Fishermen use tip ups!

Offline vtbuckrulrss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2012, 10:51 AM »
Choice is yours, I wont go without mine. Then again I like to go out and catch not just fish.

I guess I liken it to some types of hunting.. once you have successfully fished an area, you know that a good percent of the time the fish will either be there, or they won't.  If they won't, then I don't go back.  With that in mind, what would be the reason to buy the electronics?  Call me old fashion, I guess.

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2012, 10:54 AM »
Does everyone fish with electronics? Nope, only the smart ones! Haha I'm kidding, but in all seriousness, you don't have to spend 500 to get a tool that will gaurentee you find fish. You can spend $200 for one that will help you more than anything you've ever bought. Having a flasher makes ice fishing much more exciting and as long as your willing to be mobile it will gaurentee you don't get skunked.

Offline ruby slipper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2012, 10:54 AM »
I just started using a vex last year and I catch many more fish with it. I have always had fun ice fishing,now I just have more fun catching more, reading and watching fish react to my jig. I won't speak to all the pros of using a vex but I certainly won't fish without it. To each his or her own.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2012, 10:55 AM »
I have a sounder and a camera, I don't always pull them out and use. I almost always use a sounder on new waters. It is a great tool and time saver, but I catch plenty of fish with out it...

Offline ruby slipper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2012, 10:58 AM »
I guess I liken it to some types of hunting.. once you have successfully fished an area, you know that a good percent of the time the fish will either be there, or they won't.  If they won't, then I don't go back.  With that in mind, what would be the reason to buy the electronics?  Call me old fashion, I guess.

Electronics will tell you if there are fish below you in an instant,that way you can stay or leave an area without having to unknowingly wait while jigging. Drill an area out and walk around checking each hole,then jig the one with fish.

Offline vtbuckrulrss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 24, 2012, 11:07 AM »
ok, so it's a matter of convenience for some.  Would/could you ever fish without having them by your side? It just seems like it would take away from the experience a bit.  When fishing becomes like more of a job than fun, it's time to hang up the jig stick.

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 24, 2012, 11:11 AM »

I'm sure it depends on the lakes that you fish, to put it in a little more perspective. The lakes I mainly fish have little structure and the fish do not seem to relate to what little there is in the ice season, these lakes are big mud bowls of a relatively similar depth within a few feet in the main basin(137,700 acres 30 miles by 10 miles). Without electronics and drilling sometimes over a hundred holes per outing you would be lucky if you ever caught a fish the whole season. The fish schools roam the vast open water following bait, you can catch them here  one day and may find a school a half mile or 2 miles away the next day. We try to have a group of 3 or 4 of us spread out with 50 yards between us and we keep drilling and checking for fish with our electronics until we find some.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #11 on: Dec 24, 2012, 11:19 AM »
I fished over thirty years without electronics. I can assure you that you won't find me on the ice without at least my Vexilar ever again.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Dec 24, 2012, 11:21 AM »

I prefer to use one when fishing for perch and eyes , but to each their own 

Offline jonny jigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 24, 2012, 11:26 AM »
i wouldn't go out there with out my vex i fish allot for money and to catch fish. yes it great being out there and having fun but there nothing like pulling fish in one after another not only that it take out the guessing game were they are. as for hunting take a track and go until you get him

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
« Reply #14 on: Dec 24, 2012, 11:27 AM »
Vex for me.

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 24, 2012, 11:55 AM »
The only way i'd be fishing without my electronics is if i'd never used one before. After watching a guy using one, and him allowing me to WATCH him using it, i'll never intentionally go out again without mine. Truth be told, you dont know what you're missing until you try one.

Offline catchn_a_shiv

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 24, 2012, 12:09 PM »
Just tracked my order through UPS and my new Lowrance Elite 4x should be on my doorstep in a few hours!

Offline bluefish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 24, 2012, 12:47 PM »
I don't find them very useful in real shallow water (<5') but in deep water looking for suspended fish they're a must. So nice to watch your jig/bait and stop it at the right depth.
I run with scissors.............. .

Offline dylan8351

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Its got some weight to it!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 24, 2012, 03:05 PM »
I use my vex pretty much every day unless I'm sight fishing!
I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money. You can keep "The Change"

Offline northernfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 24, 2012, 03:48 PM »
 Already have a shanty, Arctic armor, and everything else I want, so now I  have a brand new lx-7 under the tree, Just waiting on some safe ice to try it out on!!!!

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #20 on: Dec 24, 2012, 03:55 PM »
Some people JUST MAY ENJOY fishing with electronics.. I know I do.

Maybe, just maybe, every person's vision of what they want to get out of ice fishing is different? We don't question why people fish without flashers.. So why question why some people prefer fishing with one?

"Don't knock it 'till you try it."- Anonymous

Offline dave bartlett

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 24, 2012, 04:14 PM »
      I dont use them at this time just because i dont jig much.I go for walleyes all the time and have for 47 years this year but,i will purchase a underwater camera just so i can see if theres any around.I do jig when i have jacks set up and i won't tell you that i will never buy a vexillar because i'd probably be telling a lie.When you get older it seems like the right thing to do.I will be doing more jigging too this year after i learn a few tricks from fish hounds.

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 24, 2012, 04:16 PM »
3yrs ago a few old guys were on this pond when we showed up. I grabbed the power auger and started punching a grid of holes. My son, 8 at the time starts going through checking holes stopping and fishing the ones with active fish and throwing keepers on the ice. In a half hour he had probably caught 30 fish. Between the three of them I saw them ice ONE. Mind you we aren't but 20' from them as this is the local spot. They picked up and left.
2yrs ago I went to a lake and was the only sole there. then this kid about 13 or 14 shows up on a bicycle with a rod in his back pack. He had no auger or spud. H e walks around looking for holes he can open with the heal of his boot. He saw me using my Marcum hole hopping and catching fish so he came over and we talked fishing and I showed him how electronics are used and iced a few gills while he watched.
He seemed like a good kid and was very respectful. I walked up to the truck and got my spare flasher and let him use it for the afternoon. His day probably went from a few fish day to hole hopping fun and catching fish day.
Enjoyment of icefishing is different for everyone. I enjoy my icefishing days well into summer with fish frys.

Offline Grnmtn

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 24, 2012, 08:19 PM »
After you use one you will find it is just as important as your auger. When I started many moons ago, 70's. we didn't have them and we caught plenty of fish, but when we jumped on to the band wagon it was so cool to watch your jig go down to the spot as the fish came up and then concentrate on the jiggy bob just tip over slightly and Bang a fish one you may never have know was there. Or drop your flasher lure down the hole and jig it a few times  and see the perch come in from surounding areas and then sit there till you hit the perfect wiggle to draw them into the jig. They really allow you to catch those fish you never would have known were there or the ones that may have been a bit shy. Not for everyone I guess, but I like to have enough fish on the ice at the end of the day for the hot oil and the fish tacos to follow.

Offline monoped

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 24, 2012, 08:36 PM »
I,m no techie believe me! Put off electronics quite a while. Now with vexilar i know what i leave with the hole. Hoppin you can pic on active fish and leave reluctant ones. At least i know if they are there or passing through and can change presentations when active fish decline.
I find it useful,similar to soft water,it can take more than just finding them! If nothing else it helps where to fish. Sometimes that alone is worth it.
Hole in ice attracts loose and dropped objects.
Value adds speed.

Offline JigChaser08

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I Was Fishin'
« Reply #25 on: Dec 24, 2012, 08:36 PM »
to not use one is insane...its like not using scent control while deer hunting.
Henry

Offline vtpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 24, 2012, 09:18 PM »
To each their own, but you won't often catch me out without mine!

Offline icejumper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 24, 2012, 09:50 PM »
VEX  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :icefish:

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 24, 2012, 10:27 PM »
I hate to even admit this, but if my battery goes dead or flasher stops working I pack up and leave. I usually carry a spare in my truck now so I only have to travel back to shore but unless I can sight fish I wont fish without a flasher or camera. Just the way it is for me, I don't expect or want everyone to be like me, this is totally a personal choice for everyone. I love to be out fishing but I love it better if i am catching fish. I rarely keep fish for myself anymore, if somebody is along that wants them they can have them, otherwise back down the hole they go.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 24, 2012, 10:47 PM »
I'm always fishing new lakes and always exploring new areas in lakes I've fished regularly.  I couldn't do it with out my flashers, I won't fish with it out them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.